Kiesel Plugin (Not Amps)

• Thread starter Zado
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe it is just me because I am not a fan of amp modeling plugins, but they dont seem very exciting to me. Do people get excited over plugins any more?

For that matter, does anyone really even use amp modeling plugins for a reason other than the fact they are cheaper than buying actual hardware?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe it is just me because I am not a fan of amp modeling plugins, but they dont seem very exciting to me. Do people get excited over plugins any more?

For that matter, does anyone really even use amp modeling plugins for a reason other than the fact they are cheaper than buying actual hardware?
A lot more space efficient for me, since I live in a relatively small apartment.

But the cost is definitely the main reason. I've been playing guitar for well over 20 years now, but I never had the privilege of experimenting with a lot of different gear, particularly amps, and especially cost-prohibitive tube amps that were rarely available in most place I've lived. I never really knew very well what was out there outside of what other people had to say and whatever YouTube videos were put there. Once I realized that plugins were a thing some 4-5 years ago and that they were so accessible, I bought a buttload of them to check out what different amps sound like, more or less.

By now I have a MUCH better idea of what I like, and am already thinking of where to make the investment for a real amp and how/where I'd keep it at home. Not much excitement for new plugins on my end, since I feel I've tried so many. I just don't like having everything inside my laptop, and I want a physical, screen-less thing I can fiddle with. I only ever had the one amp I could call my own, but I did spend hours and hours tweaking the thing back in the day. I miss that.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I play at home and only record. Recording is way easier with a plugin. Not really sure what practical advantage there is in owning a real amp for me. When I used to live in my parents' basement in the boonies, it was fun to crank an amp. But now I live in the city in an apartment, and don't want guitar gear to be part of my decor. Every time I move, too, I think, "I should really own less shit" and owning an amp would make that worse lol. I got a lot of reasons to not own an amp 😄

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
How'd you come up with that shit?
Cuz if you're not able to play big tube amps and at least a 4x12 minimum at high volumes you're not living your life correctly and I'm toxic so I will judge people for it 😈

Big amp+big cab+big volume=big tone
Big tone=big chug and big riff

It's basic science really lol

:p

Last edited:

Willtato

Reaction score
I really like the McRocklin suite. It has that funny scooped aspect to the sound that reminds me of boss modelling, and I feel it lends itself well to the heavier reverb-delay sort of stuff. I like to think the infamous steel panther dist pedal also sounds the way it does for this reason.

I won't comment on the Kiesel suite as I have 0 interest in it.

While I do like Thomas' playing, and he seems like a nice person in vids, I didn't realisehis and Kiesel's relationship progressed this far. 🤣🤣

Shask

Reaction score
A lot more space efficient for me, since I live in a relatively small apartment.

But the cost is definitely the main reason. I've been playing guitar for well over 20 years now, but I never had the privilege of experimenting with a lot of different gear, particularly amps, and especially cost-prohibitive tube amps that were rarely available in most place I've lived. I never really knew very well what was out there outside of what other people had to say and whatever YouTube videos were put there. Once I realized that plugins were a thing some 4-5 years ago and that they were so accessible, I bought a buttload of them to check out what different amps sound like, more or less.

By now I have a MUCH better idea of what I like, and am already thinking of where to make the investment for a real amp and how/where I'd keep it at home. Not much excitement for new plugins on my end, since I feel I've tried so many. I just don't like having everything inside my laptop, and I want a physical, screen-less thing I can fiddle with. I only ever had the one amp I could call my own, but I did spend hours and hours tweaking the thing back in the day. I miss that.
Yeah, I could see space being a thing. Everywhere I have lived in my adult life, I always had a guitar room. I always had room for it, but I definitely always think about cutting back. I am actually very minimalist, except for guitar gear, lol. All the stuff in my house added together probably equals the guitar gear. I always think about cutting back, but selling stuff is such a PITA these days.

Maybe it is because I grew up before they existed, but I just dont find it fun to mess with plugins. I was trying the first amp sim VSTs back in like 2001 or something, so I have seen them all. Never liked the sound or feel of them. Even hardware back in the day, like I used an ADA Microcab, sounded and felt much better.

Shask

Reaction score
I play at home and only record. Recording is way easier with a plugin. Not really sure what practical advantage there is in owning a real amp for me. When I used to live in my parents' basement in the boonies, it was fun to crank an amp. But now I live in the city in an apartment, and don't want guitar gear to be part of my decor. Every time I move, too, I think, "I should really own less shit" and owning an amp would make that worse lol. I got a lot of reasons to not own an amp 😄
Even for recording, I think it is more fun to use a Fractal, or even a tube amp through a reactive load box. Using a plugin can be about as much fun as editing an Excel spreadsheet, lol.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I could see space being a thing. Everywhere I have lived in my adult life, I always had a guitar room. I always had room for it, but I definitely always think about cutting back. I am actually very minimalist, except for guitar gear, lol. All the stuff in my house added together probably equals the guitar gear. I always think about cutting back, but selling stuff is such a PITA these days.

Maybe it is because I grew up before they existed, but I just dont find it fun to mess with plugins. I was trying the first amp sim VSTs back in like 2001 or something, so I have seen them all. Never liked the sound or feel of them. Even hardware back in the day, like I used an ADA Microcab, sounded and felt much better.
They should make plugins where the guitar is just software too, so I can live in a room that is as surgically decluttered as humanly possible....! :ugh:

I have my full setup in the living room nowadays. I have space in there, but it's still the living room :lol: and my partner and I like to keep a pretty minimalistic living space. Thankfully she plays guitar too, so she very much appreciates the couple I have up on the walls as decor. But finding space even for just a new guitar is a challenge.

Reaction score
Cuz if you're not able to play big tube amps and at least a 4x12 minimum at high volumes you're not living your life correctly and I'm toxic so I will judge people for it 😈

Big amp+big cab+big volume=big tone
Big tone=big chug and big riff

It's basic science really lol

:p
You're lucky I like you, lol. Fine, I'll allow it. It DOES make sense.

Shask

Reaction score
They should make plugins where the guitar is just software too, so I can live in a room that is as surgically decluttered as humanly possible....! :ugh:

I have my full setup in the living room nowadays. I have space in there, but it's still the living room :lol: and my partner and I like to keep a pretty minimalistic living space. Thankfully she plays guitar too, so she very much appreciates the couple I have up on the walls as decor. But finding space even for just a new guitar is a challenge.
Just keep another room dedicated to being a cluttered guitar mess. Shut the door and ignore it when you want minimal living space, lol.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Even for recording, I think it is more fun to use a Fractal, or even a tube amp through a reactive load box. Using a plugin can be about as much fun as editing an Excel spreadsheet, lol.
Definitely use what inspires you, I think that's super important. On other parts of the internet, there are often discussions about soft synths vs actual hardware and the feel/creative flow of them being just as important as the sonic qualities.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Definitely use what inspires you, I think that's super important. On other parts of the internet, there are often discussions about soft synths vs actual hardware and the feel/creative flow of them being just as important as the sonic qualities.
100% agree. I mean, I write songs differently from one guitar to the other - what we use to compose has just as much of an impact as anything else.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Just keep another room dedicated to being a cluttered guitar mess. Shut the door and ignore it when you want minimal living space, lol.
Haha yeah, that's already decided. Whenever we move next we're upgrading to a place with at least one extra room so I can keep all my guitar stuff and work bench in there. Worth it even if it means I have to restrict my guitar budget a little.

....you joke, but

Is this how bassists feel with all those bass plugins around? :erk:

Latest posts