Is anyone following this Lynch/Peavey/KDH drama

• Thread starter mmr007
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not even a huge stake. He said he’s not a majority shareholder, isn’t an employee of the company and has little-to-no dealings with their day-to-day.

He fronted enough money at the onset of Victory to be considered a partner, but that’s about it from the sounds of it.
Well I think he said he's one of 9 people that own Victory.
I must have missed that, so its even less explosive than I said lmao.
I have liked a few of his videos in the past but for whatever reason now I find him really hard to watch. He’s goddamn annoying.
The natural evolution of being a guitar youtuber. I dug guys like Agufish and Fluff early on but they got so insufferable, especially Fluff since his tone never got any better, arguably worse over the years. Not only that but the dude just rubs me the wrong way. Agufish isn't as bad, can actually dial in gear, can actually play, and gets very thorough with his reviews, but his "HI GUYS IM COOL TOO GUITAR INFLUENCERS AMIRITE???" annoyed me to no end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Shock news….

Businessman owns businesses which he promotes through his other business…

like and subscribe.
He doesn't even seem to promote it that much. Even KDH pointed out that even though they used Victory Amp at Andertons, they also use a shit-ton of other brands lol.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Business exists not only to be nice to people? But also make money? HOW FUCKING DARE THEY

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Sheesh, you guys are serious capitalists. I am personally surprised that this has been so obviously obfuscated by Anderton. I respect when someone like Kyle Bull or Jon Symons flatly state when a piece of gear has been given to them, loaned to them, or if they bought it with their own money. That just makes them seem all the more trustworthy.

Everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon when an artist is called a shill for pumping up a brand and not disclosing their involvement with a company, but Anderton gets a pass because he’s an angel investor in a brand he sells and promotes? I’d think that would be a HUGE issue with people. If Victory, the company, were to sell for 4-6x EBITDA that “only one of 9” seed money would be quite the return on investment. If it didn’t, then he gets zero dollars. I’d say that level of incentive should require AT LEAST the level of disclosure the other guys in the Victory demo made, in saying they’ve tested the amp before, etc. and that their opinions should be taken with that in mind.

You don’t have to like KDH to feel Anderton is in the wrong here.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Not even a huge stake. He said he’s not a majority shareholder, isn’t an employee of the company and has little-to-no dealings with their day-to-day.

He fronted enough money at the onset of Victory to be considered a partner, but that’s about it from the sounds of it.
1/9 of a company IS a huge stake. And he’s an angel investor. The fact that he’s an investor rather than an employee is exactly why this is an issue. He stands to make money from sales of the amp, because he is part owner in the company. It’s just weird he’d actively hide that fact, unless he thought it would make people hesitate to buy one on his recommendation. Anderton’s point about not being involved in the day to day of the company, or not being an employee, is a straw man argument. Day to day employees don’t get a windfall when the company does well or sells. That’s the owner. And the early owners get shares at the best prices.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
does it really matter who is marketing whom and why? Are the people involved being paid?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
does it really matter who is marketing whom and why? Are the people involved being paid?
For me, yes and no. When I'm going to buy something, it does matter, because if someone recommends something to me, and it's because they're making money from it, not just because they like it, then I'd like to factor that into whether I believe them. I mean, in the large scheme of things, it's not like a doctor is recommending a pill to me, only to find out the doctor is part owner of the pill company. I just thought this was the way things are done, because most of the YouTubers I watch disclose any financial interests they have in recommending or demoing products. It's weird for someone to avoid disclosing it, even when the guys sitting next to them do it for lesser things. So, no it doesn't really matter when it comes to selling amps and stuff. But that's what makes him avoiding the issue all the weirder.

EDIT: Looking back on the last few posts I made, including in the Daemoness thread, you'd think I was a vigilante out for justice. :lol: I know I'm getting all verklempt about pretty minor things here, but I guess I'm having an intense week or something, lol.

Last edited:

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I think your comparison with drugs and doctors is flawed, but the shitty thing is that it's also true. There's a lot of paying off of doctors to prescripe particular drugs.
In any case, it cannot be compared to guitars and people just trying to make a buck by shilling their shit on youtube. What's tough is finding out who is being truthful and who is a shill

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
i went through a period of time years ago where i'd watch a decent chunk of chapman/andertons demos, and with rob getting the Silverback sig and literally every single demo they did (that wasn't for an amp obv) they played through a victory amp, i just always assumed there was a partnership there. if nothing else, they were definitely a dealer of their amps and almost certainly one of the largest ones. at that point it's kind of pointless for him to disclaim that he has a financial incentive in victory, since it's to some extent he has a financial stake in everything selling since he's a dealer that sells gear. granted the stakes are different if he's a partner or co-owner but that's not the impression i have, though i didn't watch the KDH video bc to be honest i'm not really that invested in boring guitar drama

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Sheesh, you guys are serious capitalists. I am personally surprised that this has been so obviously obfuscated by Anderton.

You don’t have to like KDH to feel Anderton is in the wrong here.
There's nothing that's been hidden here, that's just how companies work in the UK, the correct paperwork is filed at Companies House, and the companies are doing business. If Lee Anderton sets up a company in a way that benefits his business dealings, but differs from how his other businesses are set up, then it's not really the internet's business and I'm surprised that folks are actually that interested! Surely, people don't expect to know whether George Clooney has shares in the company when he does a commercial for Nespresso coffee or whether it's just a fat paycheck? Or whether Adam Driver and Keanu Reeves who both look kinda similar, and who both did adverts for Squarespace BOTH have shares in the company?

In this day and age, if you're actually bothered, it's probably safer to assume that anyone on YouTube that does anything for free is the exception, rather than the rule ;)

"Full disclosure" I've always thought that the Anderton's video channel was nothing more than a fairly obvious commercial for the Anderton's store, so I'm not surprised that anything he promotes on his channel gives him a kickback in some form.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
On the original topic, I'm confident Peavey doesn't use prison labor because Hartley Peavey is simply not that creative. Maybe George misheard or misinterpreted Hartley explaining that the factory is like a prison?

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I already knew about their stake in Victory, and I don't even subscribe to Andertons. I have watched a bunch of their videos, and presumably that's where I learned about it. It's not exactly great, but as far as capitalism goes it seems pretty normal.

ps their recent "Rabea blindly shoots out a bunch of x type of pedal" has been awesome.

Latest posts