I made a total Trivium knock off song. What do I do with it?

• Thread starter Sylim
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This one somehow popped out of my head this week. Wrote and recorded it in 3 days.

https://soundcloud.com/user-161801174/discount-trivium-song

I think it turned out really good. But I can´t use it since it´s such a blatant Trivium knock off and since it´s a very different style from my usual stuff. The mix right now is also not suited for this style. Any ideas what to do with this song? I have two ideas off the top of my head. Either flesh it out, finish it and release it as an "Ode to Trivium" or something. Or I could provide the tracks and make some mixing tutorials with it, but only if people are actually interested in that since that would be a lot of work. So any input is much appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What do you actually want to do with it?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Needs more
hqdefault.jpg

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Throw vocals on it make it your own & use it

i already put some less than demo worthy vocals on it. sounds even more Trivium now XD not sure how to make it my own, tbh. this is very technical metal core through out. but my style is more groovy aggressive nu-metal-ish with technicality sprinkled in here and there. but there are definitely elements i could reuse, like the pre-chorus. on drop A with a bit different note choice it´s exactly my thing.

What do you actually want to do with it?

well, still not sure :p worst case scenario it just sits there on my soundcloud and i had a fun couple days and learning experience making the song.

Isn't most trivium stuff just recycled metalcore anyways? It's yours.

yes, but also no. metalcore is definitely their foundation, but there is so much more to it. their second album Ascendency is very much that scene metalcore from the early 2000´s. then again that came out in the early 2000´s. but the musicality is way up there. they then evolved a lot over the years and each album has it´s own flavor. The Crusade, the third album, is much more thrashy and kind of experimental at times. very interesting. then came Shogun, one of the best metal albums of all time really. it has progressive elements to it, is super technical, sometimes thrashy, and yet still very melodic, sometimes even epic. and the solos are face melting. In Waves is also a great album. that one is more metalcore again, but much more developed and refined. some black metal elements come up in here. the two albums after that, Vengeance Falls and Silence In The Snow, are arguably not their best. those do feel kind of uninspired. but then came The Sin And The Sentence, What The Dead Men Say and the absolute banger In The Court Of The Dragon. all amazing albums. that last one is kind of the contender for their best album next to Shogun. sure, very much metalcore, but the musicality as a whole is on another level, way beyond your standard metalcore band. i´m such a fanboy :D

All djent is knock off Meshuggah. Rock that shit dawg.

yapp, that´s why i don´t listen to it anymore. it´s all the same at some point.

Needs more
hqdefault.jpg

i think it´s actually spelled "cowbell" :p

Fader

KickAss!
Reaction score
This one somehow popped out of my head this week. Wrote and recorded it in 3 days.

https://soundcloud.com/user-161801174/discount-trivium-song

I think it turned out really good. But I can´t use it since it´s such a blatant Trivium knock off and since it´s a very different style from my usual stuff. The mix right now is also not suited for this style. Any ideas what to do with this song? I have two ideas off the top of my head. Either flesh it out, finish it and release it as an "Ode to Trivium" or something. Or I could provide the tracks and make some mixing tutorials with it, but only if people are actually interested in that since that would be a lot of work. So any input is much appreciated.
Sounds Excellent!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I really like Trivium but the riffs you were inspired by to write this song can most likely be traced back to other bands that inspired them. They’ve always been a band that openly shows their influences by modifying existing riffs and melodies. Nothing wrong with that since it’s how music works but not something you should feel guilty about when using these ideas in your own music.

My advice would be to reword an existing trivium song or album and release it as “xxxx a tribute to Trivium”.

ekulggats

Reaction score
FOLLOW ME LIKE DETECTIVE
I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE

peak memes circa 2007