Is there any sweep picking part harder than Jason Becker - Serrana

• Thread starter Xango66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xango66

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tryna learn it right now bc i figured if I can sweep this I can sweep anything

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Broderick's "Betcha Can't Play This" sweep exercise is certainly up there. Loomis has some really good sounding ones, but they aren't very difficult. Petrucci is probably the man to focus on for plain old difficult to play, but I don't know of a single thing he can play which I would listen to instead of Becker (I still enjoy Petrucci, it's not a gladiator match).

Also Morse and Eric Johnson have some really great finger traps when they sweep, but they don't really do it in looped runs.

sleep51

Reaction score
XiV and XV by Jason Richardson are both pretty hard- XiV uses some altered and suspended shapes that Becker doesn’t use in Serrana but seems heavily based on it, and XV uses all 7 strings and a ton more tricks. Both cool bits of music too.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tosin has some really crazy ones.

Most good Tech Death bands have some difficult ones as well. Archspire and Obscura's guitarists have some crazy fast ones in different songs. I'll try and find some videos if I have time.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
To be fair, all of the other guys suggested have had decades longer on the instrument than Jason had the opportunity to play - and he did all that insane shit in a few short years. It goes without saying that Becker owns all of us. Still.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Frank Gambale has some absolute finger crunchers in his repertoire, but most are fusiony economy runs vs. stacked 5/6 string "sweep tap sweep" sort of stuff.

The "Monster Lick" will always be the benchmark for me:

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Frank Gambale has some absolute finger crunchers in his repertoire, but most are fusiony economy runs vs. stacked 5/6 string "sweep tap sweep" sort of stuff.

The "Monster Lick" will always be the benchmark for me:

Yes! I wanted to toss Frank in here but wasn't sure what specifically to post.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair, all of the other guys suggested have had decades longer on the instrument than Jason had the opportunity to play - and he did all that insane shit in a few short years. It goes without saying that Becker owns all of us. Still.

Becker and Shawn Lane are hard to beat

Latest posts