Ibanez 2022 discussion.

What model do you want to see this 2022?

• RGA Prestige

Votes: 106 31.5%
  • RGDR Prestige and Axiom Label

Votes: 54 16.0%
  • New Jake Bowen Signature

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • Tesseract Signature

Votes: 45 13.4%
  • S 7 strings with reverse headstock

Votes: 96 28.5%

• Total voters

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hate to disagree with you but most of it is dyed. Even the $8000 M8M is very light rosewood dyed black.
5000 series
IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_9000.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

All this stuff is dyed. I don't remember how many years ago it started and which models but it's been a while now. That's why I don't scrub down a fretboard with steel wool after edge, fret, and end work to smooth it all out. ooops.

You know when it's not dyed, it's not pure color. PIA's and JS's never dyed and sometimes you'll get lucky and get that great piece of ultra dark with no pores, but they're uncommon. It's extremely good rosewood but the choice AAAAA stuff is an accident.

Isn't the 5000 series m. ebony?

I count the M8M as something of a "limited", but I suppose when the limit is "as many as you order" it doesn't count. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Yea but it's Macassar, it's all dyed. You won't get solid black ebony on anything other than a jazz box like a GB10 or AF200, PS10's, and even there you still might not get perfect color.

But they were dying rosewood for years to get the same effect.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I knew the ebony was dyed.

I wonder if they started around the time rosewood came back? I have an blue RG752 that I bought new with a fairly light board. Must have been late 2016/ early 2017.

Interesting. I'll don't usually dye my boards, I'll have to give some other stuff from around then a look.

Thanks for the info as always.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I like that when you click to enlarge a picture it pops up in a new window, and it's just ever so slightly larger. Probably so as to not stress your 56K modem :lol: Also the "Please update your Flash Player" on the home page, that's just pure nostalgia. All it needs is some RealPlayer videos to complete the experience.
You can tell that this site was probably built by a high school student in the early 2000s (assuming 2004 based on the Copyright date) with only the barest minimum of code improvements since (for example, the completely out-of-left-field use of jQuery, which didn't even exist at the time), evident because I was also into web design back then as a high school student and this site honestly looks exactly like something I would have made. PHP, a Javascript popup window that resizes based on the image being displayed...

...Agency font... :ugh:

...the works. :lol:

Ibanez Rules

rich@ibanezrules.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I knew the ebony was dyed.

I wonder if they started around the time rosewood came back? I have an blue RG752 that I bought new with a fairly light board. Must have been late 2016/ early 2017.

Interesting. I'll don't usually dye my boards, I'll have to give some other stuff from around then a look.

Thanks for the info as always.
Yea, I was talking about dying in general, they dye so much stuff it's hard to remember what they don't. Just don't scrub any fretboard with steel wool if it looks too good to be true! Although you can just redye it that's not the way I want to spend an hour.

eelblack

Reaction score
I assure you the factory pictures are much better than mine will be, but if you really want more I'll snap them.
I assure you the factory pictures are much better than mine will be, but if you really want more I'll snap them.
So Ibanez said that it takes orders until 21 of February and then it's going to be a lottery for the dealers?
Interesting that Wentworth Music is already putting LACS14 for sale on reverb

LACS14, 15, and JPCS23 I ended up with my friend :)

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can tell that this site was probably built by a high school student in the early 2000s (assuming 2004 based on the Copyright date) with only the barest minimum of code improvements since (for example, the completely out-of-left-field use of jQuery, which didn't even exist at the time), evident because I was also into web design back then as a high school student and this site honestly looks exactly like something I would have made. PHP, a Javascript popup window that resizes based on the image being displayed...

...Agency font... :ugh:

...the works. :lol:
It's all about those buttons on the left side! They should have made it a separate scrollable frame while they were at it.

eelblack

Reaction score
It's all about those buttons on the left side! They should have made it a separate scrollable frame while they were at it.
I could be wrong, but I thought Chris built this site decades ago, then sold it to a different owner. Few changes have happened since then, obviously. Very different times and code thinking, back then.

jwoods986

Reaction score
I wonder if feedback about some of the custom features on these will be taken into consideration by Ibanez? For example, "Sunset" JPCS16 is a short-scale RG, any chance of that happening on a production guitar?

Antiproduct

Reaction score
Depends on what you call "production guitar" but there are some 24.75" Jcustoms made by Sugi.
JCRG1701 for example

jwoods986

Reaction score
I would call a production guitar one that is Prestige level and below, and available in the US.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on what you call "production guitar" but there are some 24.75" Jcustoms made by Sugi.
JCRG1701 for example

They've done some home market dealer runs at that scale too, prior to the Sugi stuff.

Honestly, and I know this is going to be a bummer, nothing showcased here is going to reach production stuff, at least not for the foreseeable future. This wasn't an attempt to "test the market", if anything it's the opposite. They wanted the builders to make some weird/unique/over the top instruments.