Ibanez 2024 NAMM

Ray-T

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyways, if otherwise this guitar has not anything better than the rest of the Q models, then that top would not be worth the upcharge for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I already posted about this a few months ago, wanting a fiesta red, evertune, RG2077XL like Jesse Cash. Just figured I'd throw in an update.

I went to see Erra live and got to sit in on a Q&A with the band before the show. I asked Jesse if he was going to get a signature Ibanez anytime soon. I could tell by his reaction that it was somewhat of a sore spot for him and he basically said he'd have to keep pushing them to make one, but nothing in the works yet.
a_main_JesseCash.jpg

Dude appears to literally have 3 guitars, all Ibanez RG's, and this same custom RG2077XL and his other walnut RG7 are on like 99% of the stuff he's played over at least the last 7-8 years.

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Q series is so intriguing to me - played once and it felt amazing. Like a better Strandberg. But I haven't been in love with the color and pickup config combinations they have put out. Nor the pickguards.

Wish I could customize the color
Also would love a trem on it
Still might get the blue one at some point but that PME is pretty sweet.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The Q guitars seem like a pussyfooted attempt at catching up with innovations which already have a market of their own. The no vertical fret, unslanted pickups, no body changes to facilitate the near zero neck dive of a headless, proprietary hardware, cheap veneers and finishes, so on and so forth. It's like they are testing the market as gingerly as possible and in doing so ended up dropping a fat turd. If you actually want a decent multiscale it's not a Q, though they're probably still fine guitars by other metrics- or not, because of half assed good idea fairy crap. I have no idea outside of my own preferences, but to me it looks like the guitar version of "I'm afraid to play in front of people". If you're going to do something then do it and own it, this coy experimentation is dumb.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
seem like a pussyfooted attempt at catching up with innovations which already have a market of their own.
Man this line alone feels like it sums up Ibanez over the past decade and a half.... Premium series, Prestige Uppercut, Iron Label, Axion Label, Q Series.

All of these felt like answers to what some players wanted, but doing them either way too late or just fumbling it completely.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
The Q guitars seem like a pussyfooted attempt at catching up with innovations which already have a market of their own. The no vertical fret, unslanted pickups, no body changes to facilitate the near zero neck dive of a headless, proprietary hardware, cheap veneers and finishes, so on and so forth. It's like they are testing the market as gingerly as possible and in doing so ended up dropping a fat turd. If you actually want a decent multiscale it's not a Q, though they're probably still fine guitars by other metrics- or not, because of half assed good idea fairy crap. I have no idea outside of my own preferences, but to me it looks like the guitar version of "I'm afraid to play in front of people". If you're going to do something then do it and own it, this coy experimentation is dumb.
I love my Q series but otherwise I agree Ibanez could do with being much more adventurous. Imagine a headless RG series, a headless S series etc.

Presumably Ibanez have looked at the market and realised relatively few people buy headless guitars, but then surely that is also due to a lack of supply. They could be leading the way in mainstream headless models because right now it's either budget models like Eart and Harley Benton, or high end stuff like Strandberg or Kiesel.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I love my Q series but otherwise I agree Ibanez could do with being much more adventurous. Imagine a headless RG series, a headless S series etc.

Presumably Ibanez have looked at the market and realised relatively few people buy headless guitars, but then surely that is also due to a lack of supply. They could be leading the way in mainstream headless models because right now it's either budget models like Eart and Harley Benton, or high end stuff like Strandberg or Kiesel.
I'd say Ormsby and Legator kinda fill the gap in the mid-priced headless game. Well specced production models available between $1k-1.5k USD that play and feel just as good as any 1000 series LTD, Prestige Ibby after proper setup IME.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Counter argument; I wouldn't exactly call getting existing models and decapitating the headstock as adventurous. The Quest and EHB bodies at least made an attempt to be a new design and feature in the catalogue.

I do appreciate the Quest series, even if I don't fully embrace them by owning one yet. I'm still waiting for a trem version, but that won't be likely for a while since Ibanez would probably try to design one themselves or under Gotoh for that to happen.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Worth noting that many Saber models are just RG necks with a different body. Often same everything except body shape. Not really worth bending over backwards for if you've already got an RG or two. I personally highly prefer them to RG guitars and think they are made of higher quality woods in general. That's opinion and speculation though.

The 7 string S models with the super wizard HP prestige necks are godly. I've owned entirely too many of them to be considered rational, I think eight or nine at this point, but they are without a doubt my favorite guitars of all fucking time and remarkably different from any current boilerplate Wiz neck RG.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Worth noting that many Saber models are just RG necks with a different body. Often same everything except body shape. Not really worth bending over backwards for if you've already got an RG or two. I personally highly prefer them to RG guitars and think they are made of higher quality woods in general. That's opinion and speculation though.

The 7 string S models with the super wizard HP prestige necks are godly. I've owned entirely too many of them to be considered rational, I think eight or nine at this point, but they are without a doubt my favorite guitars of all fucking time and remarkably different from any current boilerplate Wiz neck RG.
And see, that's the thing - it also depends on WHEN your S was made. I've played more current ones that feel like plain oatmeal tastes, but I got an S Prestige years ago that was made in 2000, and that thing is pretty unlike any other S I've played - it's one of two guitars I own that I would never, under any circumstances, sell or trade.

I'd love to find one of the older S 7 string models from the late 90s or thereabouts for a reasonable price. Every once in a while, I scour Reverb and some other used marketplaces, but they're usually either beat up to hell or overpriced, ime. That black sparkle finish was unreal... Cosmo black or something like that? Or I might be getting that confused with the hardware...

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Point of clarification:

Saber = All S models. (#S and S#)

S = S# models. (not pre-92 #S)

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Man this line alone feels like it sums up Ibanez over the past decade and a half.... Premium series, Prestige Uppercut, Iron Label, Axion Label, Q Series.

All of these felt like answers to what some players wanted, but doing them either way too late or just fumbling it completely.
What was the problem with Prestige Uppercut (other than the line being discontinued)? I think too many of the models were black with Aftermaths, but I love my S6UC with Nailbombs and a beautiful 'Dark Mocha' imbuia top.

Latest posts