Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

Pav

???
Reaction score
A Charvel 375 Deluxe from the 80's if I remember correctly

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

Is that entire body flamed maple? That looks killer!

And holy shit, you guys have me GASing for a Dominion. :wag:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thorerges

Reaction score
10440862_10203239679206573_772062690417969547_n.jpg

Bought this baby a couple of months back, custom shop USA Jackson SL2H. Absolutely love it: Here is what it looks like in person.

10370453_10203295246955732_4474685156847885190_n.jpg

10414534_10203295256715976_1905374974339746355_n.jpg

10458310_10203295215874955_2177306248955378347_n.jpg

Thorerges

Reaction score
I recognize that baby from TMZ ^^^

Yea, I didn't pay $2800 for it, more like $1700. Honestly, even though this is a very high end guitar, $2800 is a bit too much for it. However, I can't complain, I'm never selling this thing because it's amazing.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
1990 USA Fusion in Reverse Eerie Dess, picked it up back in March and I love it. Sure is a step-up from my Indo guitar haha. Came with a super distortion in the bridge, the middle and neck have un-marked single coils so i got no idea. A previous owner also thought to put an OFR in and very shoddily made room for it :(

4DLJCm3.jpg

V7ZweQk.jpg

I love EDS!

You might be able to touch up the clearcoat on top of those chips to keep them from spreading. I'd take it in somewhere and see about that.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I don't own these, but they just popped up on the website for the Jackson dealer here in town. So much 80s!

fe2849962000-xl-05.jpg

Note to self: check them out in person tomorrow!

Luafcm

Reaction score
I don't own these, but they just popped up on the website for the Jackson dealer here in town. So much 80s!

fe2849962000-xl-05.jpg

I just barfed in my moth a little haha. Do these come with zinc for your face and a body glove sticker? J/K, I'd love to have one haha

Pav

???
Reaction score
So I'm not much on an NGD guy, but I can't help but post a few shots of my first CS.

These two are from the dealer...
IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

And this is one of a few that a photographer-friend of mine took in his apartment. I didn't have the heart to mention the exposure at the time.
DSC0012.jpg

I've read/heard some pretty mixed reviews of Jackson's Custom Shop process in recent years. Issues ranging from the shop's inability to interpret a customer's specs to a good-old-fashioned botched final product. Not only did they totally nail what I wanted (which was simple, I'll admit) but they actually exceeded my expectations in a few ways. Pictures don't quite capture how rich the quilt top, the red finish and the quilted binding are in person. I'll be getting more CS Jacksons in the future for sure. If only the wait wasn't so exorbitant... :lol:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
So I'm not much on an NGD guy, but I can't help but post a few shots of my first CS.

These two are from the dealer...
IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

And this is one of a few that a photographer-friend of mine took in his apartment. I didn't have the heart to mention the exposure at the time.
DSC0012.jpg

I've read/heard some pretty mixed reviews of Jackson's Custom Shop process in recent years. Issues ranging from the shop's inability to interpret a customer's specs to a good-old-fashioned botched final product. Not only did they totally nail what I wanted (which was simple, I'll admit) but they actually exceeded my expectations in a few ways. Pictures don't quite capture how rich the quilt top, the red finish and the quilted binding are in person. I'll be getting more CS Jacksons in the future for sure. If only the wait wasn't so exorbitant... :lol:

Sweet baby Jesus!

I've definitely seen the few screw ups recently. It seems that everything I've seen since then has been spot-on though. I think they moved into the Fender facility and lost Pablo Santana, who wasn't my favorite builder but it probably increased the workload for the others.

Please tell us the story behind this most wonderous axe of rawk.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Sweet baby Jesus!

I've definitely seen the few screw ups recently. It seems that everything I've seen since then has been spot-on though. I think they moved into the Fender facility and lost Pablo Santana, who wasn't my favorite builder but it probably increased the workload for the others.

Please tell us the story behind this most wonderous axe of rawk.

It's loosely inspired by this Broderick model, since the look of a red finish with black binding has always caught my eye. And since the Jackson Soloist is probably the most comfortable guitar in the world for me, I essentially wanted a "decked-out" Soloist for my first custom. The neck and body are all mahogany, 3/4" quilt maple archtop (with quilt on teh headstock!), direct-mount pickups, OFR, and I had them mimick the control layout of the Broderick, killswitch and all.

Jackson's usual red and trans red finishes are a little too bright and "candy apple-ish" for my liking, so I attached some pics of a random guitar with a deeper red finish that I liked. They nailed it. In lower light the finish is a VERY dark red, but in direct light everything pops beautifully. Also, I forgot to specify the type of binding I wanted in the work order so I was expecting a flat, plain black, but they had my back there too. I wish I had better pics to demonstrate, but the detail of the binding across the entire guitar is something to behold.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

I wasn't expecting that additional scallop where the neck meets the body. VERY nice touch, one that my production Soloist lacks. Also, I'd say the quilt maple top on my guitar is WAY nicer than the Broderick I referenced. All in all I'm beyond satisfied. I was actually kinda nervous going into this, since it was my first custom guitar from anyone. For the amount of coin that a CS Jackson costs, I couldn't help but fear that they would screw mine up somehow. :lol: Obviously not the case here. I've combed over the guitar numerous times and I've only found one real "flaw": there's a tiny blemish on the fretboard at the 20th fret. Tiny enough that I can't really get a decent picture of it. Also tiny enough that no one will ever see it unless they're looking for it, so I really don't care.

What I did kinda care about were the "quirks" I discovered in the Floyd. The very first time I went to restring the guitar after receiving it, the string lock block of my low E string fell out in two pieces. I have spare blocks so that was no biggie, but once I got it all set up I was also getting "saddle rattle" on the low E. It was the first time I had experienced this problem but one quick google search told me it's a pretty common problem on Floyds and an easy fix, just bend the finger(s) of the tension plate upward so it clamps more tightly. The guitar played beautifully with no flaws right out of the case, so it was pretty obvious that I was a victim of some Floyd Rose QC rather than something they missed in the custom shop. I was also planning on upgrading quite a few components of the Floyd when I got it (would they have done that right in the CS? I didn't even think to ask!) so that stuff was quick and easy to take care of.

As soon as my income improves, a CS Rhoads will be had. :yesway:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Wow! Great looking guitar!

Hopefully mine will come out as awesome as that. I love the control layout on that and the Broderick.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

fe2849962000-xl-05.jpg

Update: I played the red/white and blue/white ones. They have the same frets as the EVH guitars, which is kind of odd for a Jackson. Smaller than I'm used to, but not true "medium" fretwire, kind of in-between. I also am not a fan of the particular model of single coil in the neck for fast runs. It seems kind of shrill to me. However, the guitars themselves kick major ass and practically play themselves. I'm definitely glad I went with the oil finished neck on my custom, these have that feature as well and it makes a huge difference.

Living about 5 miles from Rainbow Guitars is going to be bad for my bank account...

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
The Jackson 3

DK2

RR5

And the SL3

My phone is dying so I couldnt turn the flash on so poor lighting

redlol

Reaction score
someone needs to tell jackson to make some decent lefties cus im gassing for a jackson. its either crappy 200 dollar starter model or 2000 dollar soloist, neither of which are options for me. they need to take some cues from schecter and be lefty friendly id play jackson over schecter any day i loved my dinky back when i had it still. could play it for hours just a quality built very playable guitar and had a great sound after i threw in an emg81.

Pav

???
Reaction score
^^ You're right, it's always been a little odd that they make cheap lefties and top-shelf lefties with nothing in between.

The Jackson 3

/guitars

My phone is dying so I couldnt turn the flash on so poor lighting

Oooooohhhhhh man, I love that RR5. I used to own one in trans blue and I still occasionally kick myself for selling it. That neck is still one of the fastest I've ever felt in my life, it was so buttery smooth.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
That custom archtop is beautiful