Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 106 31.5%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 54 16.0%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 96 28.5%

• Total voters

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Didn't they initially sell pretty badly?
They can't have sold too badly, as they kept them going for 4 or 5 years (which is not a short production run for a specific model) and then launched a standard line version that has survived the test of time.
Plenty of other designs were phased out far quicker or only make sporadic appearances in the Ibanez catalogue.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

død

Reaction score
I remember there being a ton of them going around the ESP boards ~15 years ago, they were pretty sought after among the metalcore crowd.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd been hoping for a return of RGA Prestige for a couple of years now. I was tempted by an RGA8420-SDE last year, but the RG8520-SDE I bought instead was a better price and more similar to the Twilight Blue RG3120 that I've never found in good condition + fair price.

Your photo got me googling to look up what specific model it was and then I stumbled across this on Reverb...happy NGD to me! :D:D:D

snlce0qdxpbf2yitp1tu.jpg

Well, HNGD for me in advance, too :fawk:
I managed to haggle the price of an RGA121 down below the 1k USD mark, which is more of a symbolic success than a financial one for me :lol:

Can't wait.

Sadly, I'll still keep an eye on this thread to see if I'm gonna have to sell any gear this year for a new Ibanez :lol: though hopefully not...:ugh:

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Well, HNGD for me in advance, too :fawk:
I managed to haggle the price of an RGA121 down below the 1k USD mark, which is more of a symbolic success than a financial one for me :lol:

Can't wait.

Sadly, I'll still keep an eye on this thread to see if I'm gonna have to sell any gear this year for a new Ibanez :lol: though hopefully not...:ugh:
What finish is the RGA121?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't they initially sell pretty badly?

First year, 2005, they did very well, enough to keep around, but the decline was sharp and by 2007 they weren't moving. They were axe'd in 2008, but they had enough left over parts to due a very small run of RGA321Fs for first quarter 2009.

I purchased two RGA121s on closeout from Guitar Center in late 2008 for $600, marked down from $1200. They stuck around for months at that price.

That's one of the reasons they became so popular, Ibanez was pretty much giving them away in the end.

They can't have sold too badly, as they kept them going for 4 or 5 years (which is not a short production run for a specific model) and then launched a standard line version that has survived the test of time.
Plenty of other designs were phased out far quicker or only make sporadic appearances in the Ibanez catalogue.

Ibanez spent a lot on those, they weren't going to let them go without a fight. :lol:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
First year, 2005, they did very well, enough to keep around, but the decline was sharp and by 2007 they weren't moving. They were axe'd in 2008, but they had enough left over parts to due a very small run of RGA321Fs for first quarter 2009.

I purchased two RGA121s on closeout from Guitar Center in late 2008 for $600, marked down from $1200. They stuck around for months at that price.

That's one of the reasons they became so popular, Ibanez was pretty much giving them away in the end.

I distinctly remember ogling them at the $600 price on Musician’s Friend. I knew there was no way I could get one, being a jobless teenager in 08, but I swear I would go and stare at that page every day :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Ibanez spent a lot on those, they weren't going to let them go without a fight. :lol:

Okay good I wasn't mismembering. :lol: Like yeah I know they became popular and everyone was using them for awhile, but it seems like that was after it was discontinued and they were on clearance for the price of a brand new Schecter Hellraiser or LTD Deluxe.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I remember them starting getting expensive at the end of their run (at least list prices).

Part of the problem is they never changed them up from year to year. Except for the H model, they didn't do anything for the line.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember them starting getting expensive at the end of their run (at least list prices).

Part of the problem is they never changed them up from year to year. Except for the H model, they didn't do anything for the line.

It was hard to make changes when you don't move enough to replace the old stuff with the new stuff.

Stock was running 18+ months surplus at one point. Dealers aren't going to bite.

jl-austin

Reaction score
It was hard to make changes when you don't move enough to replace the old stuff with the new stuff.

Stock was running 18+ months surplus at one point. Dealers aren't going to bite.

What was going at that time? Was 7 strings all the rage? I seem to remember that the market wasn't really going for those types of guitar at that time?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
What was going at that time? Was 7 strings all the rage? I seem to remember that the market wasn't really going for those types of guitar at that time?

I'm going to assume since it was 2006 - 2009, it was peak EMG-loaded fiddle > TS9 > 5150 > Mesa 412 era. Everyone wanted a 24-fret guitar in black or red guitar with EMGs.