Laney 2600 Watt FRFR

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's about the right tool for the job, the reason 4x12s are going away is because there are more convenient options that do better in the context of different sized venues. If you are playing ones that warrant 4x12s, then by all means, but you would be insane to play one in your bedroom. Hearing damage isn't the masculinity you should want to uphold.

I'm curious if you've played a 4x12 and compared it to other options? I tend to use 4x12s because from trying them vs 1x12s, 2x12s, and a couple different FRFR options they just flat out sound better regardless of how loud you're playing.

torchlord

Reaction score
This is $1800 MAP homeslice.

This basically is one of those shitty cheapo FRFR cabs, only they're asking $1800 and hoping you're too dumb to know the difference between peak and continuous wattage or frequency response and are amazed by IR loaders in 2024. :lol:
If I recall correctly it should still be about 650 watts continuous approximately, which should be more than enough to blow your brains out.

Meeotch

Reaction score
I'm curious if you've played a 4x12 and compared it to other options? I tend to use 4x12s because from trying them vs 1x12s, 2x12s, and a couple different FRFR options they just flat out sound better regardless of how loud you're playing.
Exactly. Regardless of volume, I've still never met a 1x12 or 2x12 that I would prefer over a 4x12. There are certainly arguments to be made about beaminess (ie a vertical 2x12 may have more ideal projection) but if you have the luxury of standing in a 4x12's sweet spot, nothing beats it except adding more 4x12's :)

My take on this product is that it's aimed at the player who wants the ultimate marriage of playing through IR's and cab in the room experience. Claiming it's worse or better than the current market offerings is just speculation at this point. Sure you can argue why not just use a traditional 4x12, but the other side of the coin is that you are then tied to that specific speaker/cab tone. I'll reserve judgement until I've either played one or it's been reviewed by legit players - but on paper it has potential, albeit pricey. The reality is that it will likely be a compromise and it will be up to the individual player to decide how much of the traditional experience they are willing to give up to gain the luxury of switching IR's through a 4x12 FRFR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Sorry

Like even if you want the big-ass deadweight that is a 4x12 because you're an old man boomer named @Deadpool_25 that yells at clouds and wants to spite young people because convenience sucks...
...why not just get a 4x12 + power amp with your modeler? lol.
giphy.gif

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I recall correctly it should still be about 650 watts continuous approximately, which should be more than enough to blow your brains out.

Then why be deceptive?

Yeah, it's probably going to have plenty of headroom for the context it's meant for, but for the price, weight, and size it's still very underwhelming.

It's just another example of fairly middle of the road PA equipment repackaged for guitarists at a big premium.

I guess what bothers me the most is that this had potential but again, middling specs paired with deceptive marketing is just "meh."

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Their target consumer base is obviously metal bands, fans of modellers, playing in venues too small to have their own PA with people requiring very loud volumes.

So it's basically Laney thinking ahead and planning for retirement homes for djent fans.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score

Yes, just not a fan in small spaces.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Put a grill on an empty box and stuff 2 headrush FRFR-112's in there. 4000 (!) watts, and enough cash left over to buy a new guitar...