Limp Bizkit — "Gold Cobra" Album Review 5 out of 5 stars

• Thread starter MYGFH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
You guys didnt like their last EP the unquestionable truth part 1? I was hoping that was the direction they would be headed on this album but judging from those two songs it doesnt appear so.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ I liked it sort of but it definitely didn't sound like LB... also, Fred Durst rapping about some contrived political topics = :noway:

Gitte

Reaction score
i feel like I'm back in the 90ies :) wes again killed it!!

wesborland.jpg

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
Just read Wes Borland's twitter and there's a post by an online music site called antiquiet linked to him and it turns out that the site gave GC a really bad review and made a few comments which were more about Fred than the album itself.
So Wes messaged the site about it and the reviewer replied back and they had a bit of a discussion via email it's actually a pretty good conversation which covers quite a bit of ground and there's a transcript of it on this page. Limp Bizkit: Interview (June, 2011) @ Antiquiet

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ That is a great read, and exactly what I was trying to say on the previous page. The band is the band, no matter how much you hate a certain part of that mix, they are all crucial to the sound. Without Fred, it is not Limp Bizkit just like it wasn't LB without Wes.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
^ That is a great read, and exactly what I was trying to say on the previous page. The band is the band, no matter how much you hate a certain part of that mix, they are all crucial to the sound. Without Fred, it is not Limp Bizkit just like it wasn't LB without Wes.

Just read the conversation, fascinating read. But yeah Wes is basically saying the band is all 5 of them, you take one of those elements away and they are no longer LB. Fred is the Marmite singer of Metal, you either love LB because he is in the band or you hate him there is no in-between.

Only thing was with the whole Woodstock thing, what did that have to do with his opinions and review? Why bring that up? As Wes said they became the poster boy's of blame for what happened because of one song and most the bad sh1t happened the day AFTER their set?!?! Same sh1t as Drowning Pool being "made" to apologise to the families of the Arizona shooting's because the fcuk nugget who killed them all liked their song Bodies?!?!? Think bringing that up to justify his reasons for the review kinda calls in to question his integrity as a former "fan" giving an honest review....

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Just read Wes Borland's twitter and there's a post by an online music site called antiquiet linked to him and it turns out that the site gave GC a really bad review and made a few comments which were more about Fred than the album itself.
So Wes messaged the site about it and the reviewer replied back and they had a bit of a discussion via email it's actually a pretty good conversation which covers quite a bit of ground and there's a transcript of it on this page. Limp Bizkit: Interview (June, 2011) @ Antiquiet

Great read, Borland is obviously the brains of the operation so it's pretty enthralling to read how he ended up pairing with Fred Durst again.

I have to disagree with him though, I think he's one of the most uncharasmatic frontmen going.

Wes Borland said:
Heavy music should be made as an expression of violence in order to keep the maker and the listener from going on psychopathic killing sprees. I’ve found through talking to other people over the years, that as humans, many of us need to express a repressed hunter-gather primitive side that is no longer accepted in civilized modern society. Some people do it through video games, some love horror and violent movies, some people play paintball, whatever. I have a part of me that needs to go to war, but I’m not a soldier. I have a need to punish myself and flip out, but I don’t really want to cause permanent damage to my body or anyone else’s.

Someone give this man a medal.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
The music on this new record could be compared to 3DBY, but certainly not the vocals. Where is the raw intensity Fred had on that album? Where are the screams? That may seem shallow, but that was definitely part of what I dug about that record. Raw guitars, raw vox.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
That was definitely a paid album review. Although there may be rare occasions that albums get perfect reviews, but this is just screaming bullshit. This doesn't even read like an actual review, it sounds like a 16 year old promoting for the band to his friends.

My personal favorite line: "'I don't give a fuck what none of ya'll people think'. That's the Bizkit we all love and the world needs: Plus he drops a line about Korn tying the song into the old days". The world does not, and will never, NEED LB. EVER. :lol:

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
I have to disagree with him though, I think he's one of the most uncharasmatic frontmen going.

as someone who isnt an LB fan, but someone who has seen LB perform and was initially a hater on Fred, I will say he does an incredible job on that stage. He shares the spotlight, he controls the crowd and he puts in 110%.

I do not like their band, but I appreciate hard work and ability and as much as it pains me to say this. Fred definitely has it.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
The music on this new record could be compared to 3DBY, but certainly not the vocals. Where is the raw intensity Fred had on that album? Where are the screams? That may seem shallow, but that was definitely part of what I dug about that record. Raw guitars, raw vox.

It may not be as raw as 3DBY, but listening to this album in its entirety, Fred sounds really, REALLY pissed off throughout the entire thing. It's not as loose as the older LB albums but damn there's some satisfying rage to be had.

Great read, Borland is obviously the brains of the operation so it's pretty enthralling to read how he ended up pairing with Fred Durst again.

Where Fred shines is on stage. The lyrics and self obsessed attitude are all a part of LB and without that stage presence hyping everyone up he does just seem like a tosspot whiteboy rapper with too much ego and no substance or appreciation for the great musicians around him, but it is for the most part simply not right.

Truth be told though, the thing that makes LB special for me is one of the things Wes mentions in that set of emails: everyone just seems free to do what they want in he band and there is amazing chemistry to them that just isn't found in a lot of bands. Sure, you may not like them (read: despise them) but you've got to admit they just work in some bizarre way. Hell, I feel like the music on this album as a whole even puts the BLB album to shame.

Last edited:

fps

Kit
Reaction score
That exchange between Wes and the reviewer was great. I think Wes, honestly, set him straight a fair bit, and the reviewer was so surprised to have been noticed that he finally remembered that media, even on the internet, have a responsibility to display nuance and fine judgment in their words. So Wes brought the whole thing way up by directly engaging, which is great to see from a massive artist.

I think a lot of people are in on the Limp Bizkit joke now, in the best possible way. If I went to see them I would lose my mind.

burnsfs

C.L.I.T. Master
Reaction score
I know I'm buying! wes should do both projects his amazing and he totally completes LP!

SD83

Reaction score
I just took some time & listened to the entire preview... some weak songs, but some of the others sound awesome...

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The whole thing just sounds dated really, like it belongs in THAT era of music (the late 90s/early 00s), and just doesn't belong in today's era at all.
I just can't get past that whole dated aspect about the new record at all

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
as someone who isnt an LB fan, but someone who has seen LB perform and was initially a hater on Fred, I will say he does an incredible job on that stage. He shares the spotlight, he controls the crowd and he puts in 110%.

I do not like their band, but I appreciate hard work and ability and as much as it pains me to say this. Fred definitely has it.

Where Fred shines is on stage. The lyrics and self obsessed attitude are all a part of LB and without that stage presence hyping everyone up he does just seem like a tosspot whiteboy rapper with too much ego and no substance or appreciation for the great musicians around him, but it is for the most part simply not right.

Not when I saw them :shrug:

When I saw them he was THE MOST uncharasmatic frontman I had ever seen, absolutely zero stage presence, barely spoke to the crowd. I mean, glaring-you-in-the-face-obvious zero stage presence.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that he was having an "off" day, but damn, I was seriously pissed off after watching their entire set.

Latest posts