Indestructible molecules?

• Thread starter The Atomic Ass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lots of interesting accounts by many others.
And every one I know of doesn't jive w/ reality. The reports of the number of people in the room, the weather, descriptions of outdoor spaces, etc. all have had serious flaws, error, and omissions. Look-up the commentary on that recent book written by a neurosurgeon.

I don't doubt you remember what you remember, but there's a hell of a lot of evidence that supports it was your brain playing tricks on you and there is zero evidence that some immortal "you" was out there floating around.

Ray

riffer_madness

Reaction score
And every one I know of doesn't jive w/ reality. The reports of the number of people in the room, the weather, descriptions of outdoor spaces, etc. all have had serious flaws, error, and omissions. Look-up the commentary on that recent book written by a neurosurgeon.

I don't doubt you remember what you remember, but there's a hell of a lot of evidence that supports it was your brain playing tricks on you and there is zero evidence that some immortal "you" was out there floating around.

Ray

That's cool, man. It's all good. :flame:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not trying to keep this derail going, and I'm quite objective, but that doesn't explain how many people that died were able to see and describe in fine detail all the details of the scene they were in from outside of their body.
Actually, when the events are really studied, they realize there are significant errors. The perception of validity arrises because the "harsh reality" stories don't get as much press as the "feel-good" life is eternal stories.

The most recent book by that neurosurgeon was critically reviewed and all the errors were pointed out. There were non-trivial errors like claiming he saw a rainbow when reality was that he "died" in the middle of 5 days of rain and completely overcast skies; conversations that were impossible due to trachea-tubes, claims about the state of his body that doesn't jive with medical records, etc.

Ray

theoctopus

乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o
Reaction score
I recently watched an old movie, entitled "Man in the White Suit". In this movie a chemist invents a new type of cloth, which is described as a single long-chain molecule.

The cloth made from this molecule was supposedly indestructible, since you'd have to break the molecule to damage it.

Not knowing that much about molecular science myself, hopefully someone here may know, if a molecule were so long that it could be held in both hands like a rope, could you pull it apart?

A lot of synthetic polymers are essentially very, very long molecules. Nylon, for example, can be produced in such a way that a single polymerized chain (many repeating units of the nylon molecule covalently linked to one another) can stretch for feet.

It's a standard organic chemistry experiment, in fact: you mix a number of reactants together, the resulting liquid being clear. Then, you stick a probe into the liquid, and pull up what looks to be a clear jelly. Start twisting the probe, and it pulls a string of material out of the surface of the liquid and coils around the probe like fishing line. It's a very cool experiment.

With that said, breaking molecular bonds is not hard. Put a handful of sugar into a pan, set it on high heat, and see what happens. The non-enzymatic browning, or caramelization, that occurs is due in part to the hydrolysis of bonds in the sucrose.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
The most recent book by that neurosurgeon was critically reviewed and all the errors were pointed out.

I didn't read that guys book nor do I care to. However, I was visited by my close friend whom I was friends with since Kindergarten after he died in his very early 20's. I'm heavily into science and am an autodidact that reads and learns a lot on my own in my spare time. I'm rather objective generally but I also don't consider myself foolhardy. Is it possible my brain was playing tricks on me when my friend visited me a day or two after he passed? Sure. Do I think it's likely, nope - but that's due to the nature of how everything happened. That's all I need to know. Those of you that don't believe there's any consciousness after death that's fine, go on disbelieving it. But in a world where we still haven't cured cancer, where airplanes are still the fastest form of international travel for the past 100 years, and where we still can't truly explain plenty of aspects of the universe let's please stop trying to imply science has life/death "all figured out".

Rev.