IKEA BROR Amp, Cab, Gear Rack of my Dreams

randall696

Reaction score
When you don't get enough space in the house for your hobby and have to live with what your wife assigns you xD
May I introduce:
My long-held dream is finally complete

AMP Rack
Rigwall.jpg

After a few hours of Tetris, I've now landed on this configuration.
I would actually like to place the Elmwood further down in the rack where the pedals are currently located, but my son is two years old and loves buttons that can be reached at his height 😅

The idea behind the whole setup is that I can use all amps / modelers / effects and cabinets without plugging in a single cable.
All signal chains are bundled in the De Lisle 8x6 Amp&Cab Switcher and I can connect any amp or modeler to any cab using the rotary knobs and can also switch on the FX loop and attenuator.
Since I hate tangled cables, I made all the cables that I could assemble myself for the rack, so that in the end only the cable to the guitar is visible and nothing else
Unfortunately, a few strips are still missing, so I'm still waiting for the DHL guy to bring me the last missing jack plugs.

Details about the gear in the rack:
Cabs:
-Randall 4x12 (loaded with Eminence DV77 & Fane Laboga Mamzer 30 in an X Pattern)

-Mesa OS 4x12 straight the “Metal Standard“

-“Bogner“ 2x12is a custom Blueamps FRFR Cab loaded with 2x Celestion F12-X200

-Marshall 4x12 loaded with 4x Celecstion G12H100

-Randall RS125XL (Selfmade 2x12“ & 1x15“ Cab) loaded with cel v30‘s and Eminence Legend

AMPs:
-Mesa Single Rectifier

-Elwood Modena M60 (most awesome amp I owned to date)

-Randall T2

-Mooer Tube Engine (30W Tube Poweramp )

-Palmer Macht 402 Solid State Poweramp

-HB Custom Line Thunder 99 Solid State Poweramp

Modelers:
-Fractal AXE FX III MK-II

-Quad Cortex

Pedals:
-Pepers Pedals Dirty Tree

-Digitech “the Drop“

-Lichtlaerm Gehenna

-Lichtlaerm Key&Gate

Other Gear:
-De Lisle 8x6 Amp Cab Switcher with FX Loop and Attenuator feature for all connected amps.

-ISP Decimator Pro Rack (the best gate out there period)

-Thomann branded Power Conditioner

-Rockboard Stagetuner

-Rivera Rock Crusher Reactive Attenuator

-Weber Z-Matcher

-HB Attenuator

Now it's getting nerdy:

The AMPs Mesa, Randall and Elmwood stand on their own and can be switched to any of the cabs (except the "bogner" 2x12) with an FX loop and attenuator.
Now comes the special thing about my setup, the modelers AX FX and Quad Cortex can now both do the following:
-Main out stereo to the Palmer Macht 402 solid state power amplifier and then to the "Bogner Style" FRFR cab with everything the modelers have to offer in terms of modulations and IR's, so flat response is played back like PA, and this cab also runs the backing tracks when I'm playing to something.
-Second out (Mono) of the modelers goes to the Mooer Tube Engine, a small 30W tube power amp which can be switched to any cab using the Amp Cab Switcher. This means that with Poweramp Modulation off and IR off you can pass the amps from the modeler through a real cab with “moving air”.
-Third out (Mono) of the modelers goes to a small 50W HB Solid State Amp which can be switched to any cab using the Amp Cab Switcher. This means you can then use power amp modulation on and IR off to pass the amps from the modeler with "moving air" through a real cab and still have the power amp modulation of the software amps.

Here are a few more detailed pictures with information:

Unbenannt1.jpg

Hidden Little Helpers:
-Weber Z-Matcher (all amps and cabs in my setup must have 8 ohm impedance so that I can safely connect everything together via the Amp Cab Switcher.
But since a cab is unfortunately out of line and only offers 16 ohms, I need the Z-matcher here; you can use it to set the impedance of the amp and the cab and it matches the correct internal resistance so that the amp then For example, sees an 8 ohm cab instead of the real 16 ohm the cab actually has, so the tube amps in the setup are protected from mismatched cabs)
-Then there is the old Harley Benton attenuator, which only serves as an emergency solution for free prots on the cab switcher side.
Since I currently only have 5 cabs on the 6-way cab switcher, one port remains unoccupied so that I don't accidentally connect a tube amp to the empty port and then don't have a load connected. The HB Attenuator, which also has no cab, is located at this point It can be used as a load box and won't damage the amp.

Unbenannt2.jpg

Unbenannt4.jpgUnbenannt5.jpgUnbenannt6.jpgUnbenannt9.jpgUnbenannt7.jpg

all the Cabling took me about a week xD
I sadly didnt took a lot of pics before I moved it towards the wall :( but here is one from the middle fo the process
all Instument and Speaker cables made by my to length and color coded so I know by looking at the cable what its doing.
No AC Powerlines run Parallel to Audio Cables

Rigwall3.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ccc444

Reaction score
Heilige Scheiße Bruder! Das ist schon geil.

I have to ask... if you could keep only one amp, which would it be? I guess the Elmwood?

randall696

Reaction score
@ccc444 haha danke ;)

yes exactly the Elmwood is my pride and joy.
I bought it quiet recently it is my first ever "boutique"´isch amp and its a shame this small swedish company is out of business
the amp is phenomenal.
It can do anything from 5150 over mesa up to soldano terretory
with its different "drive" (gain) stages, the "FAT" and "EDGE" knobs on the back you can discover tones for weeks usually I would say all amps I owned before had a sweetspot somewhere but the Elmwood has like 30 xD

gclef

Reaction score
@ccc444 haha danke ;)

yes exactly the Elmwood is my pride and joy.
I bought it quiet recently it is my first ever "boutique"´isch amp and its a shame this small swedish company is out of business
the amp is phenomenal.
It can do anything from 5150 over mesa up to soldano terretory
with its different "drive" (gain) stages, the "FAT" and "EDGE" knobs on the back you can discover tones for weeks usually I would say all amps I owned before had a sweetspot somewhere but the Elmwood has like 30 xD
Nice work!

You seem to have created a hardware version of a modeler.
All effects thru any amp to any cab?

clever use of some cabs to hide the rats nest of wires gets high marks.

I know youre going to smile everytime you fire it all up

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Nice! What cable/connectors did you go with? I still haven't hooked up all my amps to my de Lisle 4x4 cause I need more speaker cables 😭

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Nice setup! Always love a clean amp wall and cabs.

Since I currently only have 5 cabs on the 6-way cab switcher, one port remains unoccupied so that I don't accidentally connect a tube amp to the empty port and then don't have a load connected. The HB Attenuator, which also has no cab, is located at this point It can be used as a load box and won't damage the amp.
I thought the DeLisle switcher had built in loads to avoid changing to an empty port? Or are you just (understandably) belt and suspending the setup? I’ve been planning out a similar setup but with only 2 cabs, and banking on that feature of the DeLisle.

randall696

Reaction score
@MatrixClaw
I used:
the Hicon Jack HI-J63M04 Connectors link
the Hicon HI-J63MA05 Angled Jack Connectors link
Sommer Cable SC-Classique Black/Blue link & Sommer Cable SC-Classique Black/White link for audio Signal (Amps input and FX Send/Return)
Sommer Cable SC-Meridian SP225F link as Speaker cables

randall696

Reaction score
@PuckishGuitar I didn´t found and answer for exactly that in the manual of the De Lisle. I could have asked the owner of De Lisle Amps but havent done that yet. As far as I thought the "internal load" is just applied when an Amp is not connected to a cab but not when you connect it to a "cab port" where nothing is plugged in. Maybe the device is smart enough but I didn´t know so I took the extra secure way ;)

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Really sick setup. I'm confused why you need the z-matcher for 16ohm cabs. Isn't 8ohm -> 16ohm cabs totally fine?

randall696

Reaction score
@narad thats correct for the most amps a mismatch by one is ok:
Amp 8 Ohm you can run 16 Ohm or 4 Ohm Cab
Amp 4 Ohm you can run a 8 Ohm Cab
Amp 16 Ohm you can run a 8 Ohm Cab

however a mismatch will affect the tone and the power thats been delivered from amp to cab and the interaction between powersection and the load is not like the amp designer had planned it so I would avoid a mismatch whenever possible especially in the long term.
I would also do a mismatch in a gig situation where you have to use foreign gear or similar short term situations but for a permanent setup I would stick with the correct Impedances ;)

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
@narad thats correct for the most amps a mismatch by one is ok:
Amp 8 Ohm you can run 16 Ohm or 4 Ohm Cab
Amp 4 Ohm you can run a 8 Ohm Cab
Amp 16 Ohm you can run a 8 Ohm Cab

however a mismatch will affect the tone and the power thats been delivered from amp to cab and the interaction between powersection and the load is not like the amp designer had planned it so I would avoid a mismatch whenever possible especially in the long term.
I would also do a mismatch in a gig situation where you have to use foreign gear or similar short term situations but for a permanent setup I would stick with the correct Impedances ;)

Fair enough. I ask because I haven't gotten my switchers yet but will be in a similar situation where pretty much everything is setup for 8ohm but I have two 16 ohm cabs. Then it's like.. 2 z-matchers?

randall696

Reaction score
@narad
yep sadly you would need one Z-Matcher per Mismatched cab...
If you cannot change the wiring inside the cab to get to another impedance.
Like changing serieal wiring to parallel wiring etc.

bonus of having all at the same impedance is a relatively equal volume level compared to a Mismatch especially when you twist the knob on your amp switcher and go from one cab to another you don´t want one to stand out being significantly louder or quieter than the others.

randall696

Reaction score
I thought the DeLisle switcher had built in loads to avoid changing to an empty port? Or are you just (understandably) belt and suspending the setup? I’ve been planning out a similar setup but with only 2 cabs, and banking on that feature of the DeLisle.
I texted with the owner of De Lisle again to clarify and there is in fact an internal Load that protects the Amp in case you have not plugged in a Cab to the Cab ports.

Latest posts