Jackson NAMM 2020

• Thread starter Lada The Great
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Damn, That's a narrow nut. I was thinking maybe a typo but apparently not. I always thought an Ibby with a 50mm nut would be nice. Those extra couple mm would make a big difference for me. I know you can get them on non locking nuts, but dang you gotta have some nimble or skinny fingers for that on 7 string.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I’ve got an ESP custom that is 45mm, and it’s about as narrow as I can deal with. I quite enjoy it though

xzacx

Reaction score
I guess I've kind of grown to accept/appreciate what Jackson has become. It started as a custom-only shop, so I think it's kinda cool that the Custom Select program is basically what's left of it—one-off Jacksons are really my primary interest. And as much as I'd like to order Masterbuilt 7s, the fact they're so elusive kinda makes finding them more fun. I think it sucks they ever went the import route, but I understand the need to make money so I guess it was inevitable. I don't even think they're bad guitars—most of the Pro Model and X Series guitars I've picked up lately have impressed me.

All that said, the fact that there aren't options in that $1,200-$2,000 range should be seen as a blessing in disguise, because basically any used USA model (excluding some of the old signatures like KE/KV1s) is readily available in that price range, and going to be a heck of a lot better guitar than one that's been overspec'd and underbuilt to that price point.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I've kind of grown to accept/appreciate what Jackson has become. It started as a custom-only shop, so I think it's kinda cool that the Custom Select program is basically what's left of it—one-off Jacksons are really my primary interest. And as much as I'd like to order Masterbuilt 7s, the fact they're so elusive kinda makes finding them more fun. I think it sucks they ever went the import route, but I understand the need to make money so I guess it was inevitable. I don't even think they're bad guitars—most of the Pro Model and X Series guitars I've picked up lately have impressed me.

All that said, the fact that there aren't options in that $1,200-$2,000 range should be seen as a blessing in disguise, because basically any used USA model (excluding some of the old signatures like KE/KV1s) is readily available in that price range, and going to be a heck of a lot better guitar than one that's been overspec'd and underbuilt to that price point.

Couldn't agree more with everything in this post.

That being said, Jackson had an "upper midrange" import seven at one point: The SLAT3-7. There's a reason you don't see these used often. They were a hell of a guitar for what they costed (they'll probably in the ~2k if they were to be released today). It sees more live action than my customs, actually!

Reactions: Vyn

xzacx

Reaction score
That being said, Jackson had an "upper midrange" import seven at one point: The SLAT3-7. There's a reason you don't see these used often. They were a hell of a guitar for what they costed (they'll probably in the ~2k if they were to be released today). It sees more live action than my customs, actually!

I've never played one, but that's pretty much the only non-USA Jackson I've semi-seriously considered buying—I've always heard great things. Almost pulled the trigger on a green swirl a few times over the years but ended up deciding to save the money for when a Custom Shop I want more pops up. I imagine that some day I'll end up grabbing one though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never played one, but that's pretty much the only non-USA Jackson I've semi-seriously considered buying—I've always heard great things. Almost pulled the trigger on a green swirl a few times over the years but ended up deciding to save the money for when a Custom Shop I want more pops up. I imagine that some day I'll end up grabbing one though.

The SLAT3-7s were some of the last from Chushin Gakki. Definitely pick one up, especially if you already like MIJ Jackson.

I've had two. While I didn't jive with them, they were impressively well built.

XxAlbertoxX

Reaction score
I was listening to Jeff Loomis was he was still in Conquering Dystopia and signed to Schecter using 7 strings in 2016ish.

Can anyone shed some light why he went to Jackson and why he's apparently using 6 strings now? (he's signature guitar)

Mathemagician

Reaction score
He was using Schecter and had signatures for way longer than 2016. He was with them long before Keith Merrow joined. In his words he “just wanted to play other stuff”.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score

That and apparently from what I was told his deal with Schecter was he was "Schecter Only" and Jeff wanted to play other guitars. Jeff is a big collector and also wanted to play "Other" guitars so being endorsed by Jackson he can also use Charvel, Fender, Gretsch, ect….

At least that is what heard, take it for what its worth. He left Schecter pretty abruptly and they were secretly working a USA model with him...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That and apparently from what I was told his deal with Schecter was he was "Schecter Only" and Jeff wanted to play other guitars. Jeff is a big collector and also wanted to play "Other" guitars so being endorsed by Jackson he can also use Charvel, Fender, Gretsch, ect….

At least that is what heard, take it for what its worth. He left Schecter pretty abruptly and they were secretly working a USA model with him...

It's weird that there always needs to be a narrative other than someone wants to be more prosperous at their profession. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make more money doing what you do.

Schecter has the capability and capacity to make any guitar under the Sun.

What they couldn't do, or perhaps chose not to, or maybe weren't even given the opportunity, to pay more.

Jackson, was ready to pay more. They also have the capability to make whatever he wants.

I don't doubt there might have been some wanderlust on Jeff's part. But the endorsement game is all about business.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Hence why I said That is what I was told, not sure it is the 100% Gospel...

My belief is Jackson approached him when Jeff was good with Schecter but Jackson gave him a better offer. So Jeff back out of Schecter and went with Jackson.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score

FWIW those specific brands (Charvel, Fender, Gretsch) and his Jackson are all suspiciously Fender Musical Instrument Corp brands. So if he named those brands specifically, he could simply be toeing the line of his FMIC endorsement.

And i agree with the posters saying that if he switched because he didn't get more money, then good for him! I sure like having more money.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I was happy when I heard Loomis was getting into Jackson and he was playing Kellys. Bad news came in a form of a no sevenstring flat top Kelly at $6k.

Honestly, I don't think there is any reason other than money. Jeff is far from a gear nerd and just plays his ass off with anything he can get. He was almost clueless of the specs of his signatures in the demo videos, and the updated signatures were more about customer requests than Jeff's.

That being said, endorsements are all about the money anyway. Why do you think Periphery has three guitar players with signature guitars and pickups from three different brands? Coincidence? Destiny? :lol:

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Reaction score
Yeah yeah Jeff likes money but he likes Yngwie strats too. I'm glad he moved, despite the fact that I love my Schecter Loomis.

manu80

Reaction score
damn no pics yet....in this world when everything leaks 3 months before official release....Can't believe nothing's out yet....;)

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
damn no pics yet....in this world when everything leaks 3 months before official release....Can't believe nothing's out yet....;)

Jackson is like that. And it is not like they are releasing anything exciting this year (or the year before that).
Although, I'm looking out if they will be releasing another color for the friedman sig. i kinda like that shape. Or a loomis pro.

Latest posts