Kiesel --- Never Again!

• Thread starter MetalHead40
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
Man, that $250 upcharge for a 3-piece roasted/plain maple neck is spendy. I haven't shopped or even browsed the custom/semi custom guitar market in ages, so I have no gauge on what the rate is for upgraded woods in today's market.

Last year I bought enough roasted maple to make about 8 necks for around $100 total. I'd argue that a one piece neck would cost more because 8/4 lumber (for a one-piece neck) cost more per board foot than 4/4 that would be laminated to make a 3-piece. The labor to joint, plane and glue a 3-piece blank is negligible in a facility like Kiesel's.

I know, I know, it's an add-on they can charge to improve margins. Just a rant. Continue on haha

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, how about no. Wouldn't have learned about some of their shit if it's all just people blindly deepthroating Jeff's guitars like in other communities.

My idea was , there’s already over 200+ pages about it . I didn’t mean delete it , just for reference .

Also , I don’t own any Kiesels 🧐

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's no fucking way I'm reading 219 pages to see if anyone's asked this, but surely with OP's guitar, all it needs is an angled shim to point the neck down towards the bridge a bit? Stewmac makes some angled shims to add 1/4º to a neck. I stuck one in my squier and it's a fuckin weapon now, although I had the opposite problem - everything was too close to the body and flat.

That's not to say that Kiesel shouldn't have picked up on it in QC, but if the guitar is flawless otherwise, chuck a shim in there and enjoy it!

spudmunkey

Reaction score
There's no fucking way I'm reading 219 pages to see if anyone's asked this, but surely with OP's guitar, all it needs is an angled shim to point the neck down towards the bridge a bit? Stewmac makes some angled shims to add 1/4º to a neck. I stuck one in my squier and it's a fuckin weapon now, although I had the opposite problem - everything was too close to the body and flat.

That's not to say that Kiesel shouldn't have picked up on it in QC, but if the guitar is flawless otherwise, chuck a shim in there and enjoy it!
Not sure what the final resolution was there, but they've since re-designed the neck pocket, and I haven't seen anyone post a similar issue in years. Additionally, Hipshot's redesigned their saddles, and one of the changes is slightly more rounded corners, which are more comfortable since even the "perfect" as-designed install has them sticking up a little bit above the side walls of the bridge.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
As a non-American, Jeff generally does not come across very well in his videos.
Yeah, as someone who grew up living in 4 different countries, none of them the US, his constant parroting of "American made" is jarring and kinda cringe. It's cool that you support your local economy, but like... if I live in Europe and I am buying a guitar that is made elsewhere, I could care less that it came from the US, Canada, or Indonesia, as long as it plays well. (Which they seemingly do.) Then again, there's a lot of commentary there that is totally irrelevant to this thread :lol: so I'll leave it at that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, as someone who grew up living in 4 different countries, none of them the US, his constant parroting of "American made" is jarring and kinda cringe. It's cool that you support your local economy, but like... if I live in Europe and I am buying a guitar that is made elsewhere, I could care less that it came from the US, Canada, or Indonesia, as long as it plays well. (Which they seemingly do.) Then again, there's a lot of commentary there that is totally irrelevant to this thread :lol: so I'll leave it at that.
That’s an interesting point. Here, in the US, Made in America can mean three things. 1) it’s high quality, 2) it’s patriotic to buy it, because it was made here, 3) it’s safe to buy because we’re not exploiting third country labor. Obviously #3 carries overseas, but #2 doesn’t, and #1 is product dependent. But I don’t think most brands think about this, because we Americans tend to view America as the world. I mean, we’re one of 35 countries in the Americas, but we have the balls/myopia to call ourselves “America.” :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
That’s an interesting point. Here, in the US, Made in America can mean three things. 1) it’s high quality, 2) it’s patriotic to buy it, because it was made here, 3) it’s safe to buy because we’re not exploiting third country labor. Obviously #3 carries overseas, but #2 doesn’t, and #1 is product dependent. But I don’t think most brands think about this, because we Americans tend to view America as the world. I mean, we’re one of 35 countries in the Americas, but we have the balls/myopia to call ourselves “America.” :lol:
Yeah I fully agree with #3.

#1 is an interesting one but, in my head, it is largely a product of #3. A fairer wage doesn't just mean more employee motivation to do a good job, but it means that, as a company, there is a higher emphasis on quality rather than volume, probably to justify having to charge the consumer for said higher wages. A real business analyst can probably produce a much more detailed, nuanced, and eloquent reasoning than what I just gave :lol: but it makes sense to me. Then again, as far as guitars are concerned, we have been seeing some real good work come out of factories abroad, so this point seems to be getting more irrelevant as time goes on.

Sadly though, most of the time I hear "made in America" I just hear #2 :lol: I guess that's a legitimate motivator for a company to produce quality gear? But I find it sends a really weird and kinda icky subliminal message. I have lived in too many places to be able to process American patriotism the same way an American does. The US has a ginormous population with very significant purchasing power, so it makes total sense to want to cater to that market. It's a great marketing ploy, but it's really just geared to US citizens or foreigners infatuated with American culture. (Of which there are a lot, granted.) It also reinforces local spending, which is arguably a good thing, but that weird message I spoke of creates a very strong "us vs them" mentality.

And yeah the whole "America" thing always makes me chuckle, but it's so ingrained in the language and in people's psyches (my own included) that it's easy for me to ignore unless I purposely think about it. It works much better in English, too. There's a reason in Latin America we just say "gringo" :lol: which admittedly isn't a great term either. Our Spanish-speaking, European counterparts seem to care much less, to the point that "gringo" isn't part of their vocabulary, and just say "Americano" or "estadounidense", the latter being the official demonym for someone from the US. The Royal Spanish Academy (the most official body we have that regulates and standardizes the Spanish language worldwide) actually discourages the use of the term "American" to refer to someone from the US.

ANYWAYS I can talk about this for long. My apologies for the tangent, I just find it an interesting topic.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Godin and (formerly) Larivee do the same stuff with the MADE IN CANADA stuff.
I've never actually paid attention to their marketing, but it doesn't surprise me. Canada isn't all that different to the US, as much as many people may think it is. It's like a slightly toned down version of it.

On another note, I don't think I've ever played a Larrivee, but Godin are fantastic guitars, even if they aren't fully my style. It's kinda cool that I get to see so many of them everywhere I go to here. If I lived near Escondido you bet I'd visit the Kiesel showroom often, even if I'd rather not rub shoulders with Jeff too much.

FrznTek

Reaction score
As a non-American, Jeff generally does not come across very well in his videos.
As an American, he comes off like a scummy used car salesman. IMO of course.
A fairer wage doesn't just mean more employee motivation to do a good job, but it means that, as a company, there is a higher emphasis on quality rather than volume, probably to justify having to charge the consumer for said higher wages.
Can you tell that to Gibson?

soliloquy

Reaction score

Preface: not sure why i continue lingering with Carvin/Kiesel anymore, but here I am.

I do see what you're saying, and sort of agree with it. However, in Canada, and other parts of the world that I've explored, I see a very different mentality regarding this.

in efforts to being more ethical in every aspect of business, I see slogans similar to "we ensure (or we pride ourselves on) our product is ethically sourced, environmentally safe, and ensure all parties involved in making our products are ethically funded and treated". wordings can change, but the message is the same, that 'we stand behind our products, and by our fellow humans across the planet, and we take pride in taking care of the environment'.

no where does it indicate one nation being better than the other, or selling patriotism (at least in my experience so far).

As such, i think Jeff rubs more people wrong for trying to sell something that the bigger public either doesn't care for, or is turned off by (thats why i stopped dealing with Carvin. And once Kiesel changed names, I backed off fully).

just my opinion, but if Jeff is to soften his choice of words (If I'm not mistaken, I believe Taylor Guitars, who is neighbors to Kiesel, does a GREAT job at this. Very transparent and focuses on the product, rather than the 'made in USA' badge), then Kiesel may do better in business.

Dean guitars was sort of guilty of this as well. Rather than selling the product, at times, they were more focused on 'only buy USA!' while their affordable guitars were made in Chez; Korea, China; Indonesia.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I've never actually paid attention to their marketing, but it doesn't surprise me. Canada isn't all that different to the US, as much as many people may think it is. It's like a slightly toned down version of it.

On another note, I don't think I've ever played a Larrivee, but Godin are fantastic guitars, even if they aren't fully my style. It's kinda cool that I get to see so many of them everywhere I go to here. If I lived near Escondido you bet I'd visit the Kiesel showroom often, even if I'd rather not rub shoulders with Jeff too much.
I think Godin et al, is a bit different than Kiesel here. In my experience, they aren't selling 'Canada' as a symbol of pride, but rather fair wages/ethically sourced material. i think Prestige Guitars in BC are doing the same thing.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Preface: not sure why i continue lingering with Carvin/Kiesel anymore, but here I am.

I do see what you're saying, and sort of agree with it. However, in Canada, and other parts of the world that I've explored, I see a very different mentality regarding this.

in efforts to being more ethical in every aspect of business, I see slogans similar to "we ensure (or we pride ourselves on) our product is ethically sourced, environmentally safe, and ensure all parties involved in making our products are ethically funded and treated". wordings can change, but the message is the same, that 'we stand behind our products, and by our fellow humans across the planet, and we take pride in taking care of the environment'.

no where does it indicate one nation being better than the other, or selling patriotism (at least in my experience so far).

As such, i think Jeff rubs more people wrong for trying to sell something that the bigger public either doesn't care for, or is turned off by (thats why i stopped dealing with Carvin. And once Kiesel changed names, I backed off fully).

just my opinion, but if Jeff is to soften his choice of words (If I'm not mistaken, I believe Taylor Guitars, who is neighbors to Kiesel, does a GREAT job at this. Very transparent and focuses on the product, rather than the 'made in USA' badge), then Kiesel may do better in business.

Dean guitars was sort of guilty of this as well. Rather than selling the product, at times, they were more focused on 'only buy USA!' while their affordable guitars were made in Chez; Korea, China; Indonesia.
Every guitar company promotes the home base on their instruments - including Canadian companies, Japanese companies, Australian companies, Swedish companies, etc etc etc. Of all the things that you can piss on Jeff's leg about, this is the strangest issue to take up. Godin slaps a friggin maple leaf on all the Canadian-made listings on their site. Jingoism sells on both sides of every border.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having pride in your operation, and to an extent where that happens to be. :2c:

Jeff is just a dipshit, so it's easy to not like whatever he's saying, which is why it's not very smart to be the face of a company and also a dipshit.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Hipshot's redesigned their saddles, and one of the changes is slightly more rounded corners, which are more comfortable since even the "perfect" as-designed install has them sticking up a little bit above the side walls of the bridge.
Yes, and I think lot of people doesn't know.

The moment I noticed ordered a new bridge for my Soloist. A lot more comfortable indeed. It's not that much of a problem in some guitars, but in mine it was really annoying when palm muting.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think Godin et al, is a bit different than Kiesel here. In my experience, they aren't selling 'Canada' as a symbol of pride, but rather fair wages/ethically sourced material. i think Prestige Guitars in BC are doing the same thing.
Prestige and Godin make killer guitars . I’ve played a few Godin’s and they are insane for the price . I’ve also only heard people absolutely rave about Prestige as well , they’re about a 30 minute drive from me , I plan on seeing if I can get a shop tour eventually . I see them played a bunch locally , they got a good thing going . Their custom shop stuff is insane .

Latest posts