Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

remorse is for the dead

Reaction score
My latest Jackson addition. Dominion D2. With fake inlays :D and black hardware. As soon as I get some disposable income I'll switch out the pickups.

IMG_20140322_185026.png

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
@jahosy. I've come back to this page three times today to look at those SL2H pics. That guitar looks so killer it's ridiculous.

jahosy

Reaction score
@jahosy. I've come back to this page three times today to look at those SL2H pics. That guitar looks so killer it's ridiculous.

Thanks mate :) It's definitely a guitar for metal. Period.

Great to see you flying the Jackson flag once again mate!

Always a soft spot for them matie :)

And... is that Drenz's daemoness on your Avatar!?!! :scream:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
So, despite just recently buying a DK2M I'm going to the Jackson dealer in town here to price out a custom select tomorrow. I figure I can unload the DK2M and my pro series soloist to help cover it.

I'll let you all know what specs I decide on.

Owning a custom Jackson has always been a goal of mine. Time to make it happen!

feraledge

Reaction score
So, despite just recently buying a DK2M I'm going to the Jackson dealer in town here to price out a custom select tomorrow. I figure I can unload the DK2M and my pro series soloist to help cover it.

I'll let you all know what specs I decide on.

Owning a custom Jackson has always been a goal of mine. Time to make it happen!

YES!!
Sounds awesome. So stoked to hear your specs.

REVERSE THAT HEADSTOCK!!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
YES!!
Sounds awesome. So stoked to hear your specs.

REVERSE THAT HEADSTOCK!!

I'm either doing that or reversing the sharkies. That's not on the options list but I've heard rumblings that they'll do it. In either case, it makes inlays "follow the angle of the headstock" if you know what I mean, and it definitely looks better IMHO.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
So, here are the specs (standard unless otherwise noted):

SL2H

Reverse Headstock
Graphite Reinforced Neck
Maple Fretboard
Black Sharkfin Inlays
Black 1980s Logo
Jumbo Stainless Steel Frets
Black Neck and Headstock Binding
Black Hardware
Original Floyd Rose
No Truss Rod Cover
Direct Mounted Pickups, no rings
Body Finish - Vanilla Shake
Neck Finish - Natural Oil
Headstock Finish - Natural Oil

It's nothing too crazy, and if you think it sounds like a DK2M with a few extra appointments you're right. Pickups will be standard because they're upcharging for changes, I'll take the white Duncan Distortions with black poles out of my DK2M. Can one get attached to a set of pickups? I'm not sure, but I've kept those despite putting them in four different guitars :lol:

However, there are two things making me wait on this order. One, the price list specifies a $240 upcharge for urethane finishes and it requires a urethane finish on white or "Vanilla Shake." My dealer ordered a custom select for the store in that finish and was not upcharged for it. So, he wants to confirm for me whether or not this is true. Reversed sharkfins are a no-go, but headstocks are... for $300 more. This might be on the chopping block, as well as the reinforced neck (which is great from a peace of mind standpoint, but when you're using all quartersawn necks I don't know how necessary it is).

The other reason I didn't commit. The dealer has a large run of full-blown custom shop stuff coming in soon. He showed me the mockups of them. All are really really cool. Not EXACTLY the features I was planning on ordering, but awesome in their own right. I would have to try them to see if I'd like the control layout, and I'd have to compromise on the stainless steel frets (I suppose if I really feel like it I could always get it refretted in the future) but there is a certain builder attached to the project that would guarantee I'd own a piece of history.

Decisions... decisions...

feraledge

Reaction score
Sounds awesome. What was the estimated actual price?
The reverse headstock fee is steep, but if the actual cost is more like $200 then it makes it not quite as bad.
I would say ditch the reinforced neck. Save that for the headstock.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. What was the estimated actual price?
The reverse headstock fee is steep, but if the actual cost is more like $200 then it makes it not quite as bad.
I would say ditch the reinforced neck. Save that for the headstock.

The actual price for what I asked for was a little over $2800. If I decide to commit to the build he said it would take 3-4 months, but Jackson has been getting him Custom Select builds pretty fast on average and it hasn't been delayed like the normal custom shop stuff (since the master builders drop everything to make guitars for NAMM/Musikmesse).

The run they're doing would be a little more expensive but would have an even more extremely scalloped heel, HS pickup layout, and a volume control moved toward the edge of the body with a 3-way blade style selector, among other options. Not huge on the blade style selector, but overall it's very tempting. He wouldn't give me all the details because he didn't want me posting it all over the internet ahead of when they get them in :lol:.

Interestingly, he said that there are a couple new faces in the custom shop and dealer wait times for runs like he organizes are actually decreasing because of the custom select stuff. However, there are still only like 12 people working on USA Select/Custom Selects and prices are going up. Thanks FMIC.

feraledge

Reaction score
Are you talking about these?
fe2849887000-xl-05.jpg

Personally, in that price range it's better to get what you want over what is possible. But it's good to get a heads up that prices are going up. What percentage off was the actual price compared to the MSRP?

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
^ Similar in some respects, but they made some significant changes on this run.

I'm leaning toward my specs, but it is pretty damn tempting. Also, since I can't change the control layout on custom selects the fact that their run will have control layouts like the run pictured above is kind of nice. Selects are something like 35-40% off MSRP. Don't quote me on that though. Full-blown custom stuff is different, and dealer runs are different yet again.

McRonson

Reaction score
Hi Continent, I have the exact same Jackson JDX 94 as yourself. Purchased it in 1994 for £349.00 from Merchant City Guitars in Glasgow, Scotland, still have the receipt, still got the paperwork from servicing it in 2005 and would one day like to sell it a profit! It's definitely an unusual guitar! The action on mine is incredibly low and all round, it plays like a dream. Pups hum a bit, though. Replaced the tuners with locking Gotohs (never got the originals back from the shop that replaced them, sadly).

A rather rare guitar, indeed!

All the best,

McRonson ;-)

s4tch

Reaction score
^How's the neck on the baritone? Is it like some other Fender-era Dinkys (DK2/DKMG), so on the meatier side, or thin like a Professional from the '90s?

Scrubface05

Reaction score
It's thinner and VERY comfortable. But it's one of the strongest necks I've ever seen. At one point it sat near a window in a humid room for 2 months, and when I got home to play it, it was almost still perfectly tuned with 0 intonation problems. It's a MIJ model, bolt on, plays and sounds fantastic.
This recording was done with it (don't mind the incoherent writing lol)
https://soundcloud.com/lolzroyce-2/numero-uno-finished
Love the way that guitar sounds and plays.