If you could play like anyone, who would it be?

• Thread starter ncfiala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Guthrie Govan, since he can play pretty much anything under the sun then I can just focus on practicing what he doesn't know already

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keel

Reaction score
I wanna riff like Justin Lowe, have the chromatic jazzy stuff down like Gustavo asis Brasil, legato like Rick graham, and clean chording and phrasing like Mario from chon. But if I could just make my 8 string riffage half as emotional as Justin I would be completely satisfied.

eloann

Reaction score
I'm not primarily a guitar player but if I had to pick one it would probably be Guthrie Govan, or perhaps Richie Kotzen. They're just so "free" to express themselves through their limbs & strings...

That being said I'm mostly good with being myself. I need decent but not incredible technique for the music I want to play. Whenever I write something I can't play I'll either practice or hire the right guy.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Gary Moore- whether it was rock, fusion, or blues, he kicked ass and made the guitar sing, scream, and cry.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
Like the secret quentissential love child of Paul Waggoner and Dusty Waring

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I'd go with dimebag mixed with Marty and a dash of via and gibbons for flavor :)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I wanna play like Andy LaRocque from King Diamond :kd:

The stuff he does with a whammy bar is sick. I have never been able to take advantage of a floating bridge the way those 80s guys can. But Andy's solos make the guitar sound like it's wailing and screaming while he shreds it

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's a great question, but I can't supply a meaningful answer, since, no matter whose abilities I could clone, I would always be an imitation of someone else. I'd rather be able to do one unique thing and have one person appreciate it than to be a copycat and have a hundred thousand people know me for that. :2c:

Speaking of which, I've had my mind blown by how successful some of these tribute bands are. I sort of kind of get it for bands that are no longer active, but some of the tribute bands for active bands, ... I just really don't "get it."

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I imagine it starts as some guys who are all just big fans of a certain band, cover their songs for fun, then realize that they're very good at it, and usually if it's a bigger mainstream band that doesn't tour very often because they're 60+ years old and live in England, then it's people's opportunity to go to a loud concert for music they like.

There was a show going down kinda nearby that was a pretty famous Metallica and Priest cover bands, and I know that I could go see Metallica or Judas Priest, but I probably wouldn't because I never usually go to big concerts like that, but if two cover bands are going to play songs I like, play them well, and it's only a 10$ cover charge to get into the bar, well that's a fun night out with your buds, doesn't break the bank, more casual experience, etc.

The band too gets to play music they already like (presumably), do a live performance, have fans, satisfy a crowd, all without having to worry about whether or not the audience will be receptive to their music because everyone already knows it already.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine it starts as some guys who are all just big fans of a certain band, cover their songs for fun, then realize that they're very good at it, and usually if it's a bigger mainstream band that doesn't tour very often because they're 60+ years old and live in England, then it's people's opportunity to go to a loud concert for music they like.

There was a show going down kinda nearby that was a pretty famous Metallica and Priest cover bands, and I know that I could go see Metallica or Judas Priest, but I probably wouldn't because I never usually go to big concerts like that, but if two cover bands are going to play songs I like, play them well, and it's only a 10$ cover charge to get into the bar, well that's a fun night out with your buds, doesn't break the bank, more casual experience, etc.

The band too gets to play music they already like (presumably), do a live performance, have fans, satisfy a crowd, all without having to worry about whether or not the audience will be receptive to their music because everyone already knows it already.

I've played in cover bands myself for decades, and still do. Playing covers, I always see a crowd 3-4x bigger than playing originals in the same venues. People know the songs, yes, but, IDK, I don't really go to see cover bands play. I guess mainly because there are so many talented original artists around here, and also around everywhere else I've ever lived. To me, the cover band puts in 50% of the effort just to bring you a product that is less unique. But there's nothing at all wrong with enjoying that.

For a tribute band...man, where to start? Most of those people immerse themselves into the roles of the artists they mimic. I've seen promo videos and whatnot, and, for example, an AC/DC tribute band has guys that look just like AC/DC playing instruments that are replicas of AC/DC's instruments, and they sound as close to AC/DC as possible. It's like I'm watching Val Kilmer play Jim Morrison in a movie... And many of these bands tour nationally or internationally. I guess I can't put myself in the shoes of a guy who goes on tour for twelve weeks pretending to be Phil Rudd...

And, well, now, AC/DC, I guess is not going to come around again, but when they were still touring with Brian Johnson, I would have been excited to tell my friends I had tickets to see AC/DC, an absolutely iconic rock group. Getting tickets to see an AC/DC tribute band, on the other hand, just doesn't have that "iconic" nor "cool" factor. But I'm not trying to judge. Fun is the name of the game, and if it's fun, then, by all means...

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I've played in cover bands myself for decades, and still do. Playing covers, I always see a crowd 3-4x bigger than playing originals in the same venues. People know the songs, yes, but, IDK, I don't really go to see cover bands play. I guess mainly because there are so many talented original artists around here, and also around everywhere else I've ever lived. To me, the cover band puts in 50% of the effort just to bring you a product that is less unique. But there's nothing at all wrong with enjoying that.

For a tribute band...man, where to start? Most of those people immerse themselves into the roles of the artists they mimic. I've seen promo videos and whatnot, and, for example, an AC/DC tribute band has guys that look just like AC/DC playing instruments that are replicas of AC/DC's instruments, and they sound as close to AC/DC as possible. It's like I'm watching Val Kilmer play Jim Morrison in a movie... And many of these bands tour nationally or internationally. I guess I can't put myself in the shoes of a guy who goes on tour for twelve weeks pretending to be Phil Rudd...

And, well, now, AC/DC, I guess is not going to come around again, but when they were still touring with Brian Johnson, I would have been excited to tell my friends I had tickets to see AC/DC, an absolutely iconic rock group. Getting tickets to see an AC/DC tribute band, on the other hand, just doesn't have that "iconic" nor "cool" factor. But I'm not trying to judge. Fun is the name of the game, and if it's fun, then, by all means...

Cover bands in wisconsin are HUGE. They can be so large they have a following and can command like 10k a show if they want. Those are the best bands though. Same with really good wedding bands. It can be some dudes full time gig where they are making like 60k+ a year playing in a cover band.

Anyway, I've heard several people in everyday conversation say they will go to a place to see a cover band. It fills small venues. Yeah a cover band will never fill Wembley Stadium, but like someone else said, it's mostly there for 10 dollars.

Anyway. If I could play like any player it would be Guthrie Govan.