Israel-Palestine escalation live: Gaza under bombardment after Hamas attack

• Thread starter crimson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
...and thinking about how you never took any personal risks to make the world a better place... beeeeeeeeeep*

*My point is only, protest-death can possibly be part of an overall good human life.

The idiot committed suicide for nothing, and he won't be remembered for greatness.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I find the whole "you are forgettable, nothing will be remembered, there is no afterlife" mentality quite comforting, and as someone prone to overthinking, helps keep me in the here and now.
Nihilistic Mindfulness, you heard it here first!

jaxadam

Reaction score
You guys think what you want about the afterlife, but when Cyberdyne scans the internet to upload consciousness into machines, I’ve posted enough shit on here for them to have a very accurate representation for my future digital self. Hell they will even have a picture of one of my goats!

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score

A friend of mine is a lieutenant in the airforce.

Allegedly the guy that immolated himself was in a skillbridge program (basically work release program authorized by congress. Really cool stuff) and maybe had a few months left until he would have been a civilian.

This kid was radicalized and committed suicide for people that would have done the same to him without a second thought; what's worse, portions of a hivemind on reddit are glamorizing it.

Glamorizing suicide...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You guys think what you want about the afterlife, but when Cyberdyne scans the internet to upload consciousness into machines, I’ve posted enough shit on here for them to have a very accurate representation for my future digital self. Hell they will even have a picture of one of my goats!

We're going to change Veji's username to 'jaxadam' after you die, so your future digital self will be a mixture of the two consciousnesses, like "The Fly" but worse.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a lieutenant in the airforce.

Allegedly the guy that immolated himself was in a skillbridge program (basically work release program authorized by congress. Really cool stuff) and maybe had a few months left until he would have been a civilian.

This kid was radicalized and committed suicide for people that would have done the same to him without a second thought; what's worse, portions of a hivemind on reddit are glamorizing it.

Who would have done the same to him? All the people of Palestine? A random child picked off the streets of Gaza? I don't see the situation the way he did, but props to anyone who is willing to die for a humanitarian cause that doesn't benefit themselves, their friends, their community, etc. It's not always smart, but it takes more guts and more consideration for others than most people have, and those are both admirable qualities in my book.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Theme the last couple weeks of 'tough guys' acting super aggro about things that scare or intimidate them. Feels like this always gets dialed up when there's a Trump election around the corner, like baboons thumping their chest and displaying their teeth.

Ughhhhu

He was an IT guy claiming he no longer wanted to be complicit...that's the part that gets me.

Obviously he was smart and ould've had more to offer if he sincerely cared.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Who would have done the same to him? All the people of Palestine? A random child picked off the streets of Gaza? I don't see the situation the way he did, but props to anyone who is willing to die for a humanitarian cause that doesn't benefit themselves, their friends, their community, etc. It's not always smart, but it takes more guts and more consideration for others than most people have, and those are both admirable qualities in my book.

Plop a random white American anywhere along the Gaza strip right now under the guise of humanitarian aid and peace, and they would be dead by midnight.

The goober even made a twitch account just to live stream what he was doing. There's nothing noble in that, it's just more fucked up shit that will only be a blip on the radar of 2024.

I feel bad for his family and friends, because they'll have to live with that on their shoulders for the rest of their lives.

jaxadam

Reaction score
We're going to change Veji's username to 'jaxadam' after you die, so your future digital self will be a mixture of the two consciousnesses, like "The Fly" but worse.

Does that mean we can finally incorporate some tapped sweeps into Paradise Lost?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
It's never easy for those left behind, but I always respect a person's choice to take the ultimate agency over their life, and I think it's incredibly inappropriate and disrespectful to project our own ideas about life, death, and what we think those things "should" look like onto another person's choices.

He died by his own hand in a terrifying manner for what he believed in. I guess that obviously doesn't resonate with everybody, but it sure gives me pause.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno you talk about it like you take it weirdly personal

Well I am still on active duty status, just not in the air force.

Stuff like that goes viral, and it usually creates ripples which will affect the DoD as a whole.