Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new thread instead of tacking this onto the "Line 6's answer to the Axe-Fx?" thread.

Line 6 | POD HD

flexibility-features7.jpg

My opinion? Samples sound good, if only single-tracked, without backing tracks, and many of them with goofy processing. The JCM800, in particular, sounds really really authentic. :agreed: This will most likely be something that we'll have to personally take for a test drive, or wait for someone to make actual, good + music contextual demos of. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
* Awaits the endless berating of tone without considering how shitty L6 clips are, and they used a Variax :)ugh):.*

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah saw it earlier and downloaded all the manuals for it. Was getting really psyched reading up on it... but then I saw that it doesn't have the ability to carry over delay and reverb decay while switching patches. I mean wtf? It has a feature called "Trails" that keeps the decay going when switching the effects off, and even has a cool feature to just shutoff the loop send so external effect tails can decay, but it specifically says it does not work when switching presets. Bummer.

I was thinking of maybe returning the GT-10 and giving this a shot but I hate to lose features.

Rev.

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
As I expected more clean tone oriented amps than heavy hi-gain, and to think someone claimed that this would be L6's answer to the Axe-FX *shame* The sounds are horrible on their demo's and the videos talk about the 3 different products 2 of which have significantly less than the best. I wouldn't even compare this to POD Farm which imo is great. Line 6 should suggest people to "Spend all your money on a acoustic guitar cause clean airy sounds are all your gonna get with this product". I know not everyone plays metal or heavy driven music ,but seriously the clean low gain to high gain ratio amp sims on this product are like 14-2 . The ENGL sim and maybe the Dual Recto are probably the best they have for metal and shoot for the price of this unit, might as well save up for the Axe.

-1 L6 *shame*

Gus

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
* Awaits the endless berating of tone without considering how shitty L6 clips are, and they used a Variax :)ugh):.*

:lol::lol:

I came in here to post that.. it's hard to believe that they think the demos are flattering.

I'd like to try one, but I guess I'm stuck waiting for websites besides the ones in europe to put them up.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I expected more clean tone oriented amps than heavy hi-gain, and to think someone claimed that this would be L6's answer to the Axe-FX *shame* The sounds are horrible on their demo's and the videos talk about the 3 different products 2 of which have significantly less than the best. I wouldn't even compare this to POD Farm which imo is great. Line 6 should suggest people to "Spend all your money on a acoustic guitar cause clean airy sounds are all your gonna get with this product". I know not everyone plays metal or heavy driven music ,but seriously the clean low gain to high gain ratio amp sims on this product are like 14-2 . The ENGL sim and maybe the Dual Recto are probably the best they have for metal and shoot for the price of this unit, might as well save up for the Axe.

-1 L6 *shame*

Gus

Huh? 14-2?

If you can't get great high gain sounds out of a JCM800 or Uberschall, you're doing something waaaay wrong. Also, the Route 66, Twin Reverb, DR103, JTM, and even AC-30 will easily do some medium to hard rock tones with ease. Just because an amp's circuit (or in this case a model of it) isn't dripping with gain, doesn't mean they can't get heavy without some boosting and the right cab sim. A lot of the ultra-high gain beasts we use these days are based around the circuit of some of these lower gain amps.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not actually planning on getting one as I've gone all in-box (giggity)... but if a Line 6 developer is trolling around here: Get your shit together and roll out some real demos of the thing that actually mean something to the average buyer. Ditch the Variax, and get a generic Strat for the clean / bluesy sound, and an L.P. or something similar with hot pups for the heavy/rock sounds. Get someone who knows how to dial the tones in with respect to the style being demoed, get them the context of a mix, and have a little option on the applet for the listener to solo the tones out. This is your flagship product here, guys. :squint:

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I'm not actually planning on getting one as I've gone all in-box (giggity)... but if a Line 6 developer is trolling around here: Get your shit together and roll out some real demos of the thing that actually mean something to the average buyer. Ditch the Variax, and get a generic Strat for the clean / bluesy sound, and an L.P. or something similar with hot pups for the heavy/rock sounds. Get someone who knows how to dial the tones in with respect to the style being demoed, get them the context of a mix, and have a little option on the applet for the listener to solo the tones out. This is your flagship product here, guys. :squint:

Totally agree man. Makes me want to drive the 10 min from my house to L6 HQ bust in and demo em myself! :evil:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

:agreed:

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score

It seems like I'm the third person to quote this...

But I quote for truth, let's have some demos that actually represent the genre that they are going for. The demos sounded pretty bad to me, I'd like to hear quality as I am seriously considering getting one...that is if it really turns out to be a "poor man's" Axe-Fx. Otherwise I'll just grab Pod Farm or an X3...

Semi Rant over/

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
Huh? 14-2?

Well first of all I wanna state that I said "like 14-2" it was a ratio based on my opinion. I also said the ENGL and Recto are the best out of the 16 and that is where I made my 14-2 ratio.

If you can't get great high gain sounds out of a JCM800 or Uberschall, you're doing something waaaay wrong. Also, the Route 66, Twin Reverb, DR103, JTM, and even AC-30 will easily do some medium to hard rock tones with ease.

Yes I could dial in tone with the JSM800 and or the Uberschall, but I find myself having use EQ a lot more on those specific models than others for what I like to play. I have to do the same thing when I'm actually using those real amps in the studio and not amp sims.

Just because an amp's circuit (or in this case a model of it) isn't dripping with gain, doesn't mean they can't get heavy without some boosting and the right cab sim. A lot of the ultra-high gain beasts we use these days are based around the circuit of some of these lower gain amps.

I also want to point out that I normally don't need a lot of gain ,but certain amps imo use gain more efficiently than others. I am also aware that a lot of the "ultra-high gain beasts we use these days" are based on old circuits ,but that doesn't mean that the original model that had a influence on others will work for my needs.

Anyways I did my review and made my statement you don't have to agree with me and or understand. I'm aware that me and you don't see eye to eye on many things one of them being the floyd rose tremolo issue. It's all good lets just agree to disagree you made your point I made mine.

Cheers!
Gus

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
will wait for a rack mounted version + more high gain amps, especially the line 6 big bottom, 5150/6505 amps (if they do them)

I've got a Vetta + floorboard and it is great. Would only move to HD if it was rack mounted, and even then I cant be bothered getting a decent poweramp + rack cases, haha.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I was flipping through the manuals and I'm surprised at the level of difference between the 400 & 500. They have the same amps & models but apparently, on the 400 you can only run 3 effects at the same time (1 drive, 1 mod & 1 delay). On the 500, there's 8 "fx blocks" that you can basically assign any effect anywhere in the chain.

Isan

Contributor
Reaction score
Basically the 300 and 400 are jokes ... i am interested in the 500 though .... very interested

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Might have to switch out my ax3000 for one of these.

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
A first review is up :D Problem: I don't speak any Portuguese, so I don't understand a fing thing. :lol:

jaco815

Reaction score
Some of the sound demos on the Line 6 page are decent. The Twin sounds like a Twin, the Mesa sounds like a Mesa, the Snozzberries taste like snozzberries, etc.

Most of the audio demos are laughable cheesy crap though. If I hear another demo that is some rehashed rock crap I am going to stab my eyes. I'd still be able to hear it, but I will be distracted by the pain in my eyes.