Ibanez 2024 NAMM

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Roadstar II ;)

I don't think there's a single series of Ibanez Strat/Super-Strat from the late 70's till the early 90's that wasn't designated as a "Roadstar" at some point. Whether it's a Standard, Deluxe, Pro, II, Blazer, etc. They really liked that name. :lol:

I love the S but I get the impression they just don’t really sell, especially post AZ.

The Saber is classic Ibanez shooting themselves in the foot. Just a lack of focus for the line mixed with a seemingly endless supply of unforced errors and missed opportunities.

Sure, it was always the underdog vs. the RG, but it didn't have to be this bad.

I think they just never had faith in the model after a certain point in the early 00's and when the refresh to 24-frets didn't do as well as they hoped it dashed any future the model had.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Like I was kinda saying before, making the S models actually worth considering compared to an RG outside of aesthetics would go far. Seems like Ibanez has one neck they just shove into everything anymore.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like Ibanez has one neck they just shove into everything anymore.

That was the goal of the 24-fret Sabers after all. So Fujigen could use the same necks.

Which is funny since the AZ is the only model that has both a 22 and 24 fret MIJ versions. Obviously they can do it when they want to.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
In the same vein as the school of thought of "The Marvel films are awful yet millions of people go to see them each and every time one is released", is it safe to presume there is actually a significant amount of buyers snapping up these Sabers that seem to be near misses? Or is it a slow moving line that serves to confirm Ibanez' suspicions of it being an unpopular model?

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I don't think there's a single series of Ibanez Strat/Super-Strat from the late 70's till the early 90's that wasn't designated as a "Roadstar" at some point. Whether it's a Standard, Deluxe, Pro, II, Blazer, etc. They really liked that name. :lol:

The Saber is classic Ibanez shooting themselves in the foot. Just a lack of focus for the line mixed with a seemingly endless supply of unforced errors and missed opportunities.

Sure, it was always the underdog vs. the RG, but it didn't have to be this bad.

I think they just never had faith in the model after a certain point in the early 00's and when the refresh to 24-frets didn't do as well as they hoped it dashed any future the model had.
I always thought it was odd that even the highest end models always came with Ibanez pickups

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always thought it was odd that even the highest end models always came with Ibanez pickups

That's just an Ibanez thing in general, at least it was as they've gotten a lot better the last several years.

But to be fair, the highest spec models usually did have OEM DiMarzios.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I love my AZ to death, but I recently went to a local store and they had a bunch of S models lying around. Handled a few of them including one of the new SML721... man, I had to try hard not to get one. Just as, if not even more comfy than my AZ. Never having owned an S model is one of my ongoing guitar regrets. I'll kick myself if they discontinue the line before I get to own one.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been wanting an S... maybe an older double locking one or one of the new S621's. The one I played felt great and the stock pickups were pretty decent.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
It'll be an interesting but logical step. Make it like the Radius and artist exclusive; only as Jiva models or for an upcoming artist as another ambassador for them.

Nothing makes people miss models like a good discontinuation.

look what its done for the price of the MTM1 lol...... how an import can pull a $2500 price tag is beyond me

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I really wish they would actually reissue some Roadster II’s. I have one from the year before they transitioned to the RG style that was the first year of Edge trem production and it’s the shit. It’s a stattier superstrat but it’s still a metal machine. Especially having a custom pickguard made for H/S pickups.
My only gripe about mine is the trem sits kinda high off the body, so a version of this with a recessed trem would be awesome.
The neck profile is incredible and the neck itself feels tung oiled.

Photo link cuz the embed is gnarly

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my AZ to death, but I recently went to a local store and they had a bunch of S models lying around. Handled a few of them including one of the new SML721... man, I had to try hard not to get one. Just as, if not even more comfy than my AZ. Never having owned an S model is one of my ongoing guitar regrets. I'll kick myself if they discontinue the line before I get to own one.
I was pretty lukewarm on the SML721 but the more I see them, the more I want them. I'd love to get my hands on one.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I was pretty lukewarm on the SML721 but the more I see them, the more I want them. I'd love to get my hands on one.
I thought it was pretty neat. I didn't plug it in and I don't think the fanned frets do much for it tbh, but it was still really comfortable and the finish is real pretty. Fit and finish were par for course, given it is an Indonesian-made model, but it wasn't bad. I'd expect inconsistencies due to QC, so try before you buy wherever possible.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
That was the goal of the 24-fret Sabers after all. So Fujigen could use the same necks.

Which is funny since the AZ is the only model that has both a 22 and 24 fret MIJ versions. Obviously they can do it when they want to.

Pretty much, it's easy and effective in cost cutting. My RG1027 has S1027 written on the neck.

I remember posting some ideas that could help the S line be its own thing (22 frets, maybe a shorter scale), then getting a few reactions hating the concept. I guess some just like the idea of having the line, but then start playing one realising they just want RGs instead.

Personally, I think the SML721 is a step in the right direction, since the Axe Design Lab can and perhaps should be the avenue where Ibanez can get unique and freaky again.

Reaction score
Pretty much, it's easy and effective in cost cutting. My RG1027 has S1027 written on the neck.

I remember posting some ideas that could help the S line be its own thing (22 frets, maybe a shorter scale), then getting a few reactions hating the concept. I guess some just like the idea of having the line, but then start playing one realising they just want RGs instead.

Personally, I think the SML721 is a step in the right direction, since the Axe Design Lab can and perhaps should be the avenue where Ibanez can get unique and freaky again.
I like the idea of the S series having 24 frets, I use them all. I also love my 22 fret ones, one of them being responsible for my Ibanez fanboyism since August 1995. I own 3 MIJ at the moment, 2x 6 stringers with 22 frets and 1x 7 stringer with 24.

IMO that the premium line with the 1027 number was an attempt from Ibanez for pairing both RG and S models, but since the S is always slightly more expensive, people go for the RGs when side by side or wallet confronted. Personally, I'd love to see Ibanez putting out bare bones MIJ S guitars like those on the RG line, 7620s, the 1527s, the 752s and so on are great examples of models that resisted the test of time and are well revered within the guitar community. Where's the S model variant?

I have only 2 things that bother me in the S line:
- Small control cavity in height and area, which doesn't allow for much wiring creativity when going into the 7 string realm. For the 6 string ones, there are some tricks that add choices in a stealth way for guitars with pickup rings...
- in the 7 string models (and I speak for the S5527) I was surprised with how the lower horn blocking my fretting hand wrist movement a bit, when trying to reach the lower strings' upper frets. No big deal, but it surprised me.

Other than that, GREAT guitars and super comfortable to play for smaller folks like me.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
IIRC Ibanez crammed HSH and a piezo into an S model before. Still, IME pot sizes can be hit or miss depending on what you want.

Really wish they would get rid of the damn plastic switch cover, they won't though. Probably can't.

Latest posts