Hufschmid 7 Custom

• Thread starter Felsstein
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I see what kittens saying maybe its just the pictures.

The usual huff pups look glossy black where these pics look flat black.

Oh well cool stuff either way!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I see what kittens saying maybe its just the pictures.

The usual huff pups look glossy black where these pics look flat black.

Oh well cool stuff either way!

I did explain in my last post that my 6 string pickups are shiny and that the others are micro blasted :)

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
that´s weird that they look different in the pics then :lol:

probably the light though, you kinda need to see the reflection in the pickup to see the polishing rings.

edit: oooh, now i see! :lol: i haven´t really checked out the close-up pics of the 7/8 string pickups until now, and just remember the 6 string one i have :D

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
ok I try to explain once more, maybe I'm in an other dimention and you probably dont understand me so I will refine my explication:

Pickup templates are cut on CNC, therfore you can see the shiny circular machine marks which you are talking about....

My 7 and 8 string pickups have been placed in a chamber and bombarded with sand (micro blasted)....

Is this understandable? lol

So these pickups are microblasted? They look good like that. :metal:

yes my 7 and 8 string are and have always been :lol:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Took forever to load and is still loading so the HD version will be available shortly..

Enjoy :)

P.S: Alex gave me his permission to make this video :D

EDIT: next time I hear somebody telling mahogany sounds warm and muddy :squint:

Felsstein

Reaction score
Man, that sound seriously kills! :hbang:

At the moment I`m unable to get rid of the smile in my face..

Its exactly how I wanted to have it! Need to feel the neck and playability but I think it wont be anything less than perfect! :yesway:

Really nice!

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Man, that sound seriously kills! :hbang:

At the moment I`m unable to get rid of the smile in my face..

Its exactly how I wanted to have it! Need to feel the neck and playability but I think it wont be anything less than perfect! :yesway:

Really nice!

I forgot to mention to everybody that Alex did send me an e-mail with the description of the sound he wanted from the pickups...

I then forwarded the mail to Kent and he then built the pickups according to that mail, sothe pickups are truly unique for Alex...

Glad you enjoy man, like I said, its your first 7 string so you will have to get used to the extra string and the scale but after a little bit it will become second nature really :)

you always say that :D

i think we´ve all realized how sapele sounds now, with your videos :)

Its a tough mission you know, I bet you that somebody will write in an other thread that mahogany sounds warm and muddy :rofl:

BTW sipo sounds very bright also..... :D

ViK-master

Reaction score
Patrick, congratulation! Nice work and impressive awesome sustain.

Its a tough mission you know, I bet you that somebody will write in an other thread that mahogany sounds warm and muddy :rofl:

Surprised to hear that that often from you. I've done about 25 guitars of mahogany, african and mostly honduran and I DO say mahogany sounds warm, very warm and deep and sweet and bright. It first depends on thickness. Your guitars are pretty thin and that's why they sound so bright and focused and flat in some cases but still great for those aims. Make it 45mm or more and you'll get that fat warm deep sound. "Muddy" is about bad mahogany on not very good guitars.

Don't take it personally. It's my opinion and it's just the oposite to yours in this particular case.

And congratulations once again!

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Patrick, congratulation! Nice work and impressive awesome sustain.

Surprised to hear that that often from you. I've done about 25 guitars of mahogany, african and mostly honduran and I DO say mahogany sounds warm, very warm and deep and sweet and bright. It first depends on thickness. Your guitars are pretty thin and that's why they sound so bright and focused and flat in some cases but still great for those aims. Make it 45mm or more and you'll get that fat warm deep sound. "Muddy" is about bad mahogany on not very good guitars.

Don't take it personally. It's my opinion and it's just the oposite to yours in this particular case.

And congratulations once again!

Why should I take it personaly, every luthier has his own approaches to building and I'm exptremely suprised that you now say that mahogany sounds warm because you know its not true :) ....

I've build about 190 full mahogany guitars using sapeli and sipo (which you did not mention) thin and not thin bodies and have proven it to sound extremely bright over countless videos and dosen of customers who are playing them :)

So I think I know what I'm talking about since this is my wood of predilection, but again your not using the same mahogany then I am...

edit: My original point is to say that trying to sell ''mahogany'' (which does not mean anything) as ''warm sounding'' is wrong

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
This should give you a close up idea of the action of the guitar, I tried my best...

Photo696.jpg

That looks awesome, very nice job Patrick!

I have to say, I'm a huge fan of having the action as close to the board as possible without excessive string buzz. I make up for some loss of sustain by boosting the signal a little, and make up for the extra noise from that with a noise gate :) It's down to a science.

ViK-master

Reaction score
I've never used sipo but have some sapele exrpireance and it's obvious to me why you choose that thickness.

EDIT: next time I hear somebody telling mahogany sounds warm and muddy

That was probably that "next" time and I'm firm on my opinion. A slight edition like "sapele and sipo" instead of mahogany might make me be fully agreed with the author.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I've never used sipo but have some sapele exrpireance and it's obvious to me why you choose that thickness.

That was probably that "next" time and I'm firm on my opinion. A slight edition like "sapele and sipo" instead of mahogany might make me be fully agreed with the author.

I edited my post... But I always use either sipo or sapeli :)

I got a friend who sells them locally, I get to choose them, its really cool :yesway:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
the point here is that "mahogany" doesn´t mean anything. it´s like saying a guitar has a "maple top", without specyfing if it´s soft maple, rock maple, quilted maple, flamed maple, or spalted maple. "mahogany" is way too wide a term to mean anything when we´re talking about custom builds. in production guitars, "mahogany" usually fits the "warm/muddy" description, because they use those more common honduras/african breeds of mahogany.

ViK-master

Reaction score
:yesway: Sapele does look incredible too and you use great style of finish for it. Especially with bloodwood fretboards it looks killer!