Keeping allen wrenches nearby for your Floyd Rose equipped guitar

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a quick tip I've been using on any guitar I've had with a Floyd. This allows you to keep your allen wrenches for any adjustments near the guitar at all times. It's a very simple little trick, but can be very useful. It also reqiures only very simple tools. You could also use this for multiple allen wrenches if you'd like. Of course though, this involves drilling a couple holes and taking the allen wrench in and out of the spot may scratch your finish, so just keep that in mind if you'd like to keep your guitar a bit more clean looking.

2cfps08.jpg

What you'll need:
-A couple pickguard screws
-Drill and 1/16" or 3/32" bit (whatever is the right size for your screws)

Thats it! (Besides the guitar and allen wrenches obviously :rolleyes:)

Here's how I go about doing this to make sure the allen wrench stays tight and won't fall out while you're playing.

1. Secure the allen wrench where you'd like it to be, you can use some tape to hold it in place. You can use two screws and the tuners to hold it in place like I did, or use 2 screws on each side of the allen wrench. I've done both with success.

2. Hold the screws against the allen wrench where you want them to be located. I make sure the screw threads are just barely touching the allen wrench so it stays tight. Gently turn the screw a little bit to make a small mark that your drill bit will follow.

3. Drill!

4. Screw the screws in until they're tight enough to hold the allen wrench in without it easily slipping out, but still allowing you to pull it out. I usually tighten the screws as tight as they'll go, and then back off just a little.

It's that simple. Do any of you guys have any simple tricks like these you'd like to share? I'm sure we'd all love to see them!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but I'm personally not a big fan of drilling whenever not essential. I think a sticky magnetic strip could've done the job as well and would only leave removable residue.

I just keep an Ibanez multitool nearby.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score

Holds both wrenches but might pull paint or finish off if you ever remove. They do stick to unfinished/oiled as well.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those wrench holders before. I've just been doing it this way since I had my first Floyd-equipped guitar, when I was too young/broke/impatient to buy some sort of holder. I just figured maybe some people may find this interesting, and maybe it may inspire other ideas. I've also been trying to think of a neat way to hide the allen wrenches somewhere like the rear trem cavity. Maybe a magnetic strip like ItWillDo mentioned? That would be a bit more discreet if you like your guitar to look real clean.

Also, I was thinking we could turn this thread into a discussion of cool ideas, tips, tricks, etc. I suppose my first one is a little dumb when there are really cheap wrench holders available haha.

StarbardGuitar

SS.org Decaf
Reaction score
I'm actually going to create a new thread that is dedicated to anyone who wants to share their own tips and tricks, because I now realize this tip is kinda dumb lol