ITT: Shawn wrote a metal song.

• Thread starter ShawnFjellstad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
What was supposed to be a sort of modernized homage to power/shred metal (and a hack one at that, since I suck at guitar) eventually morphed into a non-specific metal song of sorts. Some parts sound very power/prog, but the chorus and other sections ended up rather Gothenburg sounding, which is totally fine by me. :agreed:
Also, it's worth noting that the blast beat section at the end is a total joke, and will not be in the song when I go in to record the real thing. The song will end before that in the final version, but it sounded so hilarious when I had the idea that I had to leave it in for shits 'n gigs. :D :flex:

https://soundcloud.com/shawnmy/this-is-the-metal-song

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
I dunno how to mix/record very well yet so I can't comment on the finer points of the mix. I like the guitar tone your getting for the rhythm guitar, articulate and yet still brutal :) I'm not a big fan of cymbals so I like how your mix does not have a tick tick tick cymbal track running through the whole song and the crash cymbals are not knocking me out of my chair when hit so I like that ha. I liked how the song ended... is that bad lol or did you take out the blast beat you mention in the OP?

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
Glad you dug it dude! :metal:
The more I listen to it the more I dig how aggressive the end is and will probably keep it how it is. :lol:

Khaerruhl

Reaction score
Im hearing some Brendon Small in the verses... Me like! Really aggressive sound, but Im wondering if there's any bass at all in there? I don't really hear any low end as it is right now.

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
Im hearing some Brendon Small in the verses... Me like! Really aggressive sound, but Im wondering if there's any bass at all in there? I don't really hear any low end as it is right now.

I don't know who Brendan Small is, but thanks dude! :shrug:
Also, there is bass in there, but my speakers are incredibly unreliable and have tons of artificial bass, so it's near impossible for me to hear how the bass wil react on a different system. Tested in my car I can hear the bass and low-end just fine (though there could be a bit more of it, but this is power metal, so .... it). These recording are just for demo purposes only anyway, so I'm not exact aiming for that "perfect" mix. I'm just laying down ideas. :yesway: