Ibanez 2023 Models ! What would you like to see ?

• Thread starter Inanimate100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I wish the S series would go back to 22 frets. It's one of the unique selling points of the line, otherwise it's just a thinner bodied RG. Hell, since the current S advocate Nita Strauss is big on the ZPS, make a rebranded variant and make it exclusive to Sabers.

Or if Ibanez is willing to go freaky on the line, make it 24.75 scale.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Continuing to break the combo...

p_region_AEGB24FE_MHS_5B_01.png

A fretless acoustic bass. Now that's cool.

p_region_TWP10_BH_01.png

New 'twin peaks' wah. Based on the description I'm interested to try it out.

Aewrik

Reaction score
You ever see that episode of Malcolm in the Middle where Francis is admiring some attractive female hockey players? Then she opens her mouth and then we see she has no teeth.

That’s what the S series plastic pickup switch cover is like.
Yeah, definitely gum energy in that plastic

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Dealing with S, hope someday Ibanez will stop this ugly 5 way selector mounted with plastic. I understand the body is "S" but such a plastic piece is elegant as flip flops with socks.

View attachment 132603

BTW, a model without a single coil would be perfect to me. Definitely an HH addict.
I agree about the plastic switch mounting. They need something to compensate for the thin body, but they could choose something that looks less cheap. What would you suggest though? I'm thinking a metal piece matching the hardware would work best (so cosmo for that JIVA).

At least they got rid of the black plastic piece in the jack recess. I'm pleased that neither of my Sabers (S2170 & S6UC) have it. I'd much rather see the mahogany.

3 out of 7 current S models don't have pickup rings! Hopefully that will become standard on the Prestige models soon.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree about the plastic switch mounting. They need something to compensate for the thin body, but they could choose something that looks less cheap. What would you suggest though? I'm thinking a metal piece matching the hardware would work best (so cosmo for that JIVA).

At least they got rid of the black plastic piece in the jack recess. I'm pleased that neither of my Sabers (S2170 & S6UC) have it. I'd much rather see the mahogany.

3 out of 7 current S models don't have pickup rings! Hopefully that will become standard on the Prestige models soon.
that's exactly what I meant. This piece of plastic even on top models looks so cheap! Any piece of metal would do the job. I am not an Ibanez designer. Such as plastic mounting rings for pick-ups: awful.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Why not add a stupidly thick / round neck, a 3+3 headstock (i.e. awful tuning stability), double the price and half the quality control while they're at it? :lol:

You mean like the SCs and SZs? The S offshoots where the necks aren't even that thick, 3+3 headstock tuning holds fine? Yeah they did that already, and they didn't even need to double the price.

If low budget Jems are the only things you want Ibanez to make, then good for you. But I perfer it when Ibanez does oddball goofy experimental stuff outside their flaship models. All the weird stuff people assume they hate then lament not buying them years later once they become cult favourites... I'd like that just as much as the seeing a brand new RG dujour with a new hat.

Last edited:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Shit, my only real wish for Ibanez is to bring back the SZ’s with more options. 24 frets and a Floyd! I don’t dig the S’s because the bodies are too thin and thought the SZ’s were a perfect response to that.

My 320BURNT has been a workhorse for almost 20 years, ridiculous stability, no bullshit, just a quality guitar. Hell, that tear under the bottom tone knob only occurred after the guitar went flying about 25 feet across a room during a childish argument.

IMG_1901.jpeg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's the current bargain basement used Sabre to get then? Something Korean?

Folks put the older Korean stuff on a pedestal, but more recent Indo is just as good/bad in aggregate.

It's almost worth going newer since the older hardware hasn't always aged well.

The important thing to remember is that pretty much all the Standard line stuff is roughly the same odds of getting something decent, so just because the model number is higher doesn't necessarily mean a better instrument, just something flashier.

Settle on the hardware you want, number of frets, and pickup layout and go as cheap as you're comfortable with.

I'll always recommend just holding out for something Japanese, but it's been a long while and you're almost as likely to get a basket case MIJ Saber as anything else unless you're willing to pay a premium.

tl;dr

I've always thought the S420/S520, especially EX variants, were usually solid and dirt cheap.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Folks put the older Korean stuff on a pedestal, but more recent Indo is just as good/bad in aggregate.

It's almost worth going newer since the older hardware hasn't always aged well.

The important thing to remember is that pretty much all the Standard line stuff is roughly the same odds of getting something decent, so just because the model number is higher doesn't necessarily mean a better instrument, just something flashier.

Settle on the hardware you want, number of frets, and pickup layout and go as cheap as you're comfortable with.

I'll always recommend just holding out for something Japanese, but it's been a long while and you're almost as likely to get a basket case MIJ Saber as anything else unless you're willing to pay a premium.

tl;dr

I've always thought the S420/S520, especially EX variants, were usually solid and dirt cheap.

Amazing info thank you!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score