HSH Wiring Question for Air Norton S

• Thread starter Matt08642
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
So I originally planned on installing an HSH setup in my old Squier, took the pickguard off and remembered that it's routed for HSS and that I frankly don't feel like hacking it up with my dremel to make a full size neck humbucker fit :lol: Long story short, I ordered an Air Norton S for the neck position.

Now the original plan was to just follow this wiring schematic, which requires the neck humbucker to be flipped so I can get the correct pickup combinations with a standard 5 way switch:

1704216854041.png

1704217424887.png

So considering the Air Norton S is also just a humbucker, my concern is the shape of the route not allowing me to flip the single coil sized neck pickup:

1704216956166.png

I guess at worst I could just wire it up to be normal HH with a 3 way switch until I get the motivation to route the cavity for the original plan. That being said, I'd like to get some kind of HSH working. I have a 5 way switch, a 3 way switch, and a 5 way multipole "superswitch" I can use. I saw that Charvel guitars come with this HSH setup as well with a slight difference in the neck/middle position (Middle + Neck outer vs neck inner)

1704217554849.png

Would this also require a flipped neck pickup?

Also emailed DiMarzio but haven't heard back yet, so any input is appreciated!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have an HSH ibanez with an Air Norton S and Tone Zone S neck and bridge, and I just went with the basic hsh 5 way writing, no need to flip the neck pickup.

I did at one point wire the mini humbuckers to a switch to split the coils, and I thought they really sucked split. Felt totally pointless, so I just leave them full humbucking now.

The Air Norton S is a great pickup! Think liquid lead sounds all day.

Matt08642

Reaction score
I have an HSH ibanez with an Air Norton S and Tone Zone S neck and bridge, and I just went with the basic hsh 5 way writing, no need to flip the neck pickup.

I did at one point wire the mini humbuckers to a switch to split the coils, and I thought they really sucked split. Felt totally pointless, so I just leave them full humbucking now.

The Air Norton S is a great pickup! Think liquid lead sounds all day.

Thanks! I really like the Air Norton in my RG550, and I'm interested in doing a direct comparison when I get the S installed. Come to think of it, ever since I started tearing this Squier apart when I was like 15 it's never had a functioning neck pickup lol.

I should have also checked this page on DiMarzio's site that explicitly mentions this as well :lol:

Single-coil size humbuckers with side by side coils have coils that are so close together that reversing the installation direction does not have an audible effect on the sound.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Thanks! I really like the Air Norton in my RG550, and I'm interested in doing a direct comparison when I get the S installed. Come to think of it, ever since I started tearing this Squier apart when I was like 15 it's never had a functioning neck pickup lol.

I should have also checked this page on DiMarzio's site that explicitly mentions this as well :lol:

Actually I guess DiMarzios site is referring to flipping the pickup for a different sound, but I guess the same might apply for splitting (as in the coils are so close it doesn't matter how they split). As long as I wire it up and it doesn't buzz or sound out of phase lol.

DimMak

Reaction score
I have a Air Norton S and Air Norton 7. Both great but something about the S really sounds nice. Probably the rails. No idea about your wiring.