Ibanez 2024 NAMM

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
What they don't tell you is that positions mixing both humbuckers (in whatever split or power tap option) are in parallel, even when in position 3 each humbucker is in series (their own coils are in series).

Oooooh, that explains a lot. Kinda cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Oooooh, that explains a lot. Kinda cool.
Well, at least that's what I've been finding always through out the years when disassembling ibanez guitars. The thing is, all coils in series is a sound with way over-the-top of everything and might be a bit hard to tame into something usable, hence the mix in parallel... but there are other sounds super interesting, like having the mix in series but each humbucker is in parallel wiring.

I've found that the more coils there are mixed in pot, the more compressed the tone will feel, this is valid for all parallel, all series or a mix of both wiring methods.

In this specific scenario of this Quest model, positions 2 and 4 are outer and inner coils in parallel, but their series mix is superb, in my opinion and I do like the inner coils in series as it sounds better than the common "both pickups on", sounds more natural, less compressed and a perfect "in between" tone between bridge only and neck only, both hums are in series wiring. It doesn't lack in power nor in tone...

... and that's a tone the Hyperswitch from Seymour Duncan can't achieve... unfortunately...

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
I've got one of the QX series in six string and despite the fact I've no idea what any of the controls do, it's so nice to play. I do wonder if I'd get more mileage from the controls if I swapped it all out for some Fishmans but it sounds pretty good as it is.

GASing real hard for that new pale moon ebony seven...

Nobody

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
First they switched the Q series from EVO gold frets to stainless steel and now they bring a new model with EVO gold frets. Isn't that a bit weird?
first thing I noticed

Moongrum

Reaction score
New things for May. Mostly some acoustics, but a lefty AZ Prestige and a pale moon ebony Q series in 6- and 7-string.

View attachment 142887

View attachment 142888

I've been wanting a fixed-bridge 25.5" seven string to tune up a half-step, so I'm pretty intrigued.
Dang, I was in the market for that lefty AZ 4 years ago. Hopefully other lefties will buy it so it doesn't reinforce Ibanez attitude of whats-the-fucking-point-of-making-more-lefties 😅

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
They do look gold on the photo.

Are they similar hardness or do we just know they also have gold color?

Rumor is the hosco stuff has similar hardness. Can't speak for the stewmac stuff, but I think stewmac only offers it in medium size @ the moment.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They do look gold on the photo.

It's hard to tell, once polished EVO doesn't look very gold, at least enough to tell apart on what is a brown background (fretboard) on a processed photo.

Not to mention these are product pics taken months ago of a prototype.

These are EVO frets posted by the Jescar Twitter account:

IMG_3511.jpeg

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I have consecutively failed to notice gold frets while looking at those certain guitars, even those guitars right next to steel/nickel fret guitars. It's definitely not obvious unless you're looking for it IME.

That said, it does look better on a lot of brown/sunburst/black guitars.

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have consecutively failed to notice gold frets while looking at those certain guitars, even those guitars right next to steel/nickel fret guitars. It's definitely not obvious unless you're looking for it IME.

That said, it does look better on a lot of brown/sunburst/black guitars.
It's the first thing I saw, I think it sticks out especially because the hardware is not gold. Also I'm not the only one it seems:
first thing I noticed

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's hard to tell, once polished EVO doesn't look very gold, at least enough to tell apart on what is a brown background (fretboard) on a processed photo.

Not to mention these are product pics taken months ago of a prototype.

These are EVO frets posted by the Jescar Twitter account:

View attachment 143045
Maybe it depends on the screen colors they do look very gold to me.
Also if you check the other product pictures they have all changed the pictures from gold to silver color frets with the switch to stainless steel.

Latest posts