Ibanez 2024 NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I've never seen one in person, that probably would dispel the illusion. I've pretty much only seen the stock photos, lol.
There are plenty of superstrats that look similar to the Saber at first glance, from the front view. Where the Saber design drastically differs is every other part of the body profle.

Q52:
1717924717950.jpeg 1717924747200.jpeg

S5470:
1717925517268.jpeg1717925443473.jpeg 1717925541433.jpeg
1717925561909.jpeg1717925581435.jpeg

From the second angle above, the Q looks far more like an RGA than an S. Just needs pointier horns and a carve added to the upper horn.

1717924635026.jpeg

And the aesthetic of some Qs makes them look more like an AZ than an S imo. Here's a Q54:

1717924882616.jpeg

Matt08642

Reaction score
New J-Line finishes on the Japanese site.

p_region_RG6HSHFX_KMF_00_01.png

But... but... but... if you take away the nostalgia and FOMO, then every complaint everyone in ss.org has made just crumbles to the ground. :lol:

Christ, if this green one had a black Edge trem I'd buy 2 :lol:

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
Not a hug fan of the inlays, but this is a very clean xiphos imo

I'm not the biggest "metal shape" guy but that's one of the coolest instruments I've seen in a minute.

I personally love the inlays, mostly because I think that while offset dot patterns are usually fine I find shark tooth, plain block and centerline dots (which make up 95% of inlays) are dull and cheap-looking. Inlays are kind of a big deal to me since it seems like one of the most obvious easy (with current technology)/cool cosmetic changes you could make on a guitar but very little variety is really present. That is with the exception of the rise of offset dots, which is refreshing IMO. That being said, I think we are about one "tree of __" or similar deisgn from Ibanez away from those being pretty uninspired even though I love all of the current ones lol.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest "metal shape" guy but that's one of the coolest instruments I've seen in a minute.

I personally love the inlays, mostly because I think that while offset dot patterns are usually fine I find shark tooth, plain block and centerline dots (which make up 95% of inlays) are dull and cheap-looking. Inlays are kind of a big deal to me since it seems like one of the most obvious easy (with current technology)/cool cosmetic changes you could make on a guitar but very little variety is really present. That is with the exception of the rise of offset dots, which is refreshing IMO. That being said, I think we are about one "tree of __" or similar deisgn from Ibanez away from those being pretty uninspired even though I love all of the current ones lol.
yeah i didnt mean the inlays are bad, just not my style. They fit polyphia perfectly, and look great on that guitar.

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
yeah i didnt mean the inlays are bad, just not my style. They fit polyphia perfectly, and look great on that guitar.
lol I get what you mean, just saw an opportunity to go on an inlay rant. I apologize if I sounded like I was somehow targeting your comment, I just like to whine about inlay options...

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a hug fan of the inlays, but this is a very clean xiphos imo

I'm sure people would buy it right up, but I haaaate this.

No reverse headstock isn't for me with these and I don't like the inlays at all.

I think all the eLeGaNt polyphia stuff looks wack though. Different strokes.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm sure people would buy it right up, but I haaaate this.

No reverse headstock isn't for me with these and I don't like the inlays at all.

I think all the eLeGaNt polyphia stuff looks wack though. Different strokes.
I don't mind any of that tbh.

What I do mind is that trem. Xiphos with a 2pt trem just looks wrong.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I don't mind any of that tbh.

What I do mind is that trem. Xiphos with a 2pt trem just looks wrong.
The bridge is the first and biggest issue I spotted with it.

I think the white finish looks great on the Xiphos shape. For me, a pointy guitar like this should either have no inlays or something unique / flashy, so while these specific inlays wouldn't be my choice, I do think they "work" for the design.

FWIW I like the Xiphos in general. I own an XPT700-RCM (original 2007 design, but I prefer the later version with bigger bevels). I was very tempted to buy an XPTB720 last year, but opted for a used RGD2127Z instead and put D Activators in that, as I wanted MIJ with a better trem & 430mm fretboard radius plus to avoid potential QC issues. If Ibanez ever releases an MIJ Xiphos, my GAS will go into overdrive.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
The bridge is the first and biggest issue I spotted with it.

I think the white finish looks great on the Xiphos shape. For me, a pointy guitar like this should either have no inlays or something unique / flashy, so while these specific inlays wouldn't be my choice, I do think they "work" for the design.

FWIW I like the Xiphos in general. I own an XPT700-RCM (original 2007 design, but I prefer the later version with bigger bevels). I was very tempted to buy an XPTB720 last year, but opted for a used RGD2127Z instead and put D Activators in that, as I wanted MIJ with a better trem & 430mm fretboard radius plus to avoid potential QC issues. If Ibanez ever releases an MIJ Xiphos, my GAS will go into overdrive.
The lack of reverse headstock also bothers me. On a fairly standard strat / super-strat body, I think a standard headstock looks better than reverse. On a Xiphos, reverse is aesthetically more "balanced". Basically, I seem to prefer the Ibanez headstock to point in the opposite direction to the longest horn. I guess I would have no preference on a V-shape guitar.