Invictus Guitars Revealed to be Idiots

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what most likely happened is that the author asked permission, he didn't get it, so he went ahead and posted a fabricated comment by someone who "wished to stay anonymous".

If this is true then that is bad bad bad practice!! This does not bode well for the author of the article. It is unwelcome news, truly unwelcome news.

I think what's happening is a deliberate attempt to deflect from the issue at hand with no proof by a VERY new site member.

So I suggest you stop posting in this thread unless you can provide some, you know, actual proof of your accusations, with actual attribution. K?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Berserker_

Banned
Reaction score
Except by spreading a rumor that you haven't substantiated, you are badmouthing someone, the author.

And you just accused the entire website of bad journalist practices.

Not only must we watch out for government conspiracies, the music industry is conspiring against us too now!!! I heard from an anonymous source that the music industry is actually funded by what would be considered the 5th Reich!!!Some people say the war ended in 1945, other say the war ended with the fall of the Berlin wall in 1990... i say the war continues to this day, and that Justin Bieber is the new fuhrer!!!!!

You can trust me, i am from the internetz.

:nuts:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not only must we watch out for government conspiracies, the music industry is conspiring against us too now!!! I heard from an anonymous source that the music industry is actually funded by what would be considered the 5th Reich!!!Some people say the war ended in 1945, other say the war ended with the fall of the Berlin wall in 1990... i say the war continues to this day, and that Justin Bieber is the new fuhrer!!!!!

You can trust me, i am from the internetz.

:nuts:

I can trust you to be leaving for 2 weeks. Stop being an asshole when you get back.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Invictus Axis in London | Guitars, Guitar Amplifiers for Sale | Gumtree.com

Invictus guitar up for sale here. Interesting read and clarifies that the first few builds did have some big QC issues and they really didn't know how to build a solid guitar.

$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsy!cBRQ2!ZEnI!~~48_80.JPG

Neck thru wenge/flamed maple with ash wings.
2 piece ziricote top
24 frets
Luminlay inlays down the side (no inlays on the board)
Wenge fretboard
Sperzel locking tuners (3 a side)

My review of the guitar:

I got my hand on an AXIS build by the guys at Invictus. There is a bit of history to the Invictus brand, some good and some bad and I thought I'd clear the air with a review of one of their builds.
By this point various issues have been brought up by third parties regarding the workmanship behind these guitars. There are reports of sloppy wood joining (this was admittedly criticism leveled at a demo body, not a final build), bad binding, late delivery etc etc etc
If you look around a bit you'll see that the Invictus guys are taking a bit of a beating at the moment. Still, that's not something I can comment on, however, I can review this build and see if that sheds a bit of light on what is going on.
Appearance:
Right, first off this guitar looks great. Really good wood selection, neck through construction, great detail on the grain of the body. BUT (big but see) this illusion starts to fall apart rather quickly as there are a whole lot of build issues going on in the detail.
The nut slot has been cut sloppily.
There are still guidance pencil marks on various parts of the body.
The electric wiring shorts out quite a lot.
The neck to body join is really sloppy. You can see that the builder attempted a smooth, seamless join from the body to the neck but they appear to have missed one of their own pencil markings where the sweep of the neck horn should end and instead the wood continues and joins unevenly.
The bindings of the different body layers leave a lot to be desired
Some parts of the body have not been oiled evenly and look quite "dry" and dull compared to the more glamorous parts on the front.
OK those are the bad bits out the way, so what are the good points? Well, put simply, it sounds immense. There are a pair of BareKnuckle humbuckers powering this thing and, well it's tech/Dj*nt/Metal heaven. The main body wood seems to be swamp ash and Invictus have really dialed in on that controlled and well articulated high distortion sound reminiscent of Periphery, SiKth and Meshuggah. Speaking of Meshuggah this thing detunes really well. Down to B with no problem and great definition in the low end.
The neck is great for rhythmic chugging but it does choak a bit on 15th fret widdling (this could be down to my lame lead skillz).
So yeah, that's pretty much it. A lot of the bad build stories online appear to have some foundation. The reasons for this are most probably down to the builder overestimating how many builds they could get out the door when the Invictus craze hit. Still, once I'd got stuck in, filled a few open pores, re-soldered a couple of connections, re-aligned the string saddles everything was pretty epic.

breadtruck

Reaction score

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If he states everything that's wrong with it and its only good point seems to originate from the pickup which is of questionable origin, his price is neither here nor there. If someone's interested* enough to spend almost 1k on something so questionable (I like that word) given the information then that's their decision.

I like how he mentions a craze. I think the people who invested** tried to make it sound like a craze but I don't think it really took off to such a level. Nothing like.

*read 'daft'
**read 'fell for it'

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
I really felt bad for Gareth after reading all the hate and criticism, but for the love of chicken wraps, how could you allow those to leave your shop? If I ran a shop, I wouldn't allow anything to leave my shop unless I'd be completely happy with it myself. When, I get a new(or used) guitar, I inspect it heavily and notice all flaws immediately and I'd do the same all along the process of manufacturing my customs for people.

I'd also not get in over my head, even if I was building some web momentum. Fuck that. Quality product or go home.

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I'd also not get in over my head, even if I was building some web momentum. Fuck that. Quality product or go home.
You should say that to every modern manufacturers (phone/computer/clothes/tools/etc.). And when there's money involved, you can always forgot humanity and common sense.

Also, I don't know how 10 pages could have been written on this, and are still discuss. Everything is said in the 1st post, no?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Because he was asked to provide a statement, and refused. :lol:

Herrmmm, if your contact refused, and the source of the statement is still anonymous, then why does he assume that the statement is supposedly his? Perhaps someone else was also asked, and the anonymous statement comes from some kind of entirely different guy?

edit: oh, just noticed that I'm not likely to get a reply from this guy.