Ibanez 2024 NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez makes some of my favorite guitars but man their headless guitars are some of the worst I've ever seen
They're crazy ugly but they don't look too bad when they're sitting on somebody. They just kinda look like a headless Saber when somebody's playing them.

Q54.jpg

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
The Qs don't bother me enough to hate them, but they look way more... blobular than something like a Strandberg or Agile. It's not my favorite look, but I don't hate it, and it isn't ugly enough for me personally to prevent me from playing one.

Definitely not the most attractive headless guitars, though.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Idk what's gone wrong with me. But lately ive grown to love the subdued finishes. I love the Suhr Terra finishes. And i love the khaki J-Line hardtail. Love the blue one as well.

I wish I got myself the army green Dk24 when they were still available.

I like the new AZ premium in blue grey. No pickguard. The other AZ strat prestige in black woud be a favorite.

I don't know when ill be going back to RGs. I like the new curvier stuff, AZ, DK24s etc. no pickguard.

The new 22 fret DK22 in black with Duncan 59/custom and arched top is just so nice.

Honestly i expect more out of my amps/strings/fingers nowadays. But I try gassing.

bloodjunkie

Reaction score
I want a Q series pretty bad and I’ve loved the couple I’ve played. Don’t want one because of the looks or the headless-stock but because I’m going through a bad back injury and they’re incredibly light haha. There’s a used ‘standard’ with the natural finish for $1100 cad but I like the look of the cheaper black one better. Is there any difference besides the gold frets? The standards are $200 more new then the black ones(I’ll never remember an Ibanez model name for the life of me).

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I want a Q series pretty bad and I’ve loved the couple I’ve played. Don’t want one because of the looks or the headless-stock but because I’m going through a bad back injury and they’re incredibly light haha. There’s a used ‘standard’ with the natural finish for $1100 cad but I like the look of the cheaper black one better. Is there any difference besides the gold frets? The standards are $200 more new then the black ones(I’ll never remember an Ibanez model name for the life of me).
I swear I saw a Q series earlier today on either Marketplace or Kijiji going for $850 (or 875, I forget exactly), but forgot to save it. I remember it because it was kind of a stupid price and I considered it for a hot second. I just spent a little while looking for it again but can't find it. It was one of the ones with the natural finish. Not sure if it was taken down, sold, or the seller changed the price.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ibanez makes some of my favorite guitars but man their headless guitars are some of the worst I've ever seen
It's just a headless Sabre, lol

Edit:
They're crazy ugly but they don't look too bad when they're sitting on somebody. They just kinda look like a headless Saber when somebody's playing them.
Exactly. I swear that's exactly what the body is.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Edit:

The outline is similar-ish, but that's where it ends. The proportions are a bit different, same with the slight offset of the body, and obviously the profile of the body and carves are entirely different.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score

Edit:

The S series is like a rounded, skinny version of the RG. The Quest series are not much larger than a tabelspoon.

The contours and carves are completely different as well, as Max already pointed out.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The S series is like a rounded, skinny version of the RG. The Quest series are not much larger than a tabelspoon.

The contours and carves are completely different as well, as Max already pointed out.
Alright alright. Carves and contours are totally different sure. But it's not like they're totally dissimilar either, particularly in the general outline. The whole bass side of the body is extremely similar and the treble side is offset ever so slightly as mentioned, and has some other fairly small differences, particularly around the horn.

Attachments

• 446342-Ibanez-Q-Series-Headless-Guitar-HH-Laser-Blue-Matte-Body-2604808954.png
    446342-Ibanez-Q-Series-Headless-Guitar-HH-Laser-Blue-Matte-Body-2604808954.png
    759 KB · Views: 24

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright alright. Carves and contours are totally different sure. But it's not like they're totally dissimilar either, particularly in the general outline. The whole bass side of the body is extremely similar and the treble side is offset ever so slightly as mentioned, and has some other fairly small differences, particularly around the horn.
Yeah, it's totally fair to say the look very similar at a glance, much more so olin pictures where you can't really tell size. Side by side in person they just look so different though. But I agree that the Q very likely takes inspiration from the S.