Ibanez M80M or Solar V1.8SVART

• Thread starter gangazonga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gangazonga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
G'day guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on these two guitars. My main goal is to simply play meshuggah songs which the M80M will obviously do well, but on the other hand, the Solar has stainless steel frets, an evertune and a neck pickup. With that being said i'm leaning towards the ibanez but the solar having SS frets and an eveertune is also super appealing.

Thanks in advance :)

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/v1-8svart/

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/m80m_1p_04.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I'd go m80m mainly due to the ability to buy it from a retailer which is domestic to you, that way you can take advantage of a good return policy if you don't like it or there's something wrong with it.

Being that solar is direct sales only, there are downsides involved in that. I also think 27" scale is a tad short of the sweet spot for 8 string scale personally. And stainless frets are not as special as they're made out to be imo. And finally, tuning a reverse headstock 8 string is a pain.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i guess it depends on what you value the most. Do you want a V and is the evertune/SS frets the thing you want the most? Both will do the job but the m80m already has the m8 in it, so if you want that particular sound, youll want to drop in a pair of m8s on the solar. I personally am a fan of the ibanez wizard neck and solars are a little more C shaped than the ibanez, so its all a matter of preference. I did play a 7 string solar with the evertune and it was quite nice to play, but i think its more of a preference for the V shape/evertune versus the m80m that comes with lundgrens. Of course theres the 27" scale vs 29" scale difference as well. I think 27" is fine up to F, but maybe thats just me.

gangazonga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd go m80m mainly due to the ability to buy it from a retailer which is domestic to you, that way you can take advantage of a good return policy if you don't like it or there's something wrong with it.

Being that solar is direct sales only, there are downsides involved in that. I also think 27" scale is a tad short of the sweet spot for 8 string scale personally. And stainless frets are not as special as they're made out to be imo. And finally, tuning a reverse headstock 8 string is a pain.
100% agree with the first point, truth be told I had issues with my 6 string solar and it was a nightmare to take care of. Thanks for the advice dude :hbang:

gangazonga

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i guess it depends on what you value the most. Do you want a V and is the evertune/SS frets the thing you want the most? Both will do the job but the m80m already has the m8 in it, so if you want that particular sound, youll want to drop in a pair of m8s on the solar. I personally am a fan of the ibanez wizard neck and solars are a little more C shaped than the ibanez, so its all a matter of preference. I did play a 7 string solar with the evertune and it was quite nice to play, but i think its more of a preference for the V shape/evertune versus the m80m that comes with lundgrens. Of course theres the 27" scale vs 29" scale difference as well. I think 27" is fine up to F, but maybe thats just me.
yeah i think the increased scale length would do better if i choose to dive deeper into downtuning, thanks for the reply :banana:

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
RG2228!
No signature on it => no superficial markup.
Super good quality => prestige !
Well balanced => no head diving
Good PU

Easy to find one for 1k€ or less on used market.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
G'day guys, just wondering what your thoughts are on these two guitars. My main goal is to simply play meshuggah songs which the M80M will obviously do well, but on the other hand, the Solar has stainless steel frets, an evertune and a neck pickup. With that being said i'm leaning towards the ibanez but the solar having SS frets and an eveertune is also super appealing.

Thanks in advance :)

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/v1-8svart/

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/m80m_1p_04.html
You wont need SS frets unless you play a lot, which means "touring" a lot. The M80 is one of the most fun and unique guitars I've ever played or owned. Rings like a piano (29.4'' scale) and I like it a lot so + one for that. Also, the fixed bridge on my M80M holds tuning extremely well... even though I'm in "Meshuggah"-tuning.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
RG2228!
Good PU

JBAUP

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
RG2228!
Good PU

This, imo. If I was in the market for another 8, this is what I would do.

Not knocking Solar, but I imagine it'd be a pretty massive pain in the ass to get it back and get refunded if something was wrong considering that it's buy direct, and ships to and from Spain.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
RG2228!
Good PU

:agreed: