Ibanez 2024 NAMM

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Axe Design Lab is of Indonesian origin, no? Nvm I looked it up like a big boy. MIJ.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think all the eLeGaNt polyphia stuff looks wack though. Different strokes.
I tried one of those Scottie Lepage gold AZs a few weeks ago at a store. I am not entirely sure why, but I hated almost everything about it. It looked a lot nicer in pictures, the inlays and body binding seemed a little flat/plasticy, it was heavy, the neck felt funny (though I think this was psychological on my part since my brain expects it to be thinner/flatter), and I just didn't feel at home with it. Funnily enough, I have an AZ2402 from 2019 that is basically my desert island guitar and is the antithesis of that Lepage AZ. It's very light (barely over 7 lbs), plays like butter, the trem is wonderful with its titanium saddles, and I fully expect the whole guitar to feel the way it does given the aesthetics.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ship has sailed on bringing out a higher end Xiphos. It's just not going to happen barring some new big name player coming up using one or a legacy artist with real pull.

So either get Joe or Steve into them or get very good at playing guitar very quickly.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I think all the eLeGaNt polyphia stuff looks wack though. Different strokes.
I feel you on that. The polyphia dudes go hard on the A E S T H E T I C, which I wouldn't rock, but I still enjoy looking at it. I appreciate the diversity 😆
What I do mind is that trem. Xiphos with a 2pt trem just looks wrong.
Indeed, I'm not a trem guy, but it's kind of funny seeing an extreme metal shape with a 2 point. But again, since it's polyphia, I see why he would go for it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Axe Design Lab is of Indonesian origin, no? Nvm I looked it up like a big boy. MIJ.

The Axe Design Lab label is more of an umbrella for some of Ibanez models with some unique quirks. MIJ or otherwise.

EG: the chambered J Custom RG8870, Prestige RG with an Evertune or the 27 fret RGA are MIJ, while the S multiscale, current 9 string RG and all the RGDs are MII.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
The ship has sailed on bringing out a higher end Xiphos. It's just not going to happen barring some new big name player coming up using one or a legacy artist with real pull.

So either get Joe or Steve into them or get very good at playing guitar very quickly.
A few respected guitarists / bands have used the Xiphos, but none big enough to have a signature model. :(

Perhaps my best / only option is to find one of the cheaper bolt-on models, a used MIJ Wizard neck and a used Edge Pro (I believe that's the only "proper" Edge compatible with the Edge 3 route). Not quite what I had in mind though...even putting the lack of neck-thru aside.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
They made a colorshift Xyphos 7 w/ sharktooth inlays and a reverse headstock. You guys have no right to complain.
View attachment 144920
My Xiphos is the tremolo version of that. If it had a Super Wizard neck profile w/ 430mm fretboard radius, and the bridge cavity was compatible with any of Edge / Lo-Pro Edge / Edge Zero, I would not complain.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Xiphos is the tremolo version of that. If it had a Super Wizard neck profile w/ 430mm fretboard radius, and the bridge cavity was compatible with any of Edge / Lo-Pro Edge / Edge Zero, I would not complain.

None of that is really difficult to fix. Would be a fun project.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
None of that is really difficult to fix. Would be a fun project.
It would no longer be neck-thru and would need a complete refinish. If I was going down that route, I'd want to use either a beater XPT700 (which mine is not) or a cheaper bolt-on model. Also, I wouldn't be up to doing the work myself (pickup swaps is about as adventurous as I get).

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Judging by the little string tree, I’m thinking it also has a non-tilted headstock. Yeah, it might not have any technical issues, but it sure does look cheap.

I made the Hufschmid guy hate me over a decade ago for that very same reason :lol:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else see this absolutely sick RG2027XL/LACS?

Obviously already been posted, but big pics and full spec were posted on Facebook so I've done the gentlemanly thing and shared the love:

Custom Ibanez RG2027XL
- 27” scale
- Wizard 7 neck (XL version 5pc maple/wenge)
- one push / pull volume knob with coil split
- 24 jumbo frets
- Lo Pro Edge bridge
- Bareknuckle Impulses
- Ebony Fretboard
- Offset inlays
- tortoise shell pickguard and truss cover
- Olympic white over 3-tone tobacco relic finish

dattaldo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd just like a new seven string RG or S with a trem. That should be Ibanez's bread and butter, but it seems like they've been allergic to releasing them the last few years. In classic "one spec away" form, I'd buy the RGR5130 in a heartbeat if it were a seven string model.