I'm new cabinets, help?

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
Ok, so I just picked up a Marshall MG412A in a trade and I don't really know much about cabs. Also, I am going to be purchasing a Line 6 POD hd pro x soon, and was just wondering what I can or can't use power amp wise. Any help is much appreciated.

I now realize my title should read "I'm new to cabinets, help?"

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDean

Reaction score
That is a very common cab. When I bought my Dual Rec, it came with that cab, but I already had a Mesa cab. I had the opportunity to A/B them, and the Mesa cabinet just blew the Marshall out of the water. I haven't played a lot of different cabinets, but compared to my Mesa cab, the Marshall sounded very thin and weak. I was able to sell the Marshall for $250, though.

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
The rocktron is something I've been looking at. I just don't know about ohms and stuff and didn't know if I had to match watts and stuff like that.

rikomaru

Reaction score
I can't think of any reason for you to be concerned. Just be sure to match the impedance from your amp to the cab. Oh, and check the power rating for the cab, too. Unless you're pushing some crazy air, you'll likely be fine.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
Basically match impedance and don't exceed the wattage handing capacity of the cab.

As far as what power amp, depends on your budget. If you're looking for something not expensive and still a great power amp IMO, check out the Peavey Classic series. Personally I've been using a Classic 60/60 since the beginning of last year and I'm still very happy with it. It's a great match for my Rockmaster preamp.

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
So the Marshall is 120 watts/ 8 ohms, and the rocktron velocity 300 is 150watts. Would that mess up the cab or would you have to get close to full volume to do that?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
So the Marshall is 120 watts/ 8 ohms, and the rocktron velocity 300 is 150watts. Would that mess up the cab or would you have to get close to full volume to do that?

The Rocktron is 300W bridged at 8ohms. You'd have to be pushing more than 120 watts to cause any damage to the cab, which would be ear-piercingly loud anyway.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
So, here's the problem with the V300 with your cab. The V300 puts out 75 watts per side into 8 ohms when unbridged, which just ain't enough volume if you're jamming with a loud band. Unfortunately, if you bridge it, it puts out 300 watts and if you ever get above about 10 o'clock on the volume knob, you will smoke your speakers. I did it to my cab. It wasn't a fun day. When one goes, the power handling of the overall cab lessens, hence driving the other speakers even more, making them even more susceptible to blowing. You won't have time to notice or do anything about it. They'll all just go.

120 watts is ear piercingly loud at tube volumes. For whatever reason, solid state wattage is perceived by your brain as being less loud, which is why there are 300-800 watt solid state guitar power amps available and no one even bothers to really experiment too much with even a 200 watt tube amp. Your speakers, however, see a watt as a watt as a watt.

So, yeah. Fun cab. Not the best, not the worst. It's compact, it's made of MDF, and it has quasi crappy speakers. I've heard worse. Hell, I've owned worse. Keep the cab. Build your rig. Keep your eyes peeled for a used Carvin Legacy cab. They run cheap and are Vintage 30 loaded. I've seen them go as low as $225.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
^second on the Carvin suggestion. The Line 6 cabs that match the DT and Spyder Valve series also come loaded with V30's and go for super cheap used, like around $300 in good shape. Avatar cabs can also be found with good Celestion speakers for cheap.

coldandhomeless

Reaction score
well since u already have the cab, just remember even if something is 75watts vs.150 watts... theres only a 3db difference... at max volume... so unless you are playing at pantera levels, you can plug 150 into it and be fine.

Latest posts