Is there a proper way to convert drum midi loops to odd signatures?

Antiphase

Reaction score
I`m no drummer, so I`m going to ask very silly stuff. Usually I deal with 4/4 or 3/4 but I`m planning moving further with different timings. I have a basic understanding of that, at least with metronome. Since I don`t know how to program drums (except for the simplest ones) I purchased lots of metal loops that I like but they all are 4/4 or 3/4 and when I change time signature in Reaper DAW nothing changes in those loops. So I`d like to know if anything is possible to do with those, or should I program loops manually from the scratch, or find other loops with time signature needed? Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Time signature is dictated by the music, so no nothing will change in the music when you alter the time signature. You either want to write new grooves or expand the existing ones. E.g 7/8 is often felt like a 4/4 with the last 8th deleted. But I'd encourage you to write from scratch - the results should be much more effective

Antiphase

Reaction score
Thanks! Gonna learn to write those from the scratch then

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
You could start by breaking down your existing loops into 1 beat portions and then sequence how ever many you need for the time you want/shift them about and see what happens/etc

redkombat

Tree Whore
Reaction score
You could start by breaking down your existing loops into 1 beat portions and then sequence how ever many you need for the time you want/shift them about and see what happens/etc

well now i feel like ive been doing this the hard way