Ideas on fanned fret agile guitars?

Kurt lýkos

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a fanned fret seven string guitar for a while now and unfortunately have a budget of $900 dollars, give or take a little. And I came across this guitar: Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 72728 EB CA Oceanburst DOT - RondoMusic.com

First, are agile fanned frets good? like spot on?

Second, how are the Cepheus actives? Not worried because I can change that.

Third, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place I'm kind of new.

I'm also open to any other suggestions for guitars. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I once saw a thread (here or on UG) where someone made a comparison between EMG 707s (I think) and Cepheus Actives, and I could barely tell the difference. It surely wasn't an all-round win for the EMGs. So there's that, at least.

edit: Though there are people who have had less favourable things to say, but the one guy who did the actual comparison surprised me positively, which to me means more than basic empirical notions.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a very constructive post but every time I see a thread about fanned frets I get GAS so badly I can't sleep for days :lol:

I have never tried fanned frets but I really want to, I just need to stop relocating so much through work and actually hit a quality store and try one out :yesway:

Francis978

Reaction score
I've played a fanned fret style guitar before, and it actually feels better in my opinion!
The fan kind of relaxes the wrist because it feels more natural, when your around the nut your wrist is tilted to the right slightly and going down your hand is pointing to the right naturally. The frets pretty much makes it easier for me
Now it does take getting used to, but I say they are a joy to play!

I don't have an opinion on the actives, but I haven't heard too many bad things, I prefer passives.

As for a different recommendation, I love the LTD h 1007 deluxe! Beautiful guitar!

fassaction

Reaction score
I bought an Agile Septor pro that came with Cepheus actives.....I had also purchased a set of EMG 707s that were supposed to go in another guitar. I swapped the Cepheus for the 707s (which was a complete pain in the ass....ill touch on that in a moment) and did a quick sound test recording.

You can barely tell the difference. I used the same patches on my RP1000, playing the same riff...and its hard to tell which one is the EMG and which one is the Cepheus. Dont let the name fool you, they are not bad pickups at all, especially for stockies.

Now......that being said, let me touch on how much of a fucking pain in the ass it was to swap out the Cepheus with the 707s. For starters, Cepheus are very boxy. They have a perfect rectangular shape to them and the routes are made FOR those pickups. The EMGs however, they have this ever so slight angle to the sides of the pickup housing. They may look the same as the Cepheus, but this slight angle makes it damn near impossible to just drop them in the current routes. I had to take a dremel and route out just a tiny bit of space on the pickup cavities to make them fit. Speaking from experience....if you do not have experience doing something like this, let a pro handle it....I screwed up the cavity on each pickup by pushing too hard and taking out a slight curved spot, mostly due to inexperience with working with wood working tools.

long story short....if you buy this guitar, the Cepheus pickups are worth keeping. At least in my opinion they are.