Jackson/Charvel 2018 Line Up/NAMM Speculation Thread

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I’ve commented about it on his Instagram several times. I’ve wanted a warrior since day 1. If I have to settle for a Ferrari red one eventually then fine. But good lord googly moogly I want a 7.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Actually here's all of them. It looks like Red is the only new color, but they all have caramelized/flamed maple boards.

4c236cf15b39d04071c8a02143ca32c1.png

7f91ff9cf5af5680c5ffa946e8438268.png

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
Interesting the new bodies are caramelized basswood and mahogany as well.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
This might mean some new colour combos for the pro series as well. It's why I've hesitated in the past.

Does the Caramelized wood have any better tonal properties, or does it just taste better?

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
This might mean some new colour combos for the pro series as well. It's why I've hesitated in the past.

Does the Caramelized wood have any better tonal properties, or does it just taste better?

Supposedly it is more resonant. My only experience with it was a boutique with a roasted maple neck. It was riddled with dead spots and I had the neck replaced with a normal maple one.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Supposedly it is more resonant. My only experience with it was a boutique with a roasted maple neck. It was riddled with dead spots and I had the neck replaced with a normal maple one.

I'm not sure what dead spots mean really, beyond a really poor setup. I know I've never experienced dead sound because of wood type, though I do know different densities can emphasize or diminish with certain vibrations. I've never personally witnessed a "dead" spot. Could be I've never played the right guitar though.

Musiscience

Reaction score
I agree with wolfos. Every time I had dead spots on a guitar, it was caused by bad fretwork rather than the wood. That being said, different notes will ring louder with different wood combos depending of their resonance frequency.

I had a roasted neck on an EBMM and the only difference I noticed was how much more stable it was.

cardinal

Reaction score
I'm not sure what dead spots mean really, beyond a really poor setup. I know I've never experienced dead sound because of wood type, though I do know different densities can emphasize or diminish with certain vibrations. I've never personally witnessed a "dead" spot. Could be I've never played the right guitar though.

This would be totally different topic, but I’ve never played a guitar that doesn’t have a resonance-based deadspot. But some are worse than others.

dongh1217

Reaction score
Was keen on several 2017 models early this year, but nothing landed in New Zealand from 2017 range at all so far, then we are heading into 2018 in a week, lol

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
This would be totally different topic, but I’ve never played a guitar that doesn’t have a resonance-based deadspot. But some are worse than others.

Like I mentioned I know different densities react differently to vibrations on a fretboard but I've never had anything so bad it made me want to replace a neck. I will also say majority of my guitars besides the Suhr custom I had to sell were your prototypical basswood/alder or mahogany body and maple/ mahogany neck. Like Gibson, fender, jackson, Ibanez and music man jps.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority thinking all of these roasted caramel woods are fugly as hell...

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware the current bodies are caramalized! But in addition to any tonal advantages, I know Misha had mentioned that not using basswood on the guitars with tops is due to the wood moving in different climates and also the Guthrie Govan sigs have caramelized bodies, which he has mentioned has its advantages with climate changes.

cardinal

Reaction score
Like I mentioned I know different densities react differently to vibrations on a fretboard but I've never had anything so bad it made me want to replace a neck. I will also say majority of my guitars besides the Suhr custom I had to sell were your prototypical basswood/alder or mahogany body and maple/ mahogany neck. Like Gibson, fender, jackson, Ibanez and music man jps.

I’ve had all of those and more. Be glad that your playing style and such haven’t stumbled into them! Never go looking for them.

Latest posts