I never play my favorite guitar and that's dumb

• Thread starter cardinal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
They'd have to open the cases to take pics. Might get too tempted to play them / risk getting dust on them. 🙈

...ya those totally aren't pictures I took years ago to highlight the wear on my guitar for another version of this thread. :ugh:

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Either way, people are talking about their favorite guitars and not posting pics.
PRS-nickel-covers.png
Deep-CAR.png

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I've had one of those. Either you're lying, or in the words of Will Farrel, "teach me how to use your black magic Tom Cruise."
I got it new in 2017 and it's still perfect. I don't play it that much especially these days but it lives out in the open on a stand. It's not a high end guitar but it's one of my faves. The head-stock and the lower point are what make me cringe the most when I've got it around my neck. Head-stock is super sharp.

The whole thing was only made funnier in that my sis is like 4' tall and... not exactly petite around the equator.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I kinda thought that what you meant. Don't you hate maple fretboards though?? Probably should go to someone who appreciates maple boards 😜
They will just have to buy one of these "green" JEM77 GCMs to never play and then give to me instead then:

1706021923146.png

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Problem has little to do with being dumb, but rather losing resale value.

People buy guitars already thinking they will eventually sell them, and if the guitar is valuable leads to these threads. I never understood that philosophy. I mean if I get a new guitar I usually know from the very first day if I'm gonna keep it or not. If a bought it just to flip it, then it stays on its case until the day it's sold to prevent damage. I don't mind gigging my USA Jacksons because I know I will never sell them (so IDGAF about resale value).

Just play the damn thing. It's a guitar, not a painting FFS.

Reaction score
@Emperoff That is my perspective as well. If I buy a guitar, I mean to play it, make it mine (I'm no flipper) and therefore it will get used marks of some kind. Although it hurts when they get banged and danged and chipped...

@BornToLooze you're right, we all come here to the forum for the pics anyway... 😁

This is my 1st lady, my 1st 7 stringer, bought new by 2002. I haven't messed much with her recently, but when I do it's heaven, both in sound and play.

Ibanez_RG2027XVV_a_2023_01_net.jpg

Ibanez_RG2027XVV_a_2023_02_net.jpg

... this is the twin, bought used in 2016, which has been receiving a bit more play time (because its case is on top of the other's?), but its bridge pickup is getting microphonic and in need for a paraffin bath.
RG2027XVV-b_net_2023_01.JPG

RG2027XVV-b_net_2023_02.JPG

... and this is the one that delivers the goods as good, but weights a little less and isn't as rare, so she travels more often with me...
RG1527RB_X_2023_01__net.jpg

RG1527RB_X_2023_02__net.jpg
... this lady is getting most of my play time, about 30 to 40%, then the previous 2, then the UV, then the Saber 7 stringer with LoPro, then all the others...

All these 3 guitars deliver the same amount of pickup/piezo options, roughly the same tones (pickups are slightly different from one another), are super easy to play (their setup is about the same)...

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
After a few weeks of not having energy to play after work, i went home for lunch and fired up the plexi since empty house.

Bitquest fuzz, 68ri, superlead. Good times, if only for ten minutes.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
The trick is to use what you already have, save that money, and save yourself from turning into one of those dime a dozen "collectors" overcompensating with more NGD content. Play the instrument that's of value, have some gratitude to serve you well, and keep that money for something else that's actually important. Win, win, win, and multi-combo win.
Fixed version. No need to give thanks, for it's well known how this is so right there is nothing left.

Stiman

Reaction score
Fixed version. No need to give thanks, for it's well known how this is so right there is nothing left.
Hey, I meant what I said! If OP's too scared to play it, then get a second one. He'll be able to eat his cake and have it too (two cakes!).

It's not what I would do, and maybe not what most people would do.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Problem has little to do with being dumb, but rather losing resale value.

People buy guitars already thinking they will eventually sell them, and if the guitar is valuable leads to these threads. I never understood that philosophy. I mean if I get a new guitar I usually know from the very first day if I'm gonna keep it or not. If a bought it just to flip it, then it stays on its case until the day it's sold to prevent damage. I don't mind gigging my USA Jacksons because I know I will never sell them (so IDGAF about resale value).

Just play the damn thing. It's a guitar, not a painting FFS.
At least in my case sometimes the honeymoon wears off pretty quickly... less than a year or so. Some of my faves could even be for sale at any point... not all of em but still. Buying another and another doesn't help either as it just brings a new fun toy into the struggle for keeper dominance.

Funny... if I buy a guitar and decide within a few days to keep it, I feel like I'm gonna have it forever. Then like however many months later I might be givin it the look like "hmmm, I prob wouldn't miss you too much". Sometimes it's driven by GAS, sometimes space, sometimes just need the $$$, Fortunately for the ones that want to stay, selling gear sucks so bad atm I'd lose my ass on most of em.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
At least in my case sometimes the honeymoon wears off pretty quickly... less than a year or so. Some of my faves could even be for sale at any point... not all of em but still. Buying another and another doesn't help either as it just brings a new fun toy into the struggle for keeper dominance.

Funny... if I buy a guitar and decide within a few days to keep it, I feel like I'm gonna have it forever. Then like however many months later I might be givin it the look like "hmmm, I prob wouldn't miss you too much". Sometimes it's driven by GAS, sometimes space, sometimes just need the $$$, Fortunately for the ones that want to stay, selling gear sucks so bad atm I'd lose my ass on most of em.

Not sure if it's your case. But plenty of people never get attached to guitars as they're something stored in a case somewhere that they pick up sometimes to play ten minutes. I can see how the thrill of the hunt is more important that the gear itself in that case.

I keep all my guitars in a stand at arms reach. They all get played and gigged regularly, no matter how expensive they are. So they eventually get tied to very cool places, moments and memories to ever consider selling them.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
@Emperoff That is my perspective as well. If I buy a guitar, I mean to play it, make it mine (I'm no flipper) and therefore it will get used marks of some kind. Although it hurts when they get banged and danged and chipped...

@BornToLooze you're right, we all come here to the forum for the pics anyway... 😁

This is my 1st lady, my 1st 7 stringer, bought new by 2002. I haven't messed much with her recently, but when I do it's heaven, both in sound and play.

View attachment 137047

View attachment 137048

... this is the twin, bought used in 2016, which has been receiving a bit more play time (because its case is on top of the other's?), but its bridge pickup is getting microphonic and in need for a paraffin bath.
View attachment 137050

View attachment 137051

... and this is the one that delivers the goods as good, but weights a little less and isn't as rare, so she travels more often with me...
View attachment 137052

View attachment 137053
... this lady is getting most of my play time, about 30 to 40%, then the previous 2, then the UV, then the Saber 7 stringer with LoPro, then all the others...

All these 3 guitars deliver the same amount of pickup/piezo options, roughly the same tones (pickups are slightly different from one another), are super easy to play (their setup is about the same)...
Who did your control cavity covers, and what are they made of?

Reaction score
I made them... well, I designed them and asked a local laser cut store to do them for me. These are black laser etched and cut 3mm acrylic. It all started when I got myself a used UV777 with a shattered pickguard. I tried Perle guitars via Reverb and their actual site and got no response whatsoever, so I took matters with my own hands. When I contacted this local laser cut shop, I found out that they also did etching, so I started doing some designs as well. At the moment I'm on my 5th etched pickguard for the UV777 and expanded the idea for my other guitars. Both my 6 stringers and 5 of my 7 stringers (these 3, the UV and an RG7421) now feature custom plastics with my designs.

While the back covers of these twins were done from personal graphic and geometric experiments on curved perspectives from an array of hollowed out octahedrons that I've been doing for some time now (3d modeling and rendering with graphic design treatment), the ones for the blue guitar were based in one of my daughter's drawings... Its strap was also painted by her with some help and guidance from me.

So, in short, I made these...