Ibby Vs. Agile

• Thread starter bigswifty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vstro

Reaction score
ibanez all the way! i have a s7420 ;)

DSCN6210.jpg

:bowdown: This just made me go from wanting one to needing one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
If I had to chose between the two, the Ibby would win for me- even though I prefer 24-fret necks. The 27" scale and neck-through design are big enough gripes to tip the scales in favor of the S7420

conorreich

Momento Mori
Reaction score
3 pages and no rick?

wowers

agile is great if you want more bang for your buck. i have a basswood interceptor that is bolt on with passives and it is far more comfortable to me than any ibby Ive played. i cant judge properly because Ive never played the s series especially the old one. but because of what i know i would grab the agile.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So, if you had an Ibby S7420 (why do some have dot inlays and some have line?) and an Agile 727 both within an arms reach,
which one would you grab and why?

How do the necks and playability differ?
I like the looks of the agile more because of the no-inlay fretboard,
but I wont get to play once so I'm wonderin' how these guitars compare.

1_P1000263.JPG

LOL, that's MY guitar! :lol:

An I have an Agile interceptor exactly like the one you want to compare, so I guess i should chime in... :cool:

To be honest, It all depends from your taste on necks. Ibanez is thinner, agile is thicker. I don't play the Ibanez anymore because it cramps my hands (like any other Ibanez) so I ended it up with the Agile as my main axe.

That being said, the Ibanez is overall a much better guitar. Those guitars were indeed awesome, their finish, sound, fretwork and playability is top notch. The trem is more comfortable as well. If it weren't for the neck, I'd be my main player for sure.

Hope that helped :)

FUEL THE GAS!!

Ibanez S7420FMTT

p1040034iz2.jpg

p1040014os8.jpg

p1040022as9.jpg

p1040025ej0.jpg

p1040013rd0.jpg

Agile Interceptor Pro 25 BF

p1040089ti1.jpg

p1040098uc2.jpg

p1040107gm3.jpg

p1040087au8.jpg

:cool:

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
^WOW that interceptor is the blackest 'eptor i have ever seen!

looks great! though i like the purply black too. :cool:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried other ibanez 7-string guitars? how did you find their neck?

I would probably go for the agile due to neck profile, but before that I would have to try out an agile superstrat 7.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I prefer Agiles because my gorilla palms don't quite get along with those super-thin ibanez necks. I plan on owning another Agile one of these days when I have the extra cash - as a matter of fact, that picture you posted is of my old Interecptor Pro 27 that I sold to Anubiz03 a few months back :lol: Great guitar, great value for the money.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually use that same exact Agile as my main guitar and that same exact Ibanez as my backup 7, (spooky shit eh'? lol).

The Agile's neck, imo, is a mix between an Ibanez neck and a Carvin neck. Carvin's necks are bigger than Ibanez necks, But the neck on the Agile isn't as bulky and still has fast playability although a little chunkier. It's in between

The Neck thickness on a Carvin's around
1st fret -21.844
12th fret - 24.384

The Neck thickness on an Ibanez is
1st Fret- 19mm
12th Fret- 21mm

The Neck on an Agile is:
1st fret- 21.5
12th fret 22mm

I'd never take Semour Duncans over EMG's :noway: But that's just a matter of switching them out. I have yet to try the blackouts, but also I'd wonder how the difference would be in tone being that there's substantially less wood in the S series. I'd imagine the more wood the better tone/sustain you'd get \m/

If youre into lead playing, go Agile. The neck-thru body construction is something I used to look past as a lead player. But now that I have one, I wouldn't want to go back to bolt ons ever again.

Also keep in mind if the Agile had an Ibanez logo on it, you'd be paying close to $1200 for it. Agile's are high quality instruments and for all the specifications that ibanez will charge you an arm and a leg for, (neck thru, reverse headstock, ebony fretboard :lol:, EMG's etc) Agile's charging you a fraction of the cost!

As for the body, I do like the slim/thin body of the S but personally, I think the s series is hideous in comparison to the sleek sexiness of the Agile

Verdict- Go Agile. You won't be disappointed \m/

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Angel, I think you just sold me on a septor 7 w/ the neck talk - I've played an RG7620, and i owned a C7 blackjack and Carvin DC727 - the DC727 was bulky in the wrong spot, for me.

Thanks, jerk! :wub:

bigswifty

Reaction score
This thread only made it harder to choose...
I like the tremlo on the Ibby more, but the look of the agile is better.
I'm not a fan of active pups, so I'd probibly change the EMG's after a while but the stock Ibbys aren't good either.

To get an idea of how i feel towards necks, I find Ibanez 6's to be hard to play because i have long fingers and the neck is too thin,
however I played an RG1527 and found it quite comfortable because the extra width compensated for my hands.
I haven't played anything else really for 7's (Shops only carry standard Ibanez, Jackson, Fender, Gibson, PRS around here... go figure)

I can see myself enjoying the Agile, and the Ibanez too... Its just a matter of what comes first :fawk:

Any help is appreciated guys! Thanks!

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
Neither. They both have too many design compromises. Not to say they aren't nice guitars, they just aren't for me. Plus, as cool as the Sabers look, if I play them sitting down, they cut off the circulation in my right leg with those super thin edges.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
could drop an OFR on the agile..

tian

Reaction score
Like others have said, the S7420 is a solid guitar. Great neck and great tones. I was happy with it when I first got it, but then I blocked the trem and it was even better. I only wish that it balanced on a strap little better, but it's manageable.

Another pic:

3971350579_14cc9d08e1.jpg

SHRC7

Reaction score
Agile all the way, I seem to be outnumbered here but ibanez are ...nice but often not amazing unless you fork out far too much, agiles however have specs to die for, have good quility and play like a dream, just my two cents tho, it depends entirely on what you prefer, what 7s have you been playing up until now, if it's been ibanez then go with the S but if you've been playing schecter the Agile wins

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an incoming interceptor but I think I might take a maple topped S7420 over one if I needed another 25.5 guitar.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO it's about how the neck feels - both are good guitars.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
IMO it's about how the neck feels - both are good guitars.

No doubt about that. Rondo has a kickass return policy AFAIK so I recommend going with them first because you can get your money back if you don't like it. I doubt you can do that with a used S7.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You can try and sell a used S7 - and it sounds like there's at least a bit of a market for them.

I wouldn't mind an aftermarket S7 body w/ TOM routing... that'd be cool. I'd get my Unearth on :lol:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, but returning stuff is much easier than selling it.

I still have S7 gas from the last time I saw Unearth live. If I don't get on with this Agile I know what I'm gonna get. 22 fret neck pickup sounds FTW

AgileLefty

hates brand snobs
Reaction score
i would grab the Agile because it would be the only choice. Ibanez doesn't have a lefty version of that guitar. if they do, i've never seen it.

and if they did, i would still take the Agile based on specs and feel. i prefer neck-thru vs. bolt-on, and i prefer ebony vs. rosewood for fretboards. plus the Ibanez necks are too thin for my hands.