Is this what it costs to get good at guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Man...random LARPs on the internet really just pick up an Abasi-branded guitar and think that they are "teachers" nowadays because being a performing musician never panned out for them as far as a sustainable career, eh?

To their credit (which isn't much), it's one of the options of all time on top of their typical routine of posting and re-posting pictures of that Toast-in-Abasket-branded guitar or any oblong offset guitar of the like, usually in the form of NGD threads, across the internet for some imaginary validation that still isn't going to help them and their serial impulse-spending habit, etc.

Weighing their other go-to choices, they still have a bleak track record regarding their paths in life anyway:
362211310_768237905301873_3430055845143958043_n.jpg

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I'd argue being an influencer is a lot more sustainable than most performing musicians' careers nowadays!
Define "influencing".

To their credit (which isn't much), it's one of the options of all time on top of their typical routine of posting and re-posting pictures of that Toast-in-Abasket-branded guitar or any oblong offset guitar of the like, usually in the form of NGD threads, across the internet for some imaginary validation that still isn't going to help them and their serial impulse-spending habit, etc.
> that moment when people think that social media brownie points in the form of validation thanks to photos of a guitar somehow will compensate for their lack of honed ability on their instrument, lack of any music/product release, and/or even their severe lack of fulfillment in their personal and professional lives

The accuracy of this meme is astounding.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I wouldnt :lol:
Why?
Rabea is a guy who got his start as an influencer, and thus is able to make a living doing music related things. There's youtubers like Agufish who bring nothing but "WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT 😱😱😱😱", no one gives a shit about Ola's music and just like "hanging out" with him doing dick fart chug stuff.
Obviously these guys are the "top" of what they do, but the accessibility of trying to recreate their success seems a lot more doable than any modern successful band.
In no way what I'm saying is objective, just my impression, and am trying to open up the conversation with you.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Why?
Rabea is a guy who got his start as an influencer, and thus is able to make a living doing music related things. There's youtubers like Agufish who bring nothing but "WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT 😱😱😱😱", no one gives a shit about Ola's music and just like "hanging out" with him doing dick fart chug stuff.
Obviously these guys are the "top" of what they do, but the accessibility of trying to recreate their success seems a lot more doable than any modern successful band.
In no way what I'm saying is objective, just my impression, and am trying to open up the conversation with you.
Im all for conversation. Just like how difficult it is to break an artist/band, its damn near impossible to do it as a YT personality as well. We know the top 5-10 guys and past that theres tens of thousands (minimum) failed attempts.

The bands and the YT people occupy the same space and vie for the same audience more or less, but one doesnt play shows or tour or record.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Im all for conversation. Just like how difficult it is to break an artist/band, its damn near impossible to do it as a YT personality as well. We know the top 5-10 guys and past that theres tens of thousands (minimum) failed attempts.

The bands and the YT people occupy the same space and vie for the same audience more or less, but one doesnt play shows or tour or record.
I agree, I think I may be being dismissive of how hard it is to get a following on social media.

Going back to who I was originally replying to saying people will teach because their normal musical career isn't lucrative enough... I guess instead of saying being an influencer over musician makes sense,
I should say one shouldn't be knocked for that, and it makes sense for working musicians to do the teacher/influencer stuff as well, because, as we both agreed, creative careers are difficult.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Obviously these guys are the "top" of what they do, but
There's not really much of a "but" after that. If music is saturated by people trying to get their 15 minutes, social media is 100x worse. I've heard a handful of times that supposedly "influence" is the current generation's "astronaut" or whatever in terms of what kids are claiming they want to be when they grow up now. I dunno how true that is, but I'd believe it. Anyone I know under 10 is practically glued to something connected. I'm the last person to criticize them for it, but it's already a saturated market and it's going to get worse. Music at least is at a more or less stable saturation point. I don't think youtubers are, yet.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Everyone wants to be a competent guitarist but nobody wants to play endlessly on their own and develop bad habits all within a pigeonholed style for twenty years just to post hot takes on a guitar forum during working hours.

Moongrum

Reaction score
There's not really much of a "but" after that. If music is saturated by people trying to get their 15 minutes, social media is 100x worse. I've heard a handful of times that supposedly "influence" is the current generation's "astronaut" or whatever in terms of what kids are claiming they want to be when they grow up now. I dunno how true that is, but I'd believe it. Anyone I know under 10 is practically glued to something connected. I'm the last person to criticize them for it, but it's already a saturated market and it's going to get worse. Music at least is at a more or less stable saturation point. I don't think youtubers are, yet.
You're right. I've backtracked on my original comment of "hey! influencer is a better career than musician!" to "Hey! doing influencer stuff in addition to music shouldn't be seen as being a failure of a musician!" haha

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why?
I had it block agufish. All I see of him is pushing some kind of guitar which may be helpful to younger or less experienced guitarists but it just looks like pure advertising and no substance.

That's fine with me if he makes a living doing that, I have no interest in seeing it.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Everyone wants to be a competent guitarist

Even for this much, exceptions apply. And not of the good variety.
354445086_10230143564356025_9152831196549752020_n.jpg

I had it block agufish. All I see of him is pushing some kind of guitar which may be helpful to younger or less experienced guitarists but it just looks like pure advertising and no substance.
It's quite bleak when I've seen conversations pop up from others (regardless of internet platform) but they come to a standstill on what to buy, let alone what to do, as if they're too afraid to make the choice on their own. Or any choice, while we're at it.
Instead, they wait on bated breath just to hear what they want to hear from another nobody content creator with some wacky clickbait, or the punchable "oh" surprised face, as if it wasn't enough to continue the pure advertising and cavernous lack of substance. That, or other deficiencies and dysfunctions instead of actual flexes worthy of handshakes and high-fives anytime soon, like the irrational, cowardly fear of 22 pages and the deliberate choice of kowtowing to a sentient TapOut shirt who can't even roast.

Last edited:

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slayer sped up BÖC riffs at a time when no one else thought to!

Before YouTube, you had to sit there for hours looking at tabs, critically listening to songs, and trying to figure out what was going on. In-person lessons were great if you could find a good teacher locally. My results varied.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You keep saying mediocre with having experienced one teacher :lol: when you were younger.

Im offering suggestions to supplement your online lessons. Do what you want.
yeah I know that you‘re right I just want to stay with my teacher for now and therefore find excuses. I just really don‘t want to go through the hassle of finding a good teacher then getting to know him, waiting for him to get to know my level of playing etc. I‘m happy with my teacher atm and tbh I‘m just too lazy to make a change to get a similar level teacjer that I can be productive with.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i got lessons from baxty 50 an hour (zoom) which benefited me immensely and was very reasonable price wise, I easily would pay at least twice that for them from him

don't get me wrong gilardi is quite skilled but not anything amazing technique or otherwise that I would feel like I would be getting some "secret" or new information that would justify spending money.
Yeah I got a lesson pack from baxty as well in march (so 4 lessons). I think the pricing is pretty good for all the input you get. Only issue I had with him was that he thought I was a lot better than I actually am so the licks are waaayyy too hard for me still.

EliasFriedl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The very premise of this thread is vague. What does good mean?

1) good enough to start a garage band playing punk songs?
2) good enough to have the fundamental skills to later put in more work on your own?
3) good enough to read sheet music?
4) good enough to make stoned gc employees say "fuck yeah!"
5) good enough to tap sweet sweep taps while sweeping tap sweeps sweetly?
6) good enough to get a Kiesel sig (couldn't resist)?

Try out a few local teachers. Buy a few cheap books (better: get from library). Put in lots of time. Have a long-term growth attitude. Practice every day.

I skimmed: what's your current level?
I‘ve been playing for 2 years now started sweeping 2months ago, practicing phrasing and 2way pickslanting atm. I‘m currently working on the sweep section in Born of Osiris-Machine.
I want to be:
- Good enough to have a band playing Progressive Metal
-Writing my own songs
-be able to play Jason Richardson, AAL, DT, Obscure songs without habing to practice each song for half a decade to nail it

That‘s probably unrealistic af but yeah that kind of good is the goal