Kemper Profiling Amp Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
They’ve had a post up on the Kemper Forum looking for German engineers so they’re probably working on something editor related. Of course it’d be nice, but it’s not like it’s hard to edit on the unit. Letter scrolling sucks but that’s really it. If there’s a way to hook up a wireless keyboard I’d be happy.

Scrolling through profiles, cabs, and effects on that tiny screen is doable, but a complete pain in the dick, and gets worse the more of them you have saved. All their competition sees the value of an editor, so I see no excuse for why they can't have one, especially at this price point. I love the Kemper, but the lack of an editor, combined with the way they seem content to just keep all their customers in the dark about whether they'll actually make one is the one thing that really pisses me off. It's just stubborn and bad customer relations.

ah_graylensman

Reaction score
Scrolling through profiles, cabs, and effects on that tiny screen is doable, but a complete pain in the dick, and gets worse the more of them you have saved. All their competition sees the value of an editor, so I see no excuse for why they can't have one, especially at this price point. I love the Kemper, but the lack of an editor, combined with the way they seem content to just keep all their customers in the dark about whether they'll actually make one is the one thing that really pisses me off. It's just stubborn and bad customer relations.

I get the impression that Kemper is a very small, engineer-heavy company. Normally I would consider that a good thing, but this is one time where an engineering business could use some marketing savvy. The lack of an editor, the difficulties of preset import/management, and the lack of depth in effects selection relative to their competitors all seem like they are solveable problems, if the nice folks at Kemper are interested in solving them.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I get the impression that Kemper is a very small, engineer-heavy company. Normally I would consider that a good thing, but this is one time where an engineering business could use some marketing savvy. The lack of an editor, the difficulties of preset import/management, and the lack of depth in effects selection relative to their competitors all seem like they are solveable problems, if the nice folks at Kemper are interested in solving them.
No idea about the makeup of their staff, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, just based on how they seem to have blinders on when it comes to this. There's an apparent mentality where if they don't see a problem or need, there must not be one. At least that's how it comes off.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
New update has selectable sample rates from SPDIF from 44.1-96khz now! Pretty cool (long overdue) new feature.

They also added the ability to run the Direct Out as a stereo out when run with the Monitor Out. This is really cool for anyone using stereo power amps and cabs. I want to try this with my Mesa 2:90 into one (or both) of my 412 cabs; both of which I’ve wired up selectable between series, parallel, and stereo. It’ll be cool to hit the speakers with more power and see if there’s a big difference in tone.

lewis

Reaction score
New update has selectable sample rates from SPDIF from 44.1-96khz now! Pretty cool (long overdue) new feature.

They also added the ability to run the Direct Out as a stereo out when run with the Monitor Out. This is really cool for anyone using stereo power amps and cabs. I want to try this with my Mesa 2:90 into one (or both) of my 412 cabs; both of which I’ve wired up selectable between series, parallel, and stereo. It’ll be cool to hit the speakers with more power and see if there’s a big difference in tone.
holy shit what!?

I neeeeeed to buy another 4x12 and do this ASAP with my Kemper.
So we can run out the direct out and monitor out, into each side of a rack poweramp now.?

I wonder if we will ever get the option to run a different profile out of each side?. Imagine.
2 different amps blended like that.

jerm

Reaction score
wow this update is awesome. being able to use SPDIF in 48khz is pretty awesome for projects that were recorded in 48khz!

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
holy shit what!?

I neeeeeed to buy another 4x12 and do this ASAP with my Kemper.
So we can run out the direct out and monitor out, into each side of a rack poweramp now.?

I wonder if we will ever get the option to run a different profile out of each side?. Imagine.
2 different amps blended like that.
Yes each side of a stereo power amp can be powered without cab sims now

Not sure if they’ll do two profiles; but it would be pretty cool if they did. I don’t know how much I’d actually use it but options are great.

I really want to have a parametric eq in the cab section. They could get rid of the weird cab parameters that seem to really screw up the sound in a hurry; and just let us eq it to make them work better.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Brand new profile pack from Josh Middleton. Follow up to the first bundle he released.
I'm more impressed with the demo of this second pack than the first pack even. There's also more profiles in this one (albeit some are bass profiles he made). Same price of £39.99 as the first pack.

I don't play my Kemper a whole lot but his first pack is one of my favorites. I miiiight be getting this.

lewis

Reaction score
Brand new profile pack from Josh Middleton. Follow up to the first bundle he released.
I'm more impressed with the demo of this second pack than the first pack even. There's also more profiles in this one (albeit some are bass profiles he made). Same price of £39.99 as the first pack.

I don't play my Kemper a whole lot but his first pack is one of my favorites. I miiiight be getting this.

completely agree!

Im going to buy this next month hands down.
With the intention of touring with sounds from this new bundle.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

I'd also like to add that for those of you who have tried these and complained or will buy these and possibly complain that the sound is too "choked", disable the EQs. With the EQs on it's very mix-ready and can feel weird to play with at first, if that's the case, before you write them off, try disabling those and see if it's more like what you would expect. These are great profiles with or without the EQs on.

lewis

Reaction score
I'd also like to add that for those of you who have tried these and complained or will buy these and possibly complain that the sound is too "choked", disable the EQs. With the EQs on it's very mix-ready and can feel weird to play with at first, if that's the case, before you write them off, try disabling those and see if it's more like what you would expect. These are great profiles with or without the EQs on.
Agree with this.

I prefer the EQ blocks disabled for live/band practice when Im running into a real cabinet but on to be "mix ready" when recording.

Im glad his awesome bass sounds are included this time around.

ReampZone

Reaction score
31124453_1704042269653391_1789383753194274816_o.jpg

currently profiling this .

lewis

Reaction score
Would just like to add that in the studio this past weekend we had my Kemper, my band mates Axe II and an HD Pro all in a tower.

And the Axe II sounded so much better than anything else, that got used for tracking and then re-amping afterwards.

It shocked and slightly disappointed me. Im glad I own a kemper and it does seem great for live, but I always thought for recording it would also be sweet but the Axe II just blew it away. Was not even close tbh.

Bummer

DudeManBrother

Reaction score
Would just like to add that in the studio this past weekend we had my Kemper, my band mates Axe II and an HD Pro all in a tower.

And the Axe II sounded so much better than anything else, that got used for tracking and then re-amping afterwards.

It shocked and slightly disappointed me. Im glad I own a kemper and it does seem great for live, but I always thought for recording it would also be sweet but the Axe II just blew it away. Was not even close tbh.

Bummer
I think the Axe is a great piece of gear too; but you’re comparing other people’s profiles to a modeler.
The only way to appreciate what the Kemper was designed to do: is to mic up a cab with an actual amp, dial it in for the recording session; and profile the setup. If you don’t have real amps then I’d probably think the Axe would really excel. There’s always a chance that you could find another’s profile setup well enough to use for a recording session, but the Axe would probably find it more quickly.

lewis

Reaction score
I think the Axe is a great piece of gear too; but you’re comparing other people’s profiles to a modeler.
The only way to appreciate what the Kemper was designed to do: is to mic up a cab with an actual amp, dial it in for the recording session; and profile the setup. If you don’t have real amps then I’d probably think the Axe would really excel. There’s always a chance that you could find another’s profile setup well enough to use for a recording session, but the Axe would probably find it more quickly.
that is spot on exactly the situation.

the upside is i can profile his axe haha