Installing Kahler 8 string

• Thread starter thehorrid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thehorrid

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting an Agile Intrepid Pro and was wondering if anyone knows how easy/difficult it is to replace the Hipshot bridge with a Kahler tremolo. I would love to have an 8 string with a tremolo but am not too experienced with installing new hardware.

P.S. I would like to thank this awesome forum for existing and introducing me to Rondo music! I was amazed that they had 8 strings for such an awesome price!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thehorrid

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks man, I wasnt sure if there would be any routing or drilling, which I neither have the tools nor experience for. Definitely looking forward to trying this out.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
The Kahler flat mount non tremolo is only made for the 6 strings...

The non tremolo 8 string does not exist, its actually a tremolo that you have to set with the screw in the back to non tremolo...

So this means you will have to route a channel on the top in order to fit the bridge...

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks man, I wasnt sure if there would be any routing or drilling, which I neither have the tools nor experience for. Definitely looking forward to trying this out.

Dude, get a drill! No man should be without a drill. :yesway:

thehorrid

Reaction score
Yeah, after a little research it seems that it will require some routing. Perhaps I can get someone at Rondo to install it for the right price? Also, Synrgy, I agree, I shouldnt be without a drill, but I sold mine not too long ago to my former employer because he needed it more than me. But again, thanks for the information and advice from all.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score

The non tremolo 8 string does not exist, its actually a tremolo that you have to set with the screw in the back to non tremolo...

So this means you will have to route a channel on the top in order to fit the bridge...

Are you sure? I had talked to someone at Kahler a few months ago, and they said they could make any style of their bridges in 7 and 8 string...

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure? I had talked to someone at Kahler a few months ago, and they said they could make any style of their bridges in 7 and 8 string...

I'm sure, they just dont make non tremolo (fully non tremolo bridges), only the 6 strings...

According to Kahler if you want a non tremolo bridge on an 8 or 7 string, simply buy a bridge and set it to non tremolo.... :nuts:

:shrug:

edit: if they do offer fully non tremolo 7 and 8 string bridges (without the spings), then I would exlcusively mount them on my instruments because I love the design...

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yeah sorry I didn't mean that it wouldn't require any work at all.

You need to route out a small cavity but it gets covered up by the trem so you can pretty much do it as sloppily (sp?) as you like...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, after a little research it seems that it will require some routing. Perhaps I can get someone at Rondo to install it for the right price? Also, Synrgy, I agree, I shouldnt be without a drill, but I sold mine not too long ago to my former employer because he needed it more than me. But again, thanks for the information and advice from all.

Maybe, but I think their stuff is made overseas, so it would be a good question for Kurt. It'll kill you to know that they have a run of Intereceptor 8s with Kahler trems being built - but they're not likely ever to do a run again because of the price. That being said, those guitars will be delivered in July, so you could wait until the group of us gets ours and see what we think of the trems on those before you pull the trigger.

thehorrid

Reaction score
Maybe, but I think their stuff is made overseas, so it would be a good question for Kurt. It'll kill you to know that they have a run of Intereceptor 8s with Kahler trems being built - but they're not likely ever to do a run again because of the price. That being said, those guitars will be delivered in July, so you could wait until the group of us gets ours and see what we think of the trems on those before you pull the trigger.

Thats a good idea. I have actually never tried a Kahler, so I really dont know how much I would like it. Its just that they are the only company that makes a commercially available 8 string trem, you know? Plus Ive always been intruiged by their design. How much more are the Interceptors with the Kahler? I found a site where you can buy one of the 8 string trems for around $230, not too bad...

guitarplayerone

Reaction score

i think he wants the trem tho.

btw for the right price, you should have agile install a locking nut on one as well. have you considered the interceptor 8 string? comes with a locknut as well as a kahler.

thehorrid

Reaction score
i think he wants the trem tho.

btw for the right price, you should have agile install a locking nut on one as well. have you considered the interceptor 8 string? comes with a locknut as well as a kahler.

I havent seen any of those models at the Rondo web site. Perhaps Im not navigating the site right? But I definitely want a locking nut as well, and if they sell a model already set up like that, then thats the way I'll go.

And yes, I do want the tremolo btw.

Niels

Reaction score
I havent seen any of those models at the Rondo web site. Perhaps Im not navigating the site right? But I definitely want a locking nut as well, and if they sell a model already set up like that, then thats the way I'll go.

And yes, I do want the tremolo btw.

That run of guitars is closed, so you'll have to wait untill the deposits show up again. I don't really know when that is, but my bet is end-july.

GorillaSalsa

Reaction score
So wait, does Kahler make a flatmount 8-string tremolo? Could someone install a kahler trem on a regular tremolo-less Agile 8 without having to route something out?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That run of guitars is closed, so you'll have to wait untill the deposits show up again. I don't really know when that is, but my bet is end-july.

Yeah, but Kurt said the cost of the Intereceptors was higher than he originally estimated, and if he does put them up again, it will def be higher. The round that shows up in July is $800. Who knows what the next version will cost. But, not everyone is in agreement that these Kahlers will sound good on the 8s, so I'm curious to see what they're like. Especially because I've got on in the July shipment!

thehorrid

Reaction score
So wait, does Kahler make a flatmount 8-string tremolo? Could someone install a kahler trem on a regular tremolo-less Agile 8 without having to route something out?

Yes, Kahler has a flatmount 8 string tremolo, but there is a little routing required for the springs. At least thats the way I understand it.

bhh1989

Reaction score
dsc1044.jpg
I just installed mine (though there was no bridge previously) and it was pretty easy. The pamphlet doesn't come with a template that works with it so I had to measure out where it needed the space and went from there. I had never routed before and I did it just fine, taking off small layers at a time. Looks badass though and it's extremely adjustable.

Kahler is all made in the USA

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
Kahler Tremolo systems do not require alot of rear-body-routing, last time I checked, so the routing would be minimal...and If the face of the guitars body is flat, It'll take no time at all, maybe a good 3 hours of careful routing - just place the trem' on the guitar and stencil around it, you can find routing guides on the net.

:)

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
installing a kahler is easy. the first kahler i got, i had a luthier install it and he only charged me $50.

my second kahler i installed myself and i realized why he charged so little. it was a total piece of cake!

Kahler is all made in the USA

all except the x-trem series, which are made in china. but the x-trems are OEM and not available to regular consumers anyway.