Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
I mean that’s the same when you buy a preamp or a cab or a mic. You’re still going to have to turn knobs and adjust EQ to make it do the thing you want it to. There’s never going to be an IR or EQ setting that’s got an “instant awesome” button. NDSP has made a lot of people think so just by being loud, lol.
Do we think that's what it is? I'm genuinely curious not trying to be sarcastic. I only recently got a HX Stomp and while I like it a lot so far and can definitely get good serviceable tones from it, I don't like another high gain amp sim on it nearly as much as I like what I get from my Granophyre plugin.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Do we think that's what it is? I'm genuinely curious not trying to be sarcastic. I only recently got a HX Stomp and while I like it a lot so far and can definitely get good serviceable tones from it, I don't like another high gain amp sim on it nearly as much as I like what I get from my Granophyre plugin.
Admittedly the Granophyre amp is a unique style of gain, but that’s more to do with the amp that’s modeled than it being better or worse than anything else. I’ve demo’d EVERYTHING that NDSP has released and haven’t found anything I didn’t think I needed compared to Helix. That is a great sounding amp/model, though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Admittedly the Granophyre amp is a unique style of gain, but that’s more to do with the amp that’s modeled than it being better or worse than anything else. I’ve demo’d EVERYTHING that NDSP has released and haven’t found anything I didn’t think I needed compared to Helix. That is a great sounding amp/model, though.

To me the main difference between NDSP and Helix Native was how long it took me to get a great tone, and the clear winner was NDSP.

Helix Native is an insane value for the money though, but since I can get away with 3-4 sounds I'm well covered with the Plini VST I use.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I legit couldn't hear any major differences, even when I found the reveal video. Honestly, the more I think about it, the less I want a 5153 model in the Helix because the Badonk covers the same ground.
But yeah, I see what you mean though. I found a "budget" version of the Granophyre amp plugin made by some russian dude, and it's definitely a super unique amp. I wouldn't be against L6 eventally putting it in the Helix.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
To me the main difference between NDSP and Helix Native was how long it took me to get a great tone, and the clear winner was NDSP.

Helix Native is an insane value for the money though, but since I can get away with 3-4 sounds I'm well covered with the Plini VST I use.
NDSP's strong point is creating products to a specific market and giving you great sounding presets. Up until the Metallurgy line I think Line 6 was really focusing on giving you all of the options to get those tones along with any other sound you've ever heard a guitar make, but you do all the work yourself. If I was running a commercial studio aiming at metal and hard rock production I would definitely buy NDSP plugins just for speed reasons.

Reaction score
I legit couldn't hear any major differences, even when I found the reveal video. Honestly, the more I think about it, the less I want a 5153 model in the Helix because the Badonk covers the same ground.
But yeah, I see what you mean though. I found a "budget" version of the Granophyre amp plugin made by some russian dude, and it's definitely a super unique amp. I wouldn't be against L6 eventally putting it in the Helix.
Ah yes, the Vadin Taranov sim. It's one of my favs

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Helix is arriving in the next couple of days and I'm still looking for an FRFR solution. I'll probably, at least for now, just plug it in the fx of my amp and try it with a normal cab but the FRFR cab is tempting.

What cab would you go for? I was looking at a 12" speaker like the Yamaha DXR12 or QSC K12. The cab format would be a plus but the Atomic or Friedman are waay out of budget.

lewis

Reaction score
Helix is arriving in the next couple of days and I'm still looking for an FRFR solution. I'll probably, at least for now, just plug it in the fx of my amp and try it with a normal cab but the FRFR cab is tempting.

What cab would you go for? I was looking at a 12" speaker like the Yamaha DXR12 or QSC K12. The cab format would be a plus but the Atomic or Friedman are waay out of budget.
it seems to get a tonne of hate, but I had dual Headrush 112s and they were absolutely unbelievable for me live and band practices. No idea if I got lucky but mine sounded godtier and were super loud. 12 o clock was louder than my drummer and perfect for stage monitoring.
Sold them when I stopped gigging but I would pick at least one up again in a heartbeat If I started playing live again

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

I’ve got a pair of EV ZLX12P speakers. Do rehearsal I only need one, and for any shows where we’re playing a real stage 1 is more than enough. I’ll drag out the second one if we need to play a basement or some dive with no real FOH. Just keep in mind that FrFr completely changes the sound from a live cab to a mic’d cab and lots of people don’t like that on stage.

Reactions: IGC
Reaction score
it seems to get a tonne of hate, but I had dual Headrush 112s and they were absolutely unbelievable for me live and band practices. No idea if I got lucky but mine sounded godtier and were super loud. 12 o clock was louder than my drummer and perfect for stage monitoring.
Sold them when I stopped gigging but I would pick at least one up again in a heartbeat If I started playing live again
This is my experience. It sounds great and I have NO volume problems. As a matter of fact it was ear splitting loud with just the Helix and Headrush on half. I turned it up just to see what would happen and me and the band all ran out of the room, shut the door and backed away. I hit a chord and it sounded like God was screaming in there. I don't see a reason to need anything louder than the Headrush 212 I've got

ATRguitar91

Reaction score

I will echo others that the Headrush stuff is solid. I had the 108 but sold it and kept the 112. Can get super loud and really fill a room.

It's accurate enough I think. Not as flat as my Yamaha HS5s, but that's easily compensated by adjusting your high and low pass.

Do you have any studio monitors? For lower volumes and the purest representation I think those are the best bet. I'm running my Stomp through monitors most of the time.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Do you have any studio monitors? For lower volumes and the purest representation I think those are the best bet. I'm running my Stomp through monitors most of the time
I have a pair of Mackie CR3.
General consensus just looking around the internet is that "cheaper" monitors and frfrf usually have boomy lows and harsh higs.
The headrush and Alto ts312 are generally included in that category, but you can get 2 of them for the price of 1 QSC.

The use would be gigging as main guitar output for stage and audience, since going FOH and monitoring is rarely a possibility in smaller venues.

That's why I was gravitating towards a cab format 2x12 but so far they seem all very expensive, at least more then PA speakers.

Reactions: IGC

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
General consensus just looking around the internet is that "cheaper" monitors and frfrf usually have boomy lows and harsh higs.
That's probably true, but that's easily fixed by adjusting the location of your high and low passes. I have a dedicated snapshot per patch for the FRFR, and the only thing I change is that I cut out more high and low frequencies and it sounds great.

If you're willing to spend more than by all means go for it, you'll probably get a better sound, but the Headrush stuff is more than adequate to me, especially if it will mainly be gigging/jams and you'll be relying on your monitors at home. If I ever play out again I'll definitely be using the Headrush.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I have a pair of Mackie CR3.
The headrush and Alto ts312 are generally included in that category, but you can get 2 of them for the price of 1 QSC.

The use would be gigging as main guitar output for stage and audience, since going FOH and monitoring is rarely a possibility in smaller venues.

That's why I was gravitating towards a cab format 2x12 but so far they seem all very expensive, at least more then PA speakers.
FWIW I lined up every 12” powered PA speaker in GC under $700 and the Yamaha and the EV ones sounded most accurate to me. Headrush/Alto/Harbinger were all pretty hyped in the low end, JBL and Mackie were also kinda boxy/boomy. QSC CP was pretty good, but the 10” cost as much as the 12” of everything else at the time and didn’t seem to have the volume. The best one I tried was the Friedman ASM, but that was way out of my price range since I wanted to find a pair for just in case.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
BTW, I noticed that Metallurgy lets you run dual IRs in it's cab block. Are there any rumors that they're going to include a dual-IR block in the next (or future) Helix update?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
BTW, I noticed that Metallurgy lets you run dual IRs in it's cab block. Are there any rumors that they're going to include a dual-IR block in the next (or future) Helix update?
There's been hints that SOME sort of cab update is coming to the hardware, but it sounds like it won't be as extensive as the Metallurgy cab section. Maybe @Digital Igloo wants to drop some cryptic, non-confirmation posts over here, too.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wish there were phase flipping and delay options for IR's in the Helix/helix native. Phase compensation of some kind seems like a no brainer to have 🤔

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Yeah some people seem to believe that there will be huge update to the cab section but I personally haven't seen anyone say anything other than that this will be "the biggest sonic upgrade".

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I wish there were phase flipping and delay options for IR's in the Helix/helix native. Phase compensation of some kind seems like a no brainer to have 🤔
So the only time I've run into issues with some free packs and some home-made ones. It seems like most of the major manufacturers edit for phase coherence.