Ibanez 2024 NAMM

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Also - can you elaborate? I always just thought they were S series, which meant Saber. Didn't know there was a differentiation.

I think it was Ernie Ball that had a model named Saber so they kicked up a little fuss about rights to the model name. Ibanez lost or conceded. Since then we have had the Ibanez "S" model line (S#) which is past that date, and was named Saber (#S). Colloquially they are all referred to as Sabers nonetheless. Post '92 you see a lot of S# models which greatly diverge from their fusion or do-all style catering roots which already made them somewhat unique compared to the RG, but still here and there with all manner of body and neck variations frequently blending them in directly with contemporaneous RG specs to an even greater degree. That's not especially relevant in this context, just a way of me implying that within the broad scope of those post '92 guitars which can vary a great deal in specification are genuinely unique guitars. Before that point it was pretty simple, a different looking RG. I definitely should have elaborated on that, I just meant to basically reiterate they are not all the same and the line has changed through the years, but mostly greatly after the abandoning of the Saber name. IIRC pre '92 (#S) guitars came in two model variations every year, with the only difference being the body and I believe a headstock reversal. Both had RG spec Wiz necks but entirely different bodies of course. Satriani's sig is very close to and came from a Saber in this pre-92 era.

Basically, the biggest changes to the Saber line have always been the bodies, but post 92 necks started changing as well occasionally. I'm not sure exactly what year that would be. I know the post 2010 models firsthand a lot better than 90s and 00s, because I did not prefer the models I did play during those decades personally. Even the S6527 has changed a ton through those years in so many ways, yet all are the same model name- which makes it entirely more confusing and the model is not alone in the suit of doing so.

@Ibanez Rules can probably correct me and definitely elaborate I'm betting. I'm stretching my insight at this point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I think it was Ernie Ball that had a model named Saber so they kicked up a little fuss about rights to the model name. Ibanez lost or conceded. Since then we have had the Ibanez "S" model line (S#) which is past that date, and was named Saber (#S). Colloquially they are all referred to as Sabers nonetheless. Post '92 you see a lot of S# models which greatly diverge from their fusion or do-all style catering roots which already made them somewhat unique compared to the RG, but still here and there with all manner of body and neck variations frequently blending them in directly with contemporaneous RG specs to an even greater degree. That's not especially relevant in this context, just a way of me implying that within the broad scope of those post '92 guitars which can vary a great deal in specification are genuinely unique guitars. Before that point it was pretty simple, a different looking RG. I definitely should have elaborated on that, I just meant to basically reiterate they are not all the same and the line has changed through the years, but mostly greatly after the abandoning of the Saber name. IIRC pre '92 (#S) guitars came in two model variations every year, with the only difference being the body and I believe a headstock reversal. Both had RG spec Wiz necks but entirely different bodies of course. Satriani's sig is very close to and came from a Saber in this pre-92 era.

Basically, the biggest changes to the Saber line have always been the bodies, but post 92 necks started changing as well occasionally. I'm not sure exactly what year that would be. I know the post 2010 models firsthand a lot better than 90s and 00s, because I did not prefer the models I did play during those decades personally. Even the S6527 has changed a ton through those years in so many ways, yet all are the same model name- which makes it entirely more confusing and the model is not alone in the suit of doing so.

@Ibanez Rules can probably correct me and definitely elaborate I'm betting. I'm stretching my insight at this point.
Man that's cool to know. Good info I didn't have, so thanks - I learned something today. :cheers:

Reaction score
Worth noting that many Saber models are just RG necks with a different body. Often same everything except body shape. Not really worth bending over backwards for if you've already got an RG or two. I personally highly prefer them to RG guitars and think they are made of higher quality woods in general. That's opinion and speculation though.

The 7 string S models with the super wizard HP prestige necks are godly. I've owned entirely too many of them to be considered rational, I think eight or nine at this point, but they are without a doubt my favorite guitars of all fucking time and remarkably different from any current boilerplate Wiz neck RG.
The S series is a remarkable example of how the guitar's body design can interfere with the play comfort. These guitars are mostly just RG spec'ed on hardware and neck sizes (same scale length) and up until 2008 all were 22 frets. From 2008 onward, the 6 stringers got to be 24 frets, mimiking the RGs and beyond 2010 (I think) all Ss became 24 frets, making them "mirror" RGs, 7 stringers included.

I've got my fair number of RGs (all 7 stringers) and a smaller number of Ss and the Ss are by far the most comfortable ones to play.

S2020X is the model I've got. It was out in 2000, and only for a year, if I recall correctly.
I've got an S540 from 1993, an S2120X from 2003 and an S5527 from 2014. Although both 6 stringers are about the same specs in size and fret number and all that, the S2120X has a beefier neck than the S540. The S5527's neck feels just like my RG1527's, it's practically identical... and maybe a tiny bit thinner than the RG2027XVVs and more or less the same as my 2000's UV777.

I'd prefer to have an S2020X as you do, but I could only get a hold of an S2120X. They're basically the same guitar, except their piezo preamp is different and the later model has a Treble/Bass frequency cut/boost control. The problem is that this preamp is no longer being produced by LR Baggs and the S2020X's is, since it was not OEM like the S2120X's. The S2020X's preamp is the same found on guitars like the RG7CST and RG2027XVV and RG2127X... which can still be bought from LR Baggs... and I've managed to install one in my RG1527 with the EdgePro trem, making it a functional copy of the RG2027XVV... If you need some clues in this matter, feel free to ask, I've managed to fully gut my RG2027Xs several times through out the years, I know them insideout.

Also - can you elaborate? I always just thought they were S series, which meant Saber. Didn't know there was a differentiation.
As @SalsaWood replied, there was a situation of copyright in the Saber name/brand associated to guitars and Ibanez was forced to short the guitars' model name to "S series"... as they already had the RG, R models - Satriani's model evolved from the R model, not the S model, although with a different neck joint, headstock back tilt and pickup config - the P models and a few others, so the "S series" name kind of felt/fell right in place...

To me, S series or Saber is all the same, I love these... The 1993's S540 I've mentioned earlier was the guitar responsible for my Ibanez fanboy-ism. I've had a second S540 from a later year that I bought for really cheap and that I sold it in order to get myself my first RG2027XVV... brand new back in early 2002....

... and again, @Ibanez Rules and @MaxOfMetal may be more spot on dates and details regarding this...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
What was the problem with Prestige Uppercut (other than the line being discontinued)? I think too many of the models were black with Aftermaths, but I love my S6UC with Nailbombs and a beautiful 'Dark Mocha' imbuia top.
Eh, I don't think they're bad models, but I do think they were way over priced for what they offered, especially considering they weren't much different from a normal prestige. Add in the fact it was a boring matte black finish and boring aftermaths, it feels like it falls into my category of fumbled by Ibanez.

The S6UC is definitely an exception considering, if my knowledge is correct, it's the only uppercut that's not matte black. Still, it does fall into the a bit overpriced due to the "uppercut" marketing. The dark mocha does look sick with the gold hardware.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Eh, I don't think they're bad models, but I do think they were way over priced for what they offered, especially considering they weren't much different from a normal prestige. Add in the fact it was a boring matte black finish and boring aftermaths, it feels like it falls into my category of fumbled by Ibanez.

The S6UC is definitely an exception considering, if my knowledge is correct, it's the only uppercut that's not matte black. Still, it does fall into the a bit overpriced due to the "uppercut" marketing. The dark mocha does look sick with the gold hardware.
I don't actually know what they retailed for compared to standard Prestige models. I got my S6UC used only last year. I paid slightly more than a lower-spec used Prestige in the same (excellent) condition, but I felt it was a very fair price once the cost of a set of BKPs is factored in (I'd been considering trying a set of Nailbombs in my other S, so likely would have incurred that cost anyway).

The matte black models were essentially the Prestige Iron Label models. There were plenty of people complaining that they liked the Iron Label specs and aesthetic but wanted MIJ quality (like I want a Prestige Xiphos!).

The non-matte black Uppercuts:

1715252192897.png

1715252156121.png
1715252164998.png
1715252179908.png

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Another minor note, IIRC Satch's sig was from him playing Saber 540R (Radius), but there was also the counterpart the Saber 540P (Power). He would migrate to the JSA model for his sig designation around 2010. AFAIK there are no real R/P Ibanez models, they were only variants of S models, but are often referred to as simply R/P models. Not a huge distinction but kind of cool knowing the heritage of it I guess.

Nice Saber 540R example for sale currently:

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another minor note, IIRC Satch's sig was from him playing Saber 540R (Radius), but there was also the counterpart the Saber 540P (Power). He would migrate to the JSA model for his sig designation around 2010. AFAIK there are no real R/P Ibanez models, they were only variants of S models, but are often referred to as simply R/P models. Not a huge distinction but kind of cool knowing the heritage of it I guess.

Nice Saber 540R example for sale currently:

The Saber, Radius, and Power (1 and 2), are different guitars.

IMG_3514.jpeg

More info: https://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/ibanez/catalog/1987PRO540.pdf

Reaction score
I love the Sabers, but wished they had a bit more room at the control cavities like the Radius seams to have... A Radius 7 string with 24 frets, double hum with a LoPro or Edge Pro and AANJ would be an instant buy for me. They already had a tilt back headstock (the JS models don't) which is my preference for no reason what-so-ever than it looks like the headstock is bending forward on straight / strat like structure... bare bones and no artist association (to keep prices down)... Neck could be as slim as possible... and I wouldn't mind centered dots in the fretboard, although I'd prefer to have them offset or nonexistent... and that will never happen since Ibanez just let go of the Radius series in mid 90s...

We can find similarities between these models as far as outline is concerned but their body sculpture is clearly different...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Max, you are correct. Memory is getting a little faint I guess.

It was a long time ago and I'm at the age where I'm lucky if I remember what I had for dinner the night before. :lol:

I actually had to double check if I was right. Ibanez has chewed through so much branding that they could have called all the 22-fret "modern" stuff one thing, which they did "Pro540" just not Saber. Close though.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I don't actually know what they retailed for compared to standard Prestige models. I got my S6UC used only last year. I paid slightly more than a lower-spec used Prestige in the same (excellent) condition, but I felt it was a very fair price once the cost of a set of BKPs is factored in (I'd been considering trying a set of Nailbombs in my other S, so likely would have incurred that cost anyway).

The matte black models were essentially the Prestige Iron Label models. There were plenty of people complaining that they liked the Iron Label specs and aesthetic but wanted MIJ quality (like I want a Prestige Xiphos!).

The non-matte black Uppercuts:

View attachment 143213

View attachment 143210
View attachment 143211
View attachment 143212
Ah forgot those RGA's were apart of the uppercut series, and if my memory serves my right, they were pushing over $3500 for a new one while also being a Japanese exclusive for only one year. As for the RGD, it was a limited spot model for Axe palace.

If I remember correctly, the RGD Uppercut sold for $2300 originally, and that was before the price increases of 2020.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah forgot those RGA's were apart of the uppercut series, and if my memory serves my right, they were pushing over $3500 for a new one while also being a Japanese exclusive for only one year. As for the RGD, it was a limited spot model for Axe palace.

If I remember correctly, the RGD Uppercut sold for $2300 originally, and that was before the price increases of 2020.

The DY RGD was also a regular model in Canada for one year, there was some drama about that as Axe Palace called foul because they "designed it".

The UC series ran from 2014 to 2019, so no 2020 price increase. There was a ~$200 price increase around 2017 when they switched to stainless steel frets.

Thesius

Reaction score
The DY RGD was also a regular model in Canada for one year, there was some drama about that as Axe Palace called foul because they "designed it".

The UC series ran from 2014 to 2019, so no 2020 price increase. There was a ~$200 price increase around 2017 when they switched to stainless steel frets.

It happens every now and then with store spot models. That aqua blue RG752 had the same thing. Was made for axe palace, but they sold some in Japan as well. I heard it was also released in Australia, but haven't been able to confirm that.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
It happens every now and then with store spot models. That aqua blue RG752 had the same thing. Was made for axe palace, but they sold some in Japan as well. I heard it was also released in Australia, but haven't been able to confirm that.
Is that the light blue quilted maple topped RG752 that I'm only aware exists because I've seen it listed on the Ibanez wiki?

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Axe Palace also did a road flare red rgdr ucs:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

I wrote that terribly, now reading it over. I know the UC series stopped before 2020, I was just trying to emphasis that $2300 would be even more when compared to current prices ie. before the 2020 price increases.