Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I found a bit of a workaround for this as it was bugging me as well.

A loaded up the 2 tone A-B template and worked it to have one amp as my high gain amp, one amp as my clean amp, and put the minotaur in front of the clean amp. clean, crunch, and high gain all on one patch. then I added the neccesary effects. Added a clean boost and delay to a footswitch for solos.

I ran out of DSP to cover all of the options I have and I only use all 3 amps clean, dirty, and high gain on one song. The rest I use 2 tones or only the high gain.

so I created the one specifically with the 3 tones and effects I use for that song (courtesean flanger comes on with crunch, then with clean it's reverb and delay, and high gain just a little verb.

for most of our stuff ( I play all originals) I created dual tone patches where it's solo/high gain or crunch/high gain) I can just ride this patch for 90% of our material. And I am running two amps in stereo as well. One is a Mesa/Engl setup and the other is a 5150/Bogner setup. they sound fricking amazing. you can really distinctly hear the two seperate amp sin stereo. Can't wait for a gig to hear FOH with this setup.

I put in the effects I use like flange, Hard Tremelo, etc and it worked perfectly.

I just recorded some tracks for the last tune on our new CD and now I want to go back and rerecord all of my guitar parts to get these same tones. :lol:

Overall very impressed. Ran the rig through my Eganter Vengeance and HK Grandmeister in stereo and found I had to reset the global EQ for teh live rig. I really think I'm just gonna pick up the Firehawk 1500 for a Wet.Dry.Wet FRFR Speaker system and go FOH from now on though. Just disable all of the modeling on that unit and use the helix through it.

Your patch set-up is essentially what I'm doing for live, but it feels like a compromise that I can't just switch from my insane heavy rhythm patch with the Meteor and the 5150 models to a clean patch with ALL of the effects that I've set up for recording/jamming. I can't fit all the clean stuff in the same patch as those two amps, no matter how I try, so for now I'm stuck using one drive amp and one clean amp in my live presets so I can switch without a hitch and I have to cut down on 'verbs and delays and mods on my clean channel, due to DSP reasons. When I build a "strictly" clean patch for home use, I like to layer subtle verbs and delays, maybe a parallel path, etc., but the 14.5 years it takes to switch patches between that and a lead/heavy rhythm patch means I can't really use either live, which kinda sucks. Good thing the amp modeling holds up either way.

mikah912

Reaction score
Your patch set-up is essentially what I'm doing for live, but it feels like a compromise that I can't just switch from my insane heavy rhythm patch with the Meteor and the 5150 models to a clean patch with ALL of the effects that I've set up for recording/jamming. I can't fit all the clean stuff in the same patch as those two amps, no matter how I try, so for now I'm stuck using one drive amp and one clean amp in my live presets so I can switch without a hitch and I have to cut down on 'verbs and delays and mods on my clean channel, due to DSP reasons. When I build a "strictly" clean patch for home use, I like to layer subtle verbs and delays, maybe a parallel path, etc., but the 14.5 years it takes to switch patches between that and a lead/heavy rhythm patch means I can't really use either live, which kinda sucks. Good thing the amp modeling holds up either way.

You think about picking up a cheap sub-$100 Zoom CDR pedal and putting it in the Helix FX loop to offload some of delay/reverb usage live?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
You think about picking up a cheap sub-$100 Zoom CDR pedal and putting it in the Helix FX loop to offload some of delay/reverb usage live?
I have...but if you start adding MFX to your MFX, it kinda defeats half the purpose for me. The whole reason I've been using modelers for the last 15 years or so is to have LESS stuff/cables to set-up/carry to a gig. I like carrying in my Helix backpack, guitar cases, and my two lightweight 12" PA speakers and being able to be set-up in like 3 minutes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
I have...but if you start adding MFX to your MFX, it kinda defeats half the purpose for me. The whole reason I've been using modelers for the last 15 years or so is to have LESS stuff/cables to set-up/carry to a gig. I like carrying in my Helix backpack, guitar cases, and my two lightweight 12" PA speakers and being able to be set-up in like 3 minutes.

Totally get that, but as your usage is a bit of an outlier and you really only need one additional set of always-available effects....I thought a tiny, tiny pedal that runs on batteries and can sit right next to your Helix without adding any weight or taking up space in your gig bag would be an easy problem solver.

There's no all-in-one floorboard that doesn't face DSP challenges for gapless switching between two DSP-intensive signal chains - even the Fractal AX8 with its Scenes and X/Y.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Totally get that, but as your usage is a bit of an outlier and you really only need one additional set of always-available effects....I thought a tiny, tiny pedal that runs on batteries and can sit right next to your Helix without adding any weight or taking up space in your gig bag would be an easy problem solver.

There's no all-in-one floorboard that doesn't face DSP challenges for gapless switching between two DSP-intensive signal chains - even the Fractal AX8 with its Scenes and X/Y.

Oh for sure, but L6 was able to optimize the code in the HD500X to get preset switching to an "acceptable" level after a little time, so I think they'll probably try and do the same with helix. I'd need something with MIDI so I could have different effects each time I switched it on. I'm definitely an outlier in that when it comes to recording, no two clean sounds are ever the same, so I'd need to change settings/effects on the Zoom with different patches, too. I'm definitely more than happy with the sounds I can pull out of the Helix for live use, it would just be nice to not have to compromise so much for the sake of clean patch switching. And I'll reiterate, in case Digital Igloo is reading.... Bury and extra DSP chip in the next generation that will allow pre-loading a full bank of patches for seamless patch changes and allow for cross-patch delay trails. If you're worried people will be miffed its not used for "better" modeling, tell them due to the hardware architecture (or some BS that we'll believe, lol) its not available for extended processing.

Jugghaid

Reaction score

I messed with this some more today.

I use the A-B switch template and set up the Vengeance with 4C method and use the clean channel on vengeance then 2 different amp models that i can switch between. Also I throw the Minotaur in there for a crunch channel or a boost on the higher gain channels fro soloing. SO I really get 4 or 5 tones in one patch. I also picked up a TRS cable today so I can also switch channels on the Vengeance and use the high gain channel there as well. that will give me a ton of options all within one patch. I'm set. This thing sounds glorious after I dialed in a really good template. Then I made a patch with a Bogner Shiva and a 5150 plus the 2 Egnater channels. The Angl Meteor patch and a boosted Park 75 and the two egnater patches, etc etc etc. If I need more than that in one patch I'll just hook up the midi cable for the Grandmeister and I cann have basically as many amps as I want in one patch.

All you really need is this pedal and a good 2 channel amp with a clean and dirty you really like and add the rest in to taste. Throw in a good distrotion model and you have a ton of possibilities.

BTW, the Shiva model with the master up a bit sounds so damn good for a crunch channel and if you play with the master, sag, and bias X on the Engl model, the tone is killer. And I have my density and presence on my tube amp at 12:00, basically flat.

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
I finally received my Helix and Alton TS115A and got to play around with for an hour or so. This is my first foray into DSP and I'm thoroughly impressed. The only issue I've had with putting together a simple set up is assigning the Exp 1/2 functions. I am trying to set a wah as one and a whammy as two but I haven't been able to get either to work. I have assigned both functions to "Exp toe." I looked a little on the Helix forums but the only information that I have gathered about the on board expression pedal is that you have to press hard as hell to activate the toe switch. Can anyone post a walk through of how to set up a multi function expression pedal? I would really appreciate it.

Digital Igloo

Line 6
Reaction score
I finally received my Helix and Alton TS115A and got to play around with for an hour or so. This is my first foray into DSP and I'm thoroughly impressed. The only issue I've had with putting together a simple set up is assigning the Exp 1/2 functions. I am trying to set a wah as one and a whammy as two but I haven't been able to get either to work. I have assigned both functions to "Exp toe." I looked a little on the Helix forums but the only information that I have gathered about the on board expression pedal is that you have to press hard as hell to activate the toe switch. Can anyone post a walk through of how to set up a multi function expression pedal? I would really appreciate it.
By default, Helix assigns both Wah and the Pitch Wham blocks to EXP 1 as soon as you add them. To reassign Pitch Wham to EXP 2:

1. Using the joystick, select the Pitch Wham block and press BYPASS to change its current state (Off or On) to that opposite of the Wah block. The Toe Switch will now toggle them back and forth.

2. Press and hold the Pitch Wham's Position knob. Helix jumps to the Controller Assign page for that parameter. Turn Knob 2 (Controller) to EXP 2.

3. Press HOME to exit.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
So I finally received my helix the other day. My main reaction is :agreed::scream::shred:

I'm running it 4CM with my amp, and using the EXT amp function. Getting a pretty bad ground loop, so I need to pick up a 1/4" iso transformer. Other than that, the sounds are killer!

The UI is also super easy to pick up, and obviously aimed at the user experience. This thing has a buttload of horsepower on tap, and I've barely even touched the surface of what it can do.

I picked up a pedalboard and case for it, but the board came warped, so I can't mount it, yet. Luckily, the company offered to send me a new board at no cost, so I should be able to get it affixed to its permanent home, soon (speaking of which, anybody want to buy a slightly warped pedalboard? :lol:) Made a cable loom last night with amp input, FX send & return, EXT amp function, and an XLR. Wrapped it in techflex and it's looking friggin' slick, guy.

kcjHFe1.jpg

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Question for all of you Helix gurus:

So, I have a patch setup to run in 4 cable method. The general rundown is that I have the clean and dirty amp channels switching on a footswitch, and that also sets up a reverb to be activated in the FX loop when the clean channel is on. I have a pad and overdrive on the clean channel (path B ), which are both footswitchable.

I noticed that when I was playing on the lead channel, I could hear the clean channels OD if I switched it on and off. To test this, I put a delay on the clean channel in front of the amp, and sure enough, I could hear the delay on the lead channel.

I've looked at my path up and down, and can't figure out why this is happening. I can't have the same thing happen if I do it in reverse, as in putting a delay on the lead channel and hear it on the clean channel. Only when I have something on the clean path does it come into path A.

Am I incorrect in thinking that when path B is engaged, the part in path A which is being split around should be inaudible and vice versa?

My split settings are A 100% and B 100% with each footswitch state.
85VJrf2.jpg

gErkDYB.jpg

(The delays in these pictures are all in the loop, but I DID have one of them in front of the amp before, while I was experimenting, which is the one I could hear)
Here's a link to the patch, if anybody wants to load it into their helix and give it a go: https://www.dropbox....scapes.hlx?dl=0

Help! I can't figure out whats going on, and I need to bang out a bunch of song-specific patches as I'm going on tour in a month

Vrollin

Reaction score
My understanding is yes how you have it set should work fine, however, I too have had issues getting this to work properly and cannot figure out why.
The only work around I can suggest is to go to the built in presets and find the template patch for a/b switching, copy all your block on to that. Using that patch to a/b seems to work however I cannot replicate it using the exact same split in a custom user patch from scratch....

that short guy

Reaction score
anyone else feel like one of the best things in the Helix is the 10 band EQ? I know that sounds a little silly but it's so much easier to notch the frequencies with it than any of the EQ's that were on the POD HD series. I really do love this thing

TasmanSam

Reaction score
anyone else feel like one of the best things in the Helix is the 10 band EQ? I know that sounds a little silly but it's so much easier to notch the frequencies with it than any of the EQ's that were on the POD HD series. I really do love this thing

It is awesome. I use it as a lead boost sometimes to bump the mids and the level, or in front of the amp to cut some flub from my 8 string.

ibzprestige

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got the rack version, out of the box are there any updates I have to do or anything I should know? I got the John Browne presets which are awesome, any others I should check out?

big_aug

Reaction score
My only wish now is a polyphonic pitch shifter. I don't want to buy a pedal to use. I want the helix to do it. I hate to have to use another piece of equipment, but who knows when helix will ever get it.

Damn DigiTech Drop is so expensive too:(

that short guy

Reaction score
I just got the rack version, out of the box are there any updates I have to do or anything I should know? I got the John Browne presets which are awesome, any others I should check out?

Depending on the firmware you have out of the box you'll want to update to the most recent

Where did you get John Browne presets?

that short guy

Reaction score
My only wish now is a polyphonic pitch shifter. I don't want to buy a pedal to use. I want the helix to do it. I hate to have to use another piece of equipment, but who knows when helix will ever get it.

Damn DigiTech Drop is so expensive too:(

It is expensive but it definitely works. I know that one of the guys in august burns red uses (or at least used to) it even though his Kemper has a quaility built in one. It works really well. and to be honest I don't see L6 being able to make a drop tune pedal that could out perform it. I'm hopeful because I love me some L6 but the drop tune is what I consider the top of the line pedal as far as pitch shifting a whole guitar down for more than just single note riffing. it actually does full chords and doesn't sound digital.

Thanks man, I didn't know he had put anything out for the helix yet.

that short guy

Reaction score
So I figured I'd actually contribute something besides words to this thread here's the main rhythm and bass tones that I came up with since I had it.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/helix-tone-demo[/SC]

I used the diamond plate and the epic to make this patch. I was trying to make a Mark IV/V sounding patch and while I didn't quite get it I really like what I came up with

The bass patch has a lot going on in it and to be honest I don't remember what I put in it lol.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: I have one other patch that I guess I could share. It's from the NGD I did for the helix. it's a comparison between the Helix and the POD HD tone. POD is first then the Helix.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/dual-rec-tone-comparison[/SC]