How long does it take to get used to a 7?

• Thread starter KailM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Longtime member here — yet I’ve never owned a 7-string guitar.🤣

My local store just posted a sweet Ibanez RG with BKP Aftermaths— so I went in to take a look and a test run. It is used, but in like new condition and appears to be a higher quality guitar than my Schecters and my LTD. I’d be trading in one of my Schecters that I neither love nor hate— and could probably get this Ibby for around $5-600.

Thing is, I sound terrible on the thing. You’d think having just one more string would be no big deal, but my hands are idiotic with it.🤣. It was tuned to drop-A, so I tuned it up to B-standard and got along with it better. But still. Should I make the move? I know what you’re going to say…

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, do you want a 7-string? Because, if so, I think it's best to start with a quality one but not a stupid expensive one. A solid Ibanez that's $600 sounds like the perfect way to dip your toes in the water. You know, don't go dropping $4K on a Skervesen.

As for your question, someone else can probably answer better than me. I just dabble in 7-strings, so I'm no expert. But I did find the adjustment period to be pretty quick. That doesn't mean I'm great at making full use of the range, but after a few noodling sessions with my 7 I found it easy enough to pick up and start writing riffs.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah, if you're comfy on a 6 then it won't take long to get used to a 7. Like a week maybe if you play it every day at most?

The main thing (imho of course), it to make sure it's setup properly, and with the correct string gauge for the tuning you're in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Most people look at guitar from low to high strings. When they hit the low E string they don't aim at the 6th string, they slam at the "first one" in the way :lol: You can't do that when you add more strings. So the E string kinda becomes the A string on a 6, etc.

The moment you realize you can't just slam the B string and hope everything sounds the same, you'll be fine. I haven't owned a 6-string in years.

KailM

Reaction score
Well, do you want a 7-string? Because, if so, I think it's best to start with a quality one but not a stupid expensive one. A solid Ibanez that's $600 sounds like the perfect way to dip your toes in the water. You know, don't go dropping $4K on a Skervesen.

As for your question, someone else can probably answer better than me. I just dabble in 7-strings, so I'm no expert. But I did find the adjustment period to be pretty quick. That doesn't mean I'm great at making full use of the range, but after a few noodling sessions with my 7 I found it easy enough to pick up and start writing riffs.

Kind of. I like to have my various guitars setup for a variety of tuning ranges. I like the idea of having a standard E setup but with the addition of a low B so I can play a huge variety of styles on one guitar. I don’t see myself needing anything lower than A. I don’t play ‘modern’ metal per se, but I like traditional death metal down to B. I’m not sure the Aftermaths are the right pickups for me, but it’s impossible to tell unless I play through my rigs (5153 and a 6505).

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kind of. I like to have my various guitars setup for a variety of tuning ranges. I like the idea of having a standard E setup but with the addition of a low B so I can play a huge variety of styles on one guitar. I don’t see myself needing anything lower than A. I don’t play ‘modern’ metal per se, but I like traditional death metal down to B. I’m not sure the Aftermaths are the right pickups for me, but it’s impossible to tell unless I play through my rigs (5153 and a 6505).
I have Aftermath's in one of my 7's and yeah, they take some getting used to. It took me a long time before I could dial in a tone that I was kinda happy with. Some people love them, but they're a little honky to me and I always seem to be fighting that a bit.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
The transition isn't really hard from 6 string ime.
8 strings were much harder to transition ime.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Most people look at guitar from low to high strings. When they hit the low E string they don't aim at the 6th string, they slam at the "first one" in the way :lol: You can't do that when you add more strings. So the E string kinda becomes the A string on a 6, etc.

The moment you realize you can't just slam the B string and hope everything sounds the same, you'll be fine. I haven't owned a 6-string in years.

half step retune on one string, viola

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
It takes some amount of time between zero and infinity, depending on when you get the guitar in your hands and how much you play it.

I am still getting used to my 8 string multi-scale after playing sevens for 10 years and six stringers for thirty years.

Get the guitar in your hands and learn as many six string songs on it as you can. It really has to be approached learning from the higher strings, then adding then lowest string when needed, as mentioned previously.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Took me about three weeks total to be at about the same comfort level on both my 6 and 7 when I first got my UV way back when.

For some reason, even with it having been years since I owned a 7 string, going from 6 to 8 was much easier and quicker. I took to scale and patterns very quickly and was good in a few days days.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Give it 15 minutes then flip over for another 15 minutes.

Stir in the remaining sauce then turn the heat down.

Simmer on low for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
For me, it was instantly. I felt more at-home/comfortable, with a 7. I'm not sure if the string spacing was also responsible for that. ESP has different spacings on some of their models which are supposed to be more comfortable for some people.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
Aye, it's instant for average players unless they're too focused on lower E string, but that can be worked out easly. I think that neck thickness and width may be a little more challenging, especially for those with strong habbits like tight grip, but that also can be worked out. A couple of weeks in worst cases I guess.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Getting used to a 7 string made me realize that all I really needed in life was baritone guitars. Best of both worlds.

xzacx

Reaction score

This is basically why I like playing 6 string songs on 7s so much—using 7s for everything tightened up my right hand immensely. The extra string being “in the way” essentially forces you to be more efficient. It’s probably had more impact on my playing than any other technique or exercise in 20-plus years of guitar.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Like several have said earlier, it will greatly help to figure out how you want to approach the extra string, either the traditional "six-with-a-bass-string" or one of Uncle Ben's tunings in the video. This will let you focus on one style and get a feel of the neck and string spacing, all while having fun rocking out. It'll probably take you a couple of weeks playing to get the feel ingrained into your hands. I'm still learning how to fully use the extended range since I only got my seven a few months ago, but I don't have any major issues playing either older songs or newer seven-string stuff on it. I swap between six and seven regularly, so you should get used to it quickly. It's like enjoying a glass of wine one day, then having notes of a whisky the next!

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Really no time at all. Soon 6s will feel like toys in your hands like the rest of us.

Once I played a 7 in the late 90s I never looked back. Now I mainly play 7s and just my 6 for fun sometimes (and acoustic)

Shask

Reaction score
I dont know if you ever really get used to it. You just recognise it as being different and you adjust. I like playing 7s sometimes, but I can still never play them like I do my 6s. I cant play as well on 7s since it is much harder to reach everything.

Latest posts