Line 6 Catalyst: New line of combo amps based on Helix modeling

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I boosted mids, number one.

And I played on the neck pickup. So the goal was to get a lead tone I liked and rhythm be damned, lol.

It was not good by today’s anyone with tube amp standards. But boy howdy I didn’t care back then.

Lemme just play the master of puppets solo 57 times.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Uhhh....

View attachment 103434

Well, I'm not even remotely in the market for it, but a lightweight lunchbox amp with HX Stomp guts and solid state power amp would be pretty cool. I don't think there's anything similar on the market (maybe Kemper Power Head, but it's way too expensive, and it's a profiler, and it's not exactly in a lunchbox format).

Something like this:

View attachment 103435
Pretty much exactly what I was saying, doesn't need to be tube or anything, but a powered helix would be the tits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Pretty much exactly what I was saying, doesn't need to be tube or anything, but a powered helix would be the tits.
I don't see how this is better than just putting a PS170 and a Stomp on a small board on top of your cab and using a MIDI controller. Especially if you want it to somehow cost less than those things combined. Without some feature that somehow integrates the power amp in some way (faux sag/topology changes with patches or something) it seems unnecessary, and the added integration of a "controllable" power amp would most likely make it more expensive than the separate components.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I don't see how this is better than just putting a PS170 and a Stomp on a small board on top of your cab and using a MIDI controller. Especially if you want it to somehow cost less than those things combined. Without some feature that somehow integrates the power amp in some way (faux sag/topology changes with patches or something) it seems unnecessary, and the added integration of a "controllable" power amp would most likely make it more expensive than the separate components.
Because all I'd need to grab and cable up is my guitar to front of the combo? Like I said, 1x12 combo with a power amp and guts of helix on top. 3 button footswitch and I'd be set.

Like I said before, single cabinet, guys of hx stomp, ss power amp, single speaker. 899, I would BUY that, not just know it exists. Sure I have all that stuff now, but to have it in one enclosure away from my feet and spills and stage divers, that'd be pretty wantable, no? I'm not saying solutions for this aren't easy, but they do with no argument take multiple purchases, have to take multiple power supplies, set up, etc.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because all I'd need to grab and cable up is my guitar to front of the combo? Like I said, 1x12 combo with a power amp and guts of helix on top. 3 button footswitch and I'd be set.

Like I said before, single cabinet, guys of hx stomp, ss power amp, single speaker. 899, I would BUY that, not just know it exists. Sure I have all that stuff now, but to have it in one enclosure away from my feet and spills and stage divers, that'd be pretty wantable, no? I'm not saying solutions for this aren't easy, but they do with no argument take multiple purchases, have to take multiple power supplies, set up, etc.

What if I told you that could put all that in one enclosure.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought you were asking for an HX Mini head.

No way. I’m team rack.

The thought of 2 or more separate things that could go break or be obsoleted at different times gives me hives.

Unless it’s like 150 dollars. I’ll buy any crap for 150 dollars.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I thought you were asking for an HX Mini head.
That was nickgray, I just think that'd be cool, my original idea was a combo form.

And @IwantTacos of course you can have it all in one enclosure, I'm working on building something similar soon. But remember not everyone is very handy and also, who has the time? Not many. Just saying, it's not a stupid idea to have something like that, and I think they'd sell. Just my two cents.

Imagine all of it in one box with one single power supply....

Autarch

Reaction score
I got one of these, it arrived today. It is the noisiest amp I've ever had, totally unusable on the hi gain channel. I've owned around 20 amps mostly hi gain, nothing ever like this one.

Is there something wrong with it?

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I got one of these, it arrived today. It is the noisiest amp I've ever had, totally unusable on the hi gain channel. I've owned around 20 amps mostly hi gain, nothing ever like this one.

Is there something wrong with it?
Probably. That's really not normal for any amp. Are all of the channels noisy? Also, not that I'm implying you haven't tried the obvious, but have you made sure you engaged the noise gate?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
In 2022 no one is making a (digital) super noisy high gain channel on purpose. That sounds like an amp issue for sure - hopefully.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Has anyone meanwhile more experience with the Catalyst? I've been playing on my Computer the past couple of years but I'm thinking about getting a practice amp again and I'm torn between this, the Katana, the THR or maybe something more obscure like the Joyo DC15-S.
I've gotta say, to me the Catalyst makes the Katana sound kinda dated in this demo:

The Catalyst kinda sounds a bit more "HD", that being said I still like both and still dunno what to get :lol:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone meanwhile more experience with the Catalyst? I've been playing on my Computer the past couple of years but I'm thinking about getting a practice amp again and I'm torn between this, the Katana, the THR or maybe something more obscure like the Joyo DC15-S.
I've gotta say, to me the Catalyst makes the Katana sound kinda dated in this demo:

The Catalyst kinda sounds a bit more "HD", that being said I still like both and still dunno what to get :lol:

The Katana uses 15 year old modelling tech. No wonder it sounds dated.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

I tried a Catalyst. Meh. Seriously. I thought it would be pretty good because of the touted HX modeling but I thought it was very lacking. They made some poor choices in terms of the amps they put in it imo. And you’re also kinda locked into specific “boosts” with each one.

Honestly, I’m still going to keep pimping the Vypyr 60 (or 120) as they sound way better than the Katana or Catalyst or other practice amps, and they can often be found for fairly cheap. The risk is that it’s no longer supported by Peavey so if you have issues you might be screwed. Worth the risk imo. If mine dies I’ll find another one.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
So I went ahead and got the 60 Watt Catalyst and holy fuck I´m in love! The presets are... let`s say mediocre but once you dig into the settings to build you own tone things get absolutely lovely. Especially when playing with sag and bias these things really come to life. Can it compete with a Helix in terms of versatility? No. Do they offer a shitload of tone (if you`re willing to dig deeper): Hell yeah!

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Just did the update to firmware 2.01 and I love it!
It adds 6 new amps and finally also the BADONK :wub:
i urge anyone with a Catalyst amp to do the update as well 👌