Alex6534

Reaction score
Hey guys, I might be picking up either a hd500 or a hd pro soon. My main gripe with the unit is the lack of custom IR's but I also noticed on firmware 2.0 it got something called Deep Edit, can someone comment on how much of a difference this makes? I'd be using it through a mesa dual recto, an also an alto ts115A when applicable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that dual amp/cab patches have more latency that single amp patches.
Yesterday I was messing around with the treadplate and mixer panning, I created two patches, one with the treadplate in "pre" position (both channels L/R active and hard panned as default left and right), and one with the treadplate on the left channel and no amp on the right channel, with left channel at +12db panned at center and right channel on "mute") I am 99% sure there is a noticeable delay added in the second patch, and that's the main reason I'm concentrating on single amp tones rather than dual amps...

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score

meambobbo

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that dual amp/cab patches have more latency that single amp patches.
Yesterday I was messing around with the treadplate and mixer panning, I created two patches, one with the treadplate in "pre" position (both channels L/R active and hard panned as default left and right), and one with the treadplate on the left channel and no amp on the right channel, with left channel at +12db panned at center and right channel on "mute") I am 99% sure there is a noticeable delay added in the second patch, and that's the main reason I'm concentrating on single amp tones rather than dual amps...

I'm not sure that's true or not but even if so I can't imagine it's any more than say .1 ms. That may turn into a noticeable comb filter effect between channel a and b and other unwanted out of phase effects but on its own I don't think it's noticeable. I believe my audio interface has 3 ms latency and it is barely noticeable. What adds most latency is not the amp model but the cab/mic simulation. Try putting a neutral parametric eq to ch b to have it delayed to get closer to sync with ch a.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd hate to start a new thread for this, so I'll just ask here.

My pod hd bean keeps crashing my computer, and I don't know why. My drivers are all updated to the most recent ones, and I connect the pod via usb mainly for playing along with songs and occasionally laying down an idea. I have no idea why this is happening and I don't know whether it's my computer or the pod that has the issue. It is also very possible that I'm just a dumb asshole, so if that's it, feel free to say so :lol:

surfthealien

Reaction score
I would suspect PC issue. Do you use line6 monkey to update the drivers? I sometimes have the pod restart If I am switching presets to fast in HD edit no crashes or anything though

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I'd hate to start a new thread for this, so I'll just ask here.

My pod hd bean keeps crashing my computer, and I don't know why. My drivers are all updated to the most recent ones, and I connect the pod via usb mainly for playing along with songs and occasionally laying down an idea. I have no idea why this is happening and I don't know whether it's my computer or the pod that has the issue. It is also very possible that I'm just a dumb asshole, so if that's it, feel free to say so :lol:

When does the computer crash?

>When you turn the Pod on?
>While the Pod is on?
>When you turn the Pod off (or when you unplug the usb)?

I suspect that it may be the third, I did the same thing and did not understand why the computer was crashing.
In which case it would be because you turn it off with a DAW open with the Pod set as the input/output or while the Pod is sound output device and a file with audio is playing or while something with the computer is interacting with the Pod and once you turn it off (or unplug the usb) the computer "doesn't know" what's happening and goes to the Blue Screen and what not to protect itself.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
When does the computer crash?

>When you turn the Pod on?
>While the Pod is on?
>When you turn the Pod off (or when you unplug the usb)?

I suspect that it may be the third, I did the same thing and did not understand why the computer was crashing.
In which case it would be because you turn it off with a DAW open with the Pod set as the input/output or while the Pod is sound output device and a file with audio is playing or while something with the computer is interacting with the Pod and once you turn it off (or unplug the usb) the computer "doesn't know" what's happening and goes to the Blue Screen and what not to protect itself.

Actually it crashes randomly. If I have a youtube video up the sound will just stop and the video will pause, and then I can't do anything really. I try to change the default sound device and nothing happens.
All the sounds just don't happen. My computer eventually just brings up a blue error screen and then restarts and performs a crash dump. If I try to restart my computer before the blue screen comes up, It takes about 15 minutes to shut down and then still performs a crash dump.

I can get around this if when the issue arises I unplug the pod and yank the battery out of my laptop and then restart it. It's really annoying and I'm gonna try and use an old and cheap lexicon interface I have to see if that will fix this.

Alex6534

Reaction score
Oh one more question, I have an ISP decimator and I'm unsure whether to sell it to help fund the hd500 or not. How is the gate on it? I'd be using it with an active monitor AND part of a mesa dual rec rig. With the hd500 being used for most of the modulations.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Oh one more question, I have an ISP decimator and I'm unsure whether to sell it to help fund the hd500 or not. How is the gate on it? I'd be using it with an active monitor AND part of a mesa dual rec rig. With the hd500 being used for most of the modulations.

i haven't used the ISP, but I have no complaints about the Hard Gate effect on the HD. It has open/close thresholds, so you don't get the jitter/zipper effect when the signal is right on the cusp with a single threshold unit. Standard Hold/Decay parameters. Gate clicks on/off very quickly without making itself too obvious.

The "Noise Gate" effect I believe is modeled on a Boss Noise Reduction pedal, which isn't simply a gate. I don't like this one - one threshold setting and it does more than gate - sucking out some tone at higher threshold settings.

meambobbo

Reaction score

curious about how you intend to run things. the mod effects on the HD are probably one of its weakest features.

also, i'm not sure about how you intend to run this. you want to run a dual recto and active monitor simultaneously? give me some more info. what you want to do might not be possible. or if it is, it might not be what you're thinking.

for example, there's no option to run cab/mic simulation on the Pod without also using an amp model. So if you use the dual recto as your pre-amp, you'll have to run that signal through at least a pre-amp model on the Pod to have it use the cab/mic sims, then send that to your active monitor.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
I was not talking about market share at all. I was talking about quality. Im not sure how that was unclear :lol:

You make everything unclear. :lol:

But all I am saying, the Pods being what they are definitely have something to do with the market they are targeted at. If Line 6 wanted I am sure they could manage something in the league of the Axe-fx.

Alex6534

Reaction score
curious about how you intend to run things. the mod effects on the HD are probably one of its weakest features.

also, i'm not sure about how you intend to run this. you want to run a dual recto and active monitor simultaneously? give me some more info. what you want to do might not be possible. or if it is, it might not be what you're thinking.

for example, there's no option to run cab/mic simulation on the Pod without also using an amp model. So if you use the dual recto as your pre-amp, you'll have to run that signal through at least a pre-amp model on the Pod to have it use the cab/mic sims, then send that to your active monitor.

No no I mean I'll either be using it WITH a powered monitor OR a mesa dual recto. The monitor for my `grab and go` rig and the mesa for my bigger gigs. I'd either be using preamp and cab simulation with the pa speaker or just the pre with the powered monitor.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

I have a decimator pedal that I've tried using instead of the hard gate, and if anything the hard gates works better. Probably has something to do with the options of where it can be placed, but I found that I didn't need it.

That being said, if your really close to your dsp limit, the fx loop uses less than the hard gate so you could save a space there. Or even run it pre-hd to eliminate a slot in the chain altogether. But as I said, the build in works just as well or better. My decimator and my maxon od808 have been collecting dust since I got my hd500.

I have used my mxr carbon copy delay with good results though ;)

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
how well does the pod hd fare as an interface for recording and using vst amp sims? I was hoping I wouldn't need to shell out for a separate interface...