Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
RGD2127z reissue but drop the z and add a LoPro Edge.
They effectively did this a few years ago. It was called the RGD3127 and came in Pearl White or Orange (both with maple boards and better pickups).

Granted not matte black with RW board. But still cool as fuck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
They effectively did this a few years ago. It was called the RGD3127 and came in Pearl White or Orange (both with maple boards and better pickups).

Granted not matte black with RW board. But still cool as fuck.
Different body colour.
Different hardware colour.
Different bridge.
Different fretboard material.
Different pickups.

Really you could have named any 7-string RGD model and said it was effectively an RGD2127Z re-release. :lol:

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Curious as to what other's opinions are on dyed ebony boards. In the case of the RG5000 series, the boards are dyed. My RGR5221 has a very prominent streak down the whole fretboard and it has me wondering what it would look like naturally. Kinda like the 2027XL's boards. Do you think Jackson might have been onto something with their "streaked" boards? Personally I think there is a market for both, but am curious to see what natural ebony boards look like on Ibanez guitars specifically.

christopher0660

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Curious as to what other's opinions are on dyed ebony boards. In the case of the RG5000 series, the boards are dyed. My RGR5221 has a very prominent streak down the whole fretboard and it has me wondering what it would look like naturally. Kinda like the 2027XL's boards. Do you think Jackson might have been onto something with their "streaked" boards? Personally I think there is a market for both, but am curious to see what natural ebony boards look like on Ibanez guitars specifically.

There's also the environmental/sustainability consideration. Pitch black ebony was historically the only type that was valued so anything streaky got tossed. Now that ebony is harder to get, the streaky stuff is getting used. I have a Martin D18 with a crazy streak and I love it.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Different body colour.
Different hardware colour.
Different bridge.
Different fretboard material.
Different pickups.

Really you could have named any 7-string RGD model and said it was effectively an RGD2127Z re-release. :lol:

Well they did want the bridge in the 3127.

No one wants the V7/V8 set.

No one here wants black guitars. Until they cant get the black guitar they didnt want.

The most expensive change (the bridge) was done. A refinish and dye would work out cheaper than a new bridge and the routing required.

Furthermore, any prestige RGD is an automatic win as far as I'm concerned. I love the shape and the 26.5 scale is great.

I'm currently contemplating either the new RGD six string (if it had an evertune I would be all in) or finding one of the old prestige six strings from the 2010s. Ideally in that silver finish, but matte black would be fine too I guess.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I also think that the RGD4327 is better than the 2127 in every conceivable way. Bar that visible line of mahogany between the bridge and top.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
There's also the environmental/sustainability consideration. Pitch black ebony was historically the only type that was valued so anything streaky got tossed. Now that ebony is harder to get, the streaky stuff is getting used. I have a Martin D18 with a crazy streak and I love it.
It’s interesting to me that it was never really marketed as something cool. Pale moon ebony definitely pops more, but the streaky stuff can still look great in its own right.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently contemplating either the new RGD six string (if it had an evertune I would be all in)

Not a prestige, but have you seen this?...

p_region_RGD61ALET_MGM_1P_01.png

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/rgd61alet_1p_01.html

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I also think that the RGD4327 is better than the 2127 in every conceivable way. Bar that visible line of mahogany between the bridge and top.
I'd never noticed that (I've only seen the RGD4327 in photos), but now I can't unsee it.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
It’s interesting to me that it was never really marketed as something cool. Pale moon ebony definitely pops more, but the streaky stuff can still look great in its own right.
I think it looks great on the right guitar (could clash horribly with some natural / figured tops, where a plain fretboard would be more appropriate). I like it on the RGD61 posted above.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I love the aesthetic of a jet black board on some guitars, I have zero problems with streaked ebony. The biggest thing I love about ebony is the tight grain, not so much the visual aspect. As long as that grain is tight, streak it the fuck up!
I concur.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
and the fact that the guys at the factory didn't even bother to paint it completely :lol:

(thankfully Ibanez is toning down a bit the "natural bevel" thing)

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
I think it looks great on the right guitar (could clash horribly with some natural / figured tops, where a plain fretboard would be more appropriate). I like it on the RGD61 posted above.
Yeah I definitely think it works very well on solid color guitars. I never considered the environmental aspect either, so that’s interesting. The strandberg resq series seems to be marketed somewhat as an environmental thing. I wonder what other companies could think of if they decided to make a product with that as a marketing tool.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
and the fact that the guys at the factory didn't even bother to paint it completely :lol:
I'm not sure what you mean, because only the headstock is painted. The black top is a fairly thick (maybe 4mm?) layer of Richlite, glued to the mahogany body, not paint.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean, because only the headstock is painted. The black top is a fairly thick (maybe 4mm?) layer of Richlite, glued to the mahogany body, not paint.
oh I thought it was matte black paint over the flat surfaces of the body.
Still though, I just dislike the unmatched bevels. The first time I saw that -now classic- RGD Iron Label with the green/blue poplar top I thought the look would grow on me, but nah, it just got worse every time I looked at it :(

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
oh I thought it was matte black paint over the flat surfaces of the body.
Still though, I just dislike the unmatched bevels. The first time I saw that -now classic- RGD Iron Label with the green/blue poplar top I thought the look would grow on me, but nah, it just got worse every time I looked at it :(
I agree about the bevels. They're not as bad as the figured tops on some RGs that abruptly stop short at the arm contour though (due to the depth of the contour exceeding the thickness of the top).

Metropolis

Reaction score
Well they did want the bridge in the 3127.

No one wants the V7/V8 set.

No one here wants black guitars. Until they cant get the black guitar they didnt want.

The most expensive change (the bridge) was done. A refinish and dye would work out cheaper than a new bridge and the routing required.

Furthermore, any prestige RGD is an automatic win as far as I'm concerned. I love the shape and the 26.5 scale is great.

I'm currently contemplating either the new RGD six string (if it had an evertune I would be all in) or finding one of the old prestige six strings from the 2010s. Ideally in that silver finish, but matte black would be fine too I guess.

Get RGD3121 and have Evertune installed afterwards would be an option. Ibanez stock photos are quite weird with some finishes. In reality this is probably deeper looking purple, and fretboard is also darker, like a really streaky looking rosewood or ebony. I think it's even better than the purple 2127's had ten years ago.

p_region_RGD3121_PRF_00_01.png

Last edited: