Ibanez 2021 models (Headless!)

• Thread starter bastardbullet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer33

Reaction score
The new Burgundy Metallic color on the RG5121 is cool. But I was hoping they'd consider adding some more versatility to that guitar. Seems like a bit of a one trick pony with the fishman moderns but no additional push-pull pots for coil splitting.

The RGR5221 is another one that has some great looking features, but I'm hoping for any color besides that bright orange.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Maybe you're right and Ibanez will go bankrupt, because 85 guys on an Internet forum don't like their guitars and spend their money elsewhere. Maybe you're not.

Edit: looking at the additions to the lineup and artist section over the alst years, they seem to have identified acoustics as an important growth factor. Which makes total sense because their market share is probably close to zero at the moment.

what a baby. Way to contribute.
This is the forum equivalent of "you had a small dick anyway"

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
No sure why they got rid of the S5527 and S6527s so quickly but they were sick. Would rather take those than AZ7s at $2k price point. MM7 will be 2800-3k which is too much
Why would anyone pay $2k for an Ibanez when you could get a Kiesel with a handful of eye candy options for that much?

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
OP missed the new 7-string RGA (RGA742FM-TGF). Very disappointing range of RGAs at the moment (6 and 7 string) - only one model outside of the standard range and that's an Axion. Who would have guessed it started out as a Prestige-only line. :confused:
https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/rga742fm_1p_03.html

p_region_RGA742FM_TGF_1P_03.png

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Well I like the AZ seven strings a lot and am glad they released them. Unfortunately for Ibanez I doubt I'll get one because I haven't played a 7 in a while, but still, I assume others will buy them.

Dayn

Reaction score
I don't mind the list. I love the two purple guitars with maple fretboards, but for the first time in my life, I'm after a 6-string with a floating bridge, not a 7-string. It's killing me that the 6-string is a hardtail.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
These new RGDs started as interesting, now they're on the tacky side.
Purple RGs with maple necks are yummy.
Agreed. The Prestige Uppercut a few years ago was the pinnacle for me (plain satin black finish with BKP Aftermaths).

Zhysick

Reaction score
Why would anyone pay $2k for an Ibanez when you could get a Kiesel with a handful of eye candy options for that much?

Maybe because that one doesn't like Kiesel's neck profile but likes Ibanezs (Ibanezes? Ibanezii? :lol:) neck profile so... why whould you pay 1500$ for something that you don't like when you can pay 2000$ for something that you like?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
i disagree with this notion of "IF Ibanez thought they would sell"

Ibanez has made a metric fuck tonne over the years selling instruments to metal musicians. Now tell me how many metal bands are now using Dingwall basses?. Because after doing tours, doing a whole bunch of research, and keeping an eye on bands I personally like, I see a plethora of Dingwalls as far as the eye can see.

the fact is they WOULD sell - Ibanez just choose to not even try.
This reminds me of the xiphos situation. After they were discontinued a fair few years back, there was all this fanboi defensive talk about how "they dont sell anyway - they are niche blah blah"

I got my custom xiphos swirled, and shared the project everywhere online. After so much incredible feedback it encouraged plenty of xiphos owners to share theirs. It was awesome seeing a new wave of xiphos lovers all coming together again - which in tern created new hype and plenty of "new fans" of the shape.

fast track to more recent times and Balaguer capitalises and sells his own siiiiick version (tartarus), and that seems to sell just fine. Snooze you lose Ibanez.

People just create ways to defend Ibanez.

- I normally would disagree with this but I think you may be right. Ibanez just don't care and are doing their own thing, imo. Which is fine for them and sucks for us.

- I gaurantee the Xiphos, Dingwall type basses, and Rga Prestiges would sell a ton more than all those other bizzare basses and guitars that seem to keep sticking around... somehow.
- Who is buying these things? I never see them around, anywhere. You have to seek them out to find them in a real consumers' hands.

- I'm guessing they don't do it becase they just can't tool up to crank them out fast enough and still be profitable.

- I've been trying to get them to make somthing similar to my custom Ed Roman RGA for 20 years. They don't wanna do it. Niether does anyone else. Everyone likes the guitar, nobody wants to build it.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow, RG5000 series with stainless frets, black Hipshot hardware, Duncan Jupiter pickups, and staggered tuners! Ibanez finally listened to what I wanted.

Too bad this is all lies and only neck/body are original. :banana:

MY MAN!

I haven't seen a single production guitar this year that I haven't wanted to mod to hell and back. At this point all the guitars I own either have massive electronics overhauls or have them planned and all of them are getting new hardware once I feel like installing it. Feels good not wanting to buy a brand new expensive guitar honestly.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
@lewis, maybe this will put it into perspective for too. I understand that you really want a 34-37” bass. I do, too. But I also want a fretless bass where the fretboard runs through the end of the body, like a Marleaux Diva, a Ritter, and a Stradi. Those are actually very well respected designs that command a high price. I also want an 8 and 10 string double course bass, like Schecter and others make. And outside of me, there are a number of other bass players that really enjoy certain basses with specific specs (string spacing at the bridge, string spacing at the nut, pickup arrangement, fretless, left handed, etc). So it’s not that Ibanez makes all the possible basses, and are obstinately avoiding making one style. It’s that they make a few styles out of dozens of styles that would sell really well. Who knows why they choose one over another. But it comes down to actual people making these decisions. And those people can be swayed with enough passion and energy. If you really want to get a Dingwall length bass from Ibanez, you should contact them, and make them see what you think they’re missing. Because right now they’re keeping an eye on a crapload of genres, not just metal. So make some noise to the company, and maybe they’ll release one. If not, it could be years before one of the decision makers chooses that particular spec out of the dozens of others, and runs with it.

I guess it would be like me saying I’ve been watching what you wear, and I notice that you don’t have any white and blue striped shirts. Why are you avoiding them? I know lots of cool dudes wearing them. You might say, “well, I have a crap load of shirts, and there are a crap load of other ones I don’t have. I guess I could buy a white and blue striped one. But there are lots of nice shirts, and I just can’t one one of each.”