Lace X-bar or Death bar in bridge??

• Thread starter Gmork
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah so you can't choose between inner or outer coils..you can only get one split sound. I'm waiting for Lace to reply.
Correct, you aren't truly splitting coils, you're changing the EQ. Also, you can't run the pick-up in series. The pick-ups are different; from an electronics point of view, they behave more like current sources than voltage sources.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

luca9583

Reaction score
Correct, you aren't truly splitting coils, you're changing the EQ. Also, you can't run the pick-up in series. The pick-ups are different; from an electronics point of view, they behave more like current sources than voltage sources.

Ok got it. That's probably quite a cool thing though in that the strings are still being picked up from the same parts of the pickup in split mode (vs either coil in other pickup brands), but with (i'm guessing) more attack.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, since the output of the pickup runs through a transformer, if you try to wire two different pickups in series, the signal from the upstream pickup will run through both transformers, and the signal from the downstream pickup will run through one transformer, leading to significantly different voltages.

I'm not exactly sure how coil splitting these works, except to say that I'm certain it's not actually splitting the sensing coil by half - it's some sort of thing with the output transformer, maybe a tap within that... But if you "split mode" two coils and then try them in series, you'll have the same double transformer problem. But you can very easily do this in parallel and it ought to work without any trouble.