Ibanez RG9 Prototype

• Thread starter InfinityCollision
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stg

Reaction score
While I think it's cool they could possibly be producing these on a mass scale, I think a non-fanned 9 string is one of the worst ideas possible. Even non-fanned 8 strings are pushing it.

I completely agree,
A 9 string must be fanned frets or one end of the range is being compromised, It won't hurt an 8 either. Also, I am thinking a 30+ inch scale is necessary to reduce inharmonicity and improve intonation, but I am still working that out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Pretty neat but straight scale makes little sense. Yeah, I hope it's a 30" C# tuning. That would be the best option without a fan I guess.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate, I would like to make the possibly ludicrous suggestion that ibanez + tony mcalphine might have a slight hint of clue as to what they're doing with guitar design. But don't let that blasphemy stop you from judging something most of us will never heard or touch.

:cool::fawk::rolleyes::agreed::wavey::squint:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Playing the devil's advocate, I would like to make the possibly ludicrous suggestion that ibanez + tony mcalphine might have a slight hint of clue as to what they're doing with guitar design. But don't let that blasphemy stop you from judging something most of us will never heard or touch.

Ibanez + Tony MacAlpine < common sense + physics.

8StringX

Reaction score
It looks like their using the new Lace 5.0 pickups. That's pretty cool, I figured they'd use the EMG 909 thats supposed to come out this year.

7stg

Reaction score

I would bet that it has more to do with marketing and production.

It is a lot faster to pass a fretboard over a gangsaw. Plus single scale is more guitar center friendly.

Ibanez + Tony MacAlpine < common sense + physics.
Exactly

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

They know what they're doing with marketing, certainly. Most guitarists, even among the ERG crowd, still look at "crooked frets" like they would a two-headed chicken. Could also be that MacAlpine isn't aware of the possibility of multiscale ERGs and the benefits thereof, or that Ibanez simply isn't willing to build a multiscale guitar yet. Who knows? Not I.

Granted this is all subject to the question of whether it's a one-off LACS or if it'll see any sort of (limited) production run...

Pic doesnt work! :mad:

Original link went down, borrowing 6o66er's link til morning.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Oh please use it on the next Planet X album...

That guitar is a just too awesome....

:holy: :holy: :holy: :holy: :holy: :holy:

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
I completely agree,
A 9 string must be fanned frets or one end of the range is being compromised, It won't hurt an 8 either. Also, I am thinking a 30+ inch scale is necessary to reduce inharmonicity and improve intonation, but I am still working that out.

If you tune down enough, it's possible that the tone of the higher strings wont be compromised.
I'm already seriously considering saving up for this and tuning down even more.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
If you tune down enough, it's possible that the tone of the higher strings wont be compromised.

But then the lower strings are compromised. You can't win with straight frets and lots of strings. That's why harps and pianos aren't square.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think given T-Macs style, compromise on the top or bottom isn't going to be the biggest deal said and done.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Wow, this definitely is something I would probably never have expected coming from Ibanez!!

As much as this might blow our minds, I bet the price tag will blow our minds even more....

Mr GriND

Reaction score
Not agree ! Mine 9 are 25,5 scale, straight frets. Pickups are problematics !