Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 106 31.5%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 54 16.0%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 96 28.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom odd 7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez is dropping the ball on 7 string trems builds. Except for the few RG752RPB's left all there is are the RG8527 J Custom and extended scales. Nothing regular scale with a trem in current production Prestige. [in the US, maybe you EU guys are getting something]
Neither. No 25.5 scale with trem' in any market in the prestige line.
First time this occurs since the RG1527 was released.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Damn I'm just catching up now, this new site upgrade is really screwing with my notifications.

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I think these are super unique and a few are interesting. But on the other, these really aren't even instruments that are meant to be played. These are just like ESP's masterclass guitars. They're very unique to look at, but for that price tag I would never touch it. It would go on the wall and never be played. And like Max said, even if you had the cash to get one, I doubt you would even be able to get the one you wanted.

It's cool for the hardcore collectors with plenty of money to spare, but it really doesn't go anywhere past that. Plus most of them are pretty gaudy in my opinion.

Viginez

Reaction score
Wait, LACS as in Los Angeles?

What kind low-wisdom individual would pay at all, much less an extra figure, for an Ibanez to NOT be made in Japan???
maybe they are built in japan and assembled in la
to me they look to good too be built in the us

Thesius

Reaction score
Damn I'm just catching up now, this new site upgrade is really screwing with my notifications.

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I think these are super unique and a few are interesting. But on the other, these really aren't even instruments that are meant to be played. These are just like ESP's masterclass guitars. They're very unique to look at, but for that price tag I would never touch it. It would go on the wall and never be played. And like Max said, even if you had the cash to get one, I doubt you would even be able to get the one you wanted.

It's cool for the hardcore collectors with plenty of money to spare, but it really doesn't go anywhere past that. Plus most of them are pretty gaudy in my opinion.
All guitars are meant to be played. I would play the shit out of these

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious. Why Ibanez is so obsessed with using Dimarzio Fusion Edge on almost all of their new guitars?

I'd happened to try them once in local store (RGIXL7), and it was meh. The guitar itself is fantastic thought, only if it has better pickups at that price point.

Even in J.custom they still using Fusion Edge...

Ibanez has been around the block long enough to not really care about stock pickups all too much.

They'll never find a set everyone loves, so they put in stuff that's reasonably inoffensive and just run with it.

If folks are super into a given brand or set, they'll probably swap them out anyway, and if folks don't really care the stock pickups will usually be good enough.

Ibanez tried a whole series with the latest and greatest BKP set at the time and overall response was "meh" so that's sort of reinforced their thinking.

shpence

Reaction score
Just curious. Why Ibanez is so obsessed with using Dimarzio Fusion Edge on almost all of their new guitars?

I'd happened to try them once in local store (RGIXL7), and it was meh. The guitar itself is fantastic thought, only if it has better pickups at that price point.

Even in J.custom they still using Fusion Edge...
I got a RGR652AHBF recently and planned on replacing the Fusion Edges. I think the neck pup is pretty unremarkable but I was pleasantly surprised for how the bridge pup sounded. Might get a white SD Jazz for the neck and keep the Fusion bridge pup.

Luckily Sweetwater sorted me out (thanks for the Plek) but the guitar arrived with an obviously faulty 5-way switch and the frets weren't level at all. This is my third Prestige over the past few years and I know this is anecdotal but the quality has been progressively less impressive. I still love them and can get them set up with some work but I'll be hesitant to get another down the line. That being said, the RGR652AHBF plays great now and I think is the lightest guitar I own which is a nice change.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I got a RGR652AHBF recently and planned on replacing the Fusion Edges. I think the neck pup is pretty unremarkable but I was pleasantly surprised for how the bridge pup sounded. Might get a white SD Jazz for the neck and keep the Fusion bridge pup.

Luckily Sweetwater sorted me out (thanks for the Plek) but the guitar arrived with an obviously faulty 5-way switch and the frets weren't level at all. This is my third Prestige over the past few years and I know this is anecdotal but the quality has been progressively less impressive. I still love them and can get them set up with some work but I'll be hesitant to get another down the line. That being said, the RGR652AHBF plays great now and I think is the lightest guitar I own which is a nice change.
I'd be more inclined to be hesitant about a dealer that claims a 55 point checklist and full setup but sends out a guitar with a bad switch, obviously high frets, and still needs a setup. Then again every indi hates Sweetwater.

Not sure where you're seeing any quality declining, I see tighter tolerances than ever.

77zark77

Reaction score
I apreciate they widened the fretboard inlays on the bling bling RG8 but gold is too much here.

Or they should have to use ebony for the fretboard to make it luxuous - don't know, something wrong here

shpence

Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to be hesitant about a dealer that claims a 55 point checklist and full setup but sends out a guitar with a bad switch, obviously high frets, and still needs a setup. Then again every indi hates Sweetwater.

Not sure where you're seeing any quality declining, I see tighter tolerances than ever.
Totally fair on the Sweewater element of the 55-point checklist. Like I said, I'm only basing this off the 3 I have. All of which have had issues but I still enjoy them.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Totally fair on the Sweewater element of the 55-point checklist. Like I said, I'm only basing this off the 3 I have. All of which have had issues but I still enjoy them.
But the ones with issues are the ones a dealer is supposed to reject, or if they're minor enough, fix before the customer ever gets it ;)

These are different times though, guitars I would reject for minor finish issues or sink lines I put on a swap list and reorder, and try to sell them until a replacement comes in because that replacement is maybe a year away. Very few things can you get in the 6 months range, used to be 1-2. So you may be seeing more things that would normally be rejected and be sold as seconds in dealer inventories, because it's the only inventory we can get. I just make sure to note it with close ups so there are no surprises.

And to be fair, doing big bend tests at low action just means a guitar plays clean, it doesn't mean if you take ma fret rocker to it you won't find a rock somewhere. That's what higher level packages are for.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I just got 2 RG652AHMAWD's with the best birdseye fretboards I've seen in many years. Stunning. And both rejects with hump necks. So word to the wise as I notified HUSA, hump necks are back on AHM's. One of them was cutable but it would have been a deep level, the other would have been far too deep, either way, no thank you to hump necks.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I just got 2 RG652AHMAWD's with the best birdseye fretboards I've seen in many years. Stunning. And both rejects with hump necks. So word to the wise as I notified HUSA, hump necks are back on AHM's. One of them was cutable but it would have been a deep level, the other would have been far too deep, either way, no thank you to hump necks.
Bummer!
Question: are the humps likely the result of improper drying, especially given the guitars are constructed in Japan (very high humidity) and when they leave they start to move all over the place with varying humidity levels? Or is it something else?

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Something else, and I don't have the answer. All the old AHM NGB's had the problem. I'd have to go over and go thru a stack of 20 to find 2 good guitars. I kept complaining, the buyers knew it, could see it, tech knew it, but the answer was "you're the only one complaining". This went on for years, started creeping into other 652 models but not with consistency. Finally they came out with the AWD color and the first container that came in HUSA rejected the whole batch for hump necks. Only then did the factory fix it, which was to the opposite extreme, you get hyperstressed necks where you'd have 1mm or more in relief with a loose truss and a tight rod to turn, but no humps.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
maybe they are built in japan and assembled in la
to me they look to good too be built in the us

Not sure if this is trolling or not. It's the LA Custom Shop - *the* place for high-end artist customs that the public can't even get their hands on.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Something else, and I don't have the answer. All the old AHM NGB's had the problem. I'd have to go over and go thru a stack of 20 to find 2 good guitars. I kept complaining, the buyers knew it, could see it, tech knew it, but the answer was "you're the only one complaining". This went on for years, started creeping into other 652 models but not with consistency. Finally they came out with the AWD color and the first container that came in HUSA rejected the whole batch for hump necks. Only then did the factory fix it, which was to the opposite extreme, you get hyperstressed necks where you'd have 1mm or more in relief with a loose truss and a tight rod to turn, but no humps.
Wow, very frustrating.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hnli4ews1py5tjmnnqjx.jpg

I kinda love this jline. Wish they made this in an s.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
fnt.png

fnt.png

These are like ESP Exhibition-level nice jesus

That flower bass is illegal. It looks so good.

And I immediately put in an order request for a prop run of these in straight mahogany, bolt on, maple necks, rosewood board, offset dots in whatever color I like they have available whenever they'll take a prop run again. This design can stand on it's own, it doesn't need all the fancy woods, but they sure take it over the top.
fnt.png

An S series without the hideous plastic blob around the pickup selector? That looks amazing even without the cool wave scoops.

^It should be illegal to play that thing on the clean channel.

It is. Comes with a specific cable you have to use. If it detects no gain it adds gain. It’s based on a pig nose amp to guarantee you try no funny business.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An S series without the hideous plastic blob around the pickup selector? That looks amazing even without the cool wave scoops.

The bushing is only needed for blade style switches, those are too tall.

All the Sabers that use a three way toggle are fine. They've done a bunch of Iron Labels in that configuration.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Ibanez is dropping the ball on 7 string trems builds. Except for the few RG752RPB's left all there is are the RG8527 J Custom and extended scales. Nothing regular scale with a trem in current production Prestige. [in the US, maybe you EU guys are getting something]
This is a bummer, love me a good lo-pro equipped RG7. Wonder if the 752 era is coming to a close and they'll be replaced by something new, or perhaps Ibanez is just focused on AZ7s atm.